ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Power adapter for MPC  (Read 8760 times)

Flemmigan

Power adapter for MPC
« on: Time Format »

Hey everyone,

I ended up with an MPC midi pedal through a purchase on CraigsList; while it was a cheap buy, it did not come with a power adapter. I figured I would be able to find one online, but this has turned out to be more difficult than I thought. I've tried a number of generic adapters but none of them have provided power to the pedal. It also doesn't seem to get phantom power from my Axe-FX. I also haven't been able to find much information (e.g. user manual) for the MPC. Does anybody have any information about where I could get a power adapter?

Thanks!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Power adapter for MPC
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I am not sure if you have an MXC or a MC-1 pedal, but both manuals are available on this page

The MXC has a different size end for the power supply, it's not the same as most stompboxes. If you look online, OneSpot has a set of adapters for their power supplies & I'm sure one of those would fit, but I have not tried. Here's the whole kit on MF
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

the easiest is to get a 9V AC!! (no DC) power supply, this always works (no polarity issues).

A DC will also work but here the connector has to have the right polarity.

Flemmigan

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thank you both!

Here's a pic of the pedal.

It looks a lot like the MXC from the manual for that one, but slightly different. I would assume it's functionally identical, although I haven't been able to find any information about it online... It's a bit of an anomaly. Regardless, if it is basically an MXC, that helps a lot.

The FAQ on the ADA webpage states that the power adapter is 2.5mm x 5.5mm with center negative. This helps a lot. The other adapters I've tried before were either wrong size (in the case of the 9V AC adapter I tried) or wrong polarity (the 9V DC adapter with changeable plug tips). Now that I know it's a 2.5mm, I ordered a 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapter and I'll give it a go. I'll let you know the results. Hopefully I can unlock this guy's potential soon.  ;)

Thanks again.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

That looks exactly like my MXC. I wonder what the difference is  :dunno:

Be sure to let us know what worked, for future reference

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

The MPC was in between the MC-1 and the MXC (http://web.archive.org/web/20040217022455/http://www.adadepot.com:80/adagear/gearpages/pedals/ADA-MPC.htm), so MC-1 came out with MP-1 originally, MPC has much the same functionality to MC-1 but a better footprint (2 rows of buttons so no so wide), the MXC is basically the MPC but with CC (pedal and switch) options added.
I found some perfect 9V AC adapters (wall warts) from Jaycar in Australia, Model KSLFB0900055W1AU, Input 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.15A, Output 9.0V --- 0.55A, you should be able to source something equivalent in the US.  They come with a range of tips and one of them was just perfect for my MXC pedals.

Unfortunately, the wayback time machine link above to the old depot site doesn't include a manual, pics or schematic (the links don't work  :facepalm: ), but if anyone has the CD that Jur put together way back when, it should be on there.  My guess is that the MXC manual is the same as the MPC manual (functions options) except for the CC additions (which came with MP-2/MXC).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey R, that's not a AC adaptor but a DC which will also work.

Now I have that CD if someone needs it but it's 760Mb. Maybe we could put it online somewhere?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Now I have that CD if someone needs it but it's 760Mb. Maybe we could put it online somewhere?

We should put it onto Dropbox. I can add stuff from there

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, it says on it it's an AC adapter, but I did take note of the polarity when fitting the tip, so maybe it's DC out ?  Anyway nice slimline adapter and no overly expensive.

You can use one of those file transfer services to send it to Dante (e.g. https://wetransfer.com/) and I'd like a copy as well, you just send it to the persons email address.  At some point I'd like to download a copy of all the original depot pages and make all the gear links work again, then add it to the current site.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Well the thing was that it worked between 110-240V so that means it's a switching psu, so it will have DC out.

Just did a wetransfer to the admins (hope I got everybody). There are 5 zip files and it's about 387Mb.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

GOT IT! Thanks MJMP, I'll let you know if I have any difficulties at all.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, got the files, all good  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

So here's the MPC manual, you have to set the midi channel with dip switches.

Flemmigan

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Thank you all for the great discussion and information!

I wanted to let you all know that a 2.1 to 2.5 mm plug adapter did the job beautifully. I used this part and plugged it on the end of my run of the mill Visual Sound 9V pedal adapter. Plugged a MIDI cable into my Axe FX and I was patch switching like a dream (finally!). The only issue was that if I daisy chained it with my other pedals, there was a terrible hissing noise. No problem at all when powering the pedal on its own.

Bottom line, it seems that any standard 9V guitar pedal adapter (center negative) with a 2.1 to 2.5 mm plug adapter works fine for the MPC.

Maybe some will have luck using a 7 pin MIDI cable to power it, but I didn't.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

FYI: In order for the 7-pin midi cable to provide phantom power, you have to plug your adapter into the port on the back of your MP-1. It's the same size as the one for the pedal, it doesn't work without the wall wart plugged into the preamp. The jack is right next to the Midi IN jack.

Give it a try, you may be able to use that 7-pin after all.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up