ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery-less mod  (Read 22005 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Battery-less mod
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

@Harley, I think the MP-2 came out in 93 not 89? And you're correct about the classic, that was 94.

I got my 1st MP-2 in 1990, and it was used because the guy who bought it couldn't figure out how to use it, so I got a deal on it :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

In many ways the battery holder is easier. You get them from an electronics (or decent computer) store (we have Jaycar here) and you need one that mounts flat (parallel to the PCB), or as I said just buy it from MJMP.  Regardless the old battery has to be de-soldered and removed.  You can get batteries (3v lithium) with the lugs in the right place (all the ones I've seen here in stores are in the WRONG place). It is possible to solder wires onto a battery and do it that way but NOT recommended. MikeB did this and it wasn't easy (he said) not to mention heating the battery up with a soldering iron to make the solder flow isn't a good idea, lithium batteries don't like to get hot LoL. You can also get a battery with lugs attached and solder wires to the lugs and then to the PCB, it will work but isn't very tidy/elegant.

Man that was a tough thing trying to desolder the lugs off the battery when I did my mod! I never did get that solder joint to break free so I did it the regular ( and easy ) way by just removing it from the other side of the board and putting in the new holder and battery.
 I'm pretty sure this is the easiest mod to do on an MP-1   :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

While you're at it, and in cross reference to your tube swapping, remove the U4 OpAmp (TL072) and replace it with a socket and put a BurrBrown OPA2604. Lower noise, more dynamics and more "tube-like" feel and sound!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

While you're at it, and in cross reference to your tube swapping, remove the U4 OpAmp (TL072) and replace it with a socket and put a BurrBrown OPA2604. Lower noise, more dynamics and more "tube-like" feel and sound!

Whoa you just opened a can of worms for me SC  :lol:

OK pics please - show me where this chip is and give me a little run down what it may do if you please  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

OK pics please - show me where this chip is and give me a little run down what it may do if you please  :D

Dual OpAmp U4 is an OpAmp gain stage that is located directly before- and feeds the 1st tube stage. The BurrBrown OPA2604AP is an audiophile OpAmp that is known for a very "tube-like" behaviour when "driven" and in this sense is way more dynamic and harmonically rich that the "standard" TL072....it also has lower noise floor (the less "noise" you feed into the tube stages the less will get amplified through 4 tube stages (quadrupled) and come out at the end).
Check Noise mod instructions, page 9 for pics and location:
http://adadepot.com/mods/ADA_MP-1_Noise-Mod_Doc.pdf
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Dual OpAmp U4 is an OpAmp gain stage that is located directly before- and feeds the 1st tube stage. The BurrBrown OPA2604AP is an audiophile OpAmp that is known for a very "tube-like" behaviour when "driven" and in this sense is way more dynamic and harmonically rich that the "standard" TL072....it also has lower noise floor (the less "noise" you feed into the tube stages the less will get amplified through 4 tube stages (quadrupled) and come out at the end).
Check Noise mod instructions, page 9 for pics and location:
http://adadepot.com/mods/ADA_MP-1_Noise-Mod_Doc.pdf

Could be really cool, but a little more involved than I'd want to get on my own - something I'd have MJMP do, which I think he may have done some of that with my unit he has now. But thank you for sharing! SC!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Sawapping that OpAmp is as easy as doing the Battery Mod ;-) Swing that soldering iron with confidence!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Sawapping that OpAmp is as easy as doing the Battery Mod ;-) Swing that soldering iron with confidence!!

May have to give that a try - are those ICs available at Radio Shack or can I order them online?
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Dunno if RatShack has them....
Mouser is outta stock of OPA2604AP at the moment...
Maybe Digikey and definitely eBay....get an 8Pin DIP IC socket as well.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

It seems they (TI) doesn't make them anymore. Mouser informed me about this about a year ago so I bought their remaining stock (about 100 pieces).
@Danny, I haven't changed it in the mp-1, if you want I can, I always put in an IC socket so you can also experiment with other opamps should you not like it (which I doubt).So let me know and I'll change it.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

It seems they (TI) doesn't make them anymore. Mouser informed me about this about a year ago so I bought their remaining stock (about 100 pieces).
@Danny, I haven't changed it in the mp-1, if you want I can, I always put in an IC socket so you can also experiment with other opamps should you not like it (which I doubt).So let me know and I'll change it.

Thank you for that offer but I better leave it stock MJMP; I would worry that if I REALLY like it and it goes out and can't get it again.  :facepalm:

But I thank you for letting me know that MJMP! I have several more MP-1s to send you my friend - Jason and I now have 9 units and you will end up getting several of them because of how they misbehave  :-[
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

hey Danny, no need to worry. Go for the socketed U4 with an OPA2604. They don't wear like tubes do. IIRC it's npart of the new noise mod 8as well as MJMPs Ultra and Ultra+ mods) anyway.
You can still get the ICs at various places.
@MJMP...on a sidenote: We have a district here in Tokyo (Akihabara) nick-named "Electronic District"....any special stuff you want me to look out for? I'll be on R&R in Germany in July and can bring stuff to Europe in my luggage and then ship it over from Germany to Belgium...just sayin...

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

hey Danny, no need to worry. Go for the socketed U4 with an OPA2604. They don't wear like tubes do. IIRC it's npart of the new noise mod 8as well as MJMPs Ultra and Ultra+ mods) anyway.
You can still get the ICs at various places.
@MJMP...on a sidenote: We have a district here in Tokyo (Akihabara) nick-named "Electronic District"....any special stuff you want me to look out for? I'll be on R&R in Germany in July and can bring stuff to Europe in my luggage and then ship it over from Germany to Belgium...just sayin...

OK real good to know SC - thanks Bro!!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up