ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Love For The Digitech Valve FX?  (Read 30019 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Any Love For The Digitech Valve FX?
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, it seems from the manual (simple block diagram) that you can bypass the distortion section (just after the compressor) thus feed in a signal (albeit at inst level) and then just apply effects to it.  The outputs will be line level so you will need to adjust for that.  So depends on how you patch it.  As the input is designed for a guitar, you'll have to be careful not to overload it but it should work.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

I haven't taken much time with this unit to dial anything in or rackmount it, so I'm just using it as a practice amp right now through the effects return of my Spider Valve.  It has some gnarly cleans, all way too overblown for what I need right now, so I'm mostly interested in dumbing it down a bit. 

I see that there are explicit instructions saying NOT to plug in a standard MIDI foot controller into one of the jacks because it'll blow up the unit or something, so I guess I need to search for the Control One if I actually want to use the whammy function.  Anyone know of a workaround?  An adapter, maybe?
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

I just had a quick look at the manual and it does have midi in and out. You just have to be carefull not to plug in the midi controller into the footswitch connector since this input uses the same 5 pin connector as midi. So hooking up a midi pedal to the midi in is no problem. It does midi program and control change.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Does anyone happen to know how to get my MIDI controller to talk to the whammy on this?  I routed every which way not too long ago and it wasn't liking anything I was sending to it.  I'm using An ART X15.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, try the manual MJMP posted, CC stuff starts page 48, you need to assign a MIDI CC expression pedal to the whammy parameter.  The pedal will have a CC number (with my ADA MXC moving the pedal shows its controller number when you are assigning it, IIRC 31 and 32) which can be changed (depending).  The parameter you want to change/effect must be something included in the selected patch, so you will need to include the whammy in the patch.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

I did a factory reset on the Valvefx and plugged in the X15 via the MIDI In, so it's at least able to switch between programs on a 1:1 ratio.  Now, the part I'm still stuck on is assigning the X15s Continuous Control to talk to the Valvefx.

I did the setup process on the X15 (holding mode and 1) and it showed that it was CC 4, which was what IntPedal on the ValveFx was assigned to.  (The ValveFx manual doesn't do a good job of specifying the difference between Internal and External Pedals, but I think the Internal refers to the proprietary Ground Control pedal, which I do not have). 

I then go to calibrate the CC pedal, pushing it forward is fine, but when it's time to push it back it reads "Calibrate error." 

I suppose I could just try and track down the Ground Control, but I feel like the X15 can already do all of the same thing, it just simply won't play nice. 
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

The CC stuff can do your head in a bit.  When I worked out the MB1 CC stuff it took a few reads of the manual to get my head around it, but it uses a "slots" kind of structure which is like another layer in between the controller/pedal and the patch parameter...  CC4 seems a low number for an expression pedal given the MXC assigns 31 and 32 to the expression pedal inputs.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Found this in the manual of the X15

Pedal Test Mode

You may set up the X-15 to display visually the “value” of the expression pedals. Directly after power-up and before thedisplay shows Art, press simultaneously the BYPASS, 9 and 10 pads. You are now in pedal test mode. Moving either pedal will show the pedal’s hexadecimal value in the numeric display (00 to 7F). The first digit of the display will show either an "L" or “r” indicating which pedal has most recently moved, and its value. Exit by pressing the MODE button, When you are viewing the pedal value no MIDI information is being sent out the MIDI Out port. While you are in this mode, press any activator pad except the MODE pad and the software version will be displayed.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

So this will show where (the hex value) the pedal is in it's sweep (from 00 to 7F or min to max) but you need the pedals CC assignment number so you can associate it with the Valve FX parameter.  For example, the first expression pedal socket in the ADA MXC pedal defaults to #31.  So in my MP2, I assign CC #31 to Stereo Master Volume but I could assign it to something else e.g. Wah.  Generally with these CC thingys you can set the CC number at both ends.  With the MP2, when you are assigning a CC button or pedal to a parameter, pressing the button or sweeping the pedal lets the MP2 detect what CC number the button or the pedal has been assigned.  But you can change the value to any valid CC number but you need to make sure it's the same as whatever has been assigned to the button or pedal in the MIDI (foot) controller. 
When the CC numbers are set the same in both send and receive device (in MXC and MP2 it's #31 for above example), you still need to get the pedal and device parameter to "Latch" (or it wont do anything).  To "Latch" you need to sweep the pedal past the value the receive parameter is currently set to.  So when I turn my MP2 on, I have to sweep the expression pedal past whatever the Stereo Master Volume is currently set to to get it to "Latch" and then start working.  So I just do a full sweep up and down to get it working.  I think I described this in more detail in the MB1 CC post I did ages ago.  It's also described in the MB1, MP2 manuals.When you do the calibration, it probably only needs to find the Max value so maybe you don't need to do the push back?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Maybe the test is good for him to test if the pedals work. Also found in the manual that the left pedal is CC4 and the right CC11 unless it has been changed.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Found this in the manual of the X15

Pedal Test Mode

You may set up the X-15 to display visually the “value” of the expression pedals. Directly after power-up and before thedisplay shows Art, press simultaneously the BYPASS, 9 and 10 pads. You are now in pedal test mode. Moving either pedal will show the pedal’s hexadecimal value in the numeric display (00 to 7F). The first digit of the display will show either an "L" or “r” indicating which pedal has most recently moved, and its value. Exit by pressing the MODE button, When you are viewing the pedal value no MIDI information is being sent out the MIDI Out port. While you are in this mode, press any activator pad except the MODE pad and the software version will be displayed.

I just tried this out and the display on the X15 is blank, unless I push any activator pad, which shows "-16"
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

So it seems there is a problem with your pedals. I'll see if I can find a schematic.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

Well I found a really bad copy of the schematics and from what I can see the pedals don't work with a potentiometer but they are optical. So I looked around and found on YT a video about the strips used in the X15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFksy7imYLY

So my guess is that these work in similar way as an optical encoder. Maybe your stips are dirty or the optics (send/recieve) are dirty.

BTW anyone here have a scribd account, I found some schematics there but don't have an account.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Well I found a really bad copy of the schematics and from what I can see the pedals don't work with a potentiometer but they are optical. So I looked around and found on YT a video about the strips used in the X15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFksy7imYLY

So my guess is that these work in similar way as an optical encoder. Maybe your stips are dirty or the optics (send/recieve) are dirty.

BTW anyone here have a scribd account, I found some schematics there but don't have an account.

So would you recommend going in there with some contact cleaner to see if that's the issue?
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Noooo no contact cleaner, that could ruin those strips. The thing is I don't know how it looks inside, I just had a look at the schematics and that YT video. But I'm sure it's optical with stripes on plastic strip and some send recieve leds I think (probably infra red) between the strip. So it could be the strip is dirty or the leds or one of the send/recieve leds. Actually the reciever is not a led but it looks like one. Maybe try to open it up and post some pics so I can have a look, or you can also mail them to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up