• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Line 6 Helix

Started by Dante, January 21, 2017, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante

So, I went to see a friend's band last night. Like me, they use in-ear monitors. Unlike me, the guitar player doesn't bring an amp, just runs direct. I told him not to do that, because when people get close to the stage (and the mains) they cannot hear the guitar. Did he listen? No.

Anyway, he was using a fancy new pedal board that I hadn't seen. I could see that it said Line 6 on the back, and it had very pretty multi colored lights on it  :banana-trip: but the sound was unremarkable. Granted, the sound man had plenty to do with that. But, I went home last night to see what the hell it was and found out its the Helix. It cost $1500!!!!

Jeezus, you know how many ADA rigs you could build for that kind of money?  :facepalm:

I'm going to see them play again tonight, at a different venue, hopefully with a better sound man. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kim

I was looking at that Helix in a catalog thinking "that might be good for a 'fly' rig"....but not for that much money!   :crazy:

vansinn

To be fair to those boards (or rack dittos) and the price..
Building a complete rig with rack gear, amp and speakers will easily set you back a good deal too.

WRT sound, the Line 6 thingies do require a good amount of programming.
When done right, they can sound pretty good for certain sounds.
I'll see if I have the links to a dude who can really tweak 'em - hold the horse till then, and don't spook it!

Yup, found it. Now this isn't for the Helix but rather the HD500, but to my knowledge, same principles applies.

LINE 6 POD HD500 HUGE MULTITRACK RECORDING ☆ Chris Beaver  (it's a six part series)

Iperfungus

Mmmmmh.....I used or tested enough digital units with emulations, profiles or physical models to have the idea that there's nothing you cannot do with a good audio interface, a PC and any software like Amplitube.
You can achieve good results using impulses, maybe...but, at the end, all this stuff has the same flavour: digital.

They do not sound crappy or bad, let's be honest.
But they loose something very important: dynamics.

I keep repeating that you can put together a complete and very good rack at a fraction of the cost of a Axe FX, Kemper ore Helix.
And it will sound better a lot for sure.

Just a single Lexicon MPX G2 will easily destroy them.
Add an ADA MP-1 in its loop and say goodbye to profiles.
On the run again!

Iperfungus

Quote from: Kim on January 21, 2017, 10:57:29 AM
I was looking at that Helix in a catalog thinking "that might be good for a 'fly' rig"....but not for that much money!   :crazy:

Fly rig = Zoom 9150 + Valvestate 8008 + Zoom 8050 and FP01 + 2U very good rack case

Total cost = 50 + 70 + 75 + 60 = 255 euros

Add some cables and forget other "fly rigs".  :metal:
On the run again!

Dante

Don't get me wrong, I think some of these things sound good....in a bedroom. Once you go live, they sound lifeless IMHO. No umph, no dynamics, no balls.

Impulse Response = EQ settings, nothing more

My 2¢

Iperfungus

Quote from: Dante on January 21, 2017, 02:22:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think some of these things sound good....in a bedroom. Once you go live, they sound lifeless IMHO. No umph, no dynamics, no balls.

Impulse Response = EQ settings, nothing more

My 2¢

+1

No miracles at all.
Until there's stuff with tubes inside, there's no way.   :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon

And you can notice the big difference only when you play with digital stuff: if you just listen, the sounds are awesome.
But, as soon as you connect a guitar and play 2 notes, you'd feel what I mean.
On the run again!

rnolan

The other thing I'd say re tube setups (and their abundance of dynamics) and analogue gear in general, is that you (easily) can make you own tone.  Something I did from the get go over 40 years ago. These days it seems everyone just wants it in a box (or that's what it's being sold on).

I'd encourage any new guitarist to beg/borrow an old Marshall (no master vol), crank it right up and learn to play.... >:D :metal:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

Quote from: rnolan on January 22, 2017, 04:50:21 AM
I'd encourage any new guitarist to beg/borrow an old Marshall (no master vol), crank it right up and learn to play.... >:D :metal:

That's the way WE learned!!!  :thumb-up:

I still remember when I was 14 years old and I attempted to learn Riff Raff from a vinyl AC/DC live LP on my old stereo...  :banana-guitar:
With amp stuff is the same: start from the difficult side!
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

Quote from: Iperfungus on January 22, 2017, 08:34:48 AM
Quote from: rnolan on January 22, 2017, 04:50:21 AM

That's the way WE learned!!!  :thumb-up:

I still remember when I was 14 years old and I attempted to learn Riff Raff from a vinyl AC/DC live LP on my old stereo...  :banana-guitar:
With amp stuff is the same: start from the difficult side!

