ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New CITES Regulations (Rosewood) effective Jan 2017  (Read 3568 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Since it´s been relatively quiet on the new CITES regulations in here I thought I´d put it up since it will affect us all at some point:
https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/questions-and-answers-appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Wow, thanks SC. So anyone selling an instrument with any rosewood in it (across international boarders (as I understand it)) has to have a certificate.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
On the run again!

vansinn

Seems this doesn't cover all rosewoods, though it does cover ~300 species.
As usual, they do this with no notice at all; same as when Brazilian rosewood got covered.
Not that I mind