ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delay and Bumb Noise - Bank Changes  (Read 3435 times)

Hanneman213

Delay and Bumb Noise - Bank Changes
« on: Time Format »

Can any improvements or modifications be applied to reduce the delay when bank changes ? Clean sound comes like a ''fade in'' in a very short time. Also I have a bumb like sound when I change my bank from Crunch to clean.
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

Hanneman213

Re: Delay and Bumb Noise - Bank Changes
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Ops. I did not realized that below topic is about my concern.I will read it first. Sorry.
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Hanneman213, there's 2 bits to this (if I understand correctly):
Delay between patch changes - the last EPROM for MP2 is v1.41 (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  If your MP2 isn't v1.41 (displays when you turn it on) then this EPROM will make your patch changes faster (it was a problem in the early models (which I bought BTW)).  But you also have to go into the System Edit menu, scroll (left arrow, 3 clicks) around until you find Program Change Speed, set it to Fast (default is Normal) BTW this is not available in the original EPROM, it was issued as a (very needed) update.
Now the pop/bump is another thing, I get it as well going from crunch/dist to clean, I get a pop if I'm still playing across the change (letting a chord ring etc).  But my recollection is I didn't used to get it, it's come in over time (as I haven't changed anything in the patches). I get around it by making sure I make a space (in playing) while I change the patch, not ideal but works for now.  I'm wondering if it's the compressor circuit/IC as I have that only on my clean patch but not on my rhythm/dirty patch(s).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Hanneman213

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yes Mine is V 1.41.Today I made my all crunch settings all same in volume and Od And increased some mids and trebs in leads. It really improved the transition between banks.
I also modded the resistor 611.Finally I found 3.0 mohms resistor. It finished the chatter, okay but, you know we all need long sustains after we bend. My hiss/noise cuts in threshold 16 and I stop there. Maybe I close the gate in leads. I will look at the situation.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

IIRC I used to run my gate on 25 and fader. You can look into doing the MP2 noise mod, 21 caps and R913 (which is under one of the tubes).  MJMP has a kit that includes all the components you need.  2 of my MPs have been modded, 2 are still stock. Have a look at the instructions, if you do the test point measurement, if it's just under 190v (eg 187v) then R913 is probably ok. If R913 it's more than 190, R913 should be replaced.

That you had to change R611 means it's an early unit as this was already changed in all the later ones.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up