Oh so true !!

rnolan

Ahh 14, over 40 years ago... The best sound (I remember) I had a 2nd hand Navarra Les Paul (precursor to Ibenez I think) > mic preamp kit I built (9v battery) > crystal input of old tube radio gram (it had a turntable with a serious needle LoL), 5w speaker out > ETI 413 100w transistor power amp kit (I also built) > 2 x 20w Phillips twin cone HiFi speakers (each in 4 cubic foot boxes, my dads old stereo cabs). It sounded awesome (though obviously I didn't understand gain structure back then  :facepalm: ).  The ETI 413 had a speaker fuse (no power fuse  :dunno: ), I blew 3 of them (then had none left). Drummer suggested cigarette packet tin foil to repair the fuse  :whoohoo!: :facepalm: bad idea, the first speakers I ever fried.

Iperfungus

Quote from: rnolan on January 23, 2017, 03:55:36 AM
Ahh 14, over 40 years ago... The best sound (I remember) I had a 2nd hand Navarra Les Paul (precursor to Ibenez I think) > mic preamp kit I built (9v battery) > crystal input of old tube radio gram (it had a turntable with a serious needle LoL), 5w speaker out > ETI 413 100w transistor power amp kit (I also built) > 2 x 20w Phillips twin cone HiFi speakers (each in 4 cubic foot boxes, my dads old stereo cabs). It sounded awesome (though obviously I didn't understand gain structure back then  :facepalm: ).  The ETI 413 had a speaker fuse (no power fuse  :dunno: ), I blew 3 of them (then had none left). Drummer suggested cigarette packet tin foil to repair the fuse  :whoohoo!: :facepalm: bad idea, the first speakers I ever fried.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a hell of a DIYer!!!
On the run again!

rnolan

Hey Max, I've got a bit more sensible over the years, but still up for an "out there" idea LoL. My next (main) amp back then was my 1973 Marshall 50  >:D which developed a hum (over thousands of gigs) and is now fixed  :whoohoo!: . Next rig I build (which is a bit sideways for me) will (maybe) be MP-1 (Fx probably in loop (I just want a little bit of mild delay and reverb, though, like MJMP, I'm not fond of the MP-1 loop) > Marshall (direct to power amp jack input (recent mod)) and 1 x (2 x 12) ADA slant split stack. This is how MJMP uses his Marshalls (but he has 2  :facepalm: ) so can preserve stereo... and he has a bunch of Marshall cabs...

Iperfungus

Quote from: rnolan on January 23, 2017, 06:14:13 AMNext rig I build (which is a bit sideways for me) will (maybe) be MP-1 (Fx probably in loop (I just want a little bit of mild delay and reverb, though, like MJMP, I'm not fond of the MP-1 loop) > Marshall (direct to power amp jack input (recent mod)) and 1 x (2 x 12) ADA slant split stack. This is how MJMP uses his Marshalls (but he has 2  :facepalm: ) so can preserve stereo... and he has a bunch of Marshall cabs...

Mmmmh.....it will be a nice rig for sure.
I agree about MP-1 send/return: I do not love it too much as well.  :wave:

MJMP WHO?  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azwU5rrrlVg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the run again!

Dante

Quote from: Iperfungus on January 23, 2017, 06:27:46 AM
Quote from: rnolan on January 23, 2017, 06:14:13 AMNext rig I build (which is a bit sideways for me) will (maybe) be MP-1 (Fx probably in loop (I just want a little bit of mild delay and reverb, though, like MJMP, I'm not fond of the MP-1 loop) > Marshall (direct to power amp jack input (recent mod)) and 1 x (2 x 12) ADA slant split stack. This is how MJMP uses his Marshalls (but he has 2  :facepalm: ) so can preserve stereo... and he has a bunch of Marshall cabs...

Mmmmh.....it will be a nice rig for sure.
I agree about MP-1 send/return: I do not love it too much as well.  :wave:

MJMP WHO?  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azwU5rrrlVg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well well well, thanks for sharing that vid, I have subscribed  :thumb-up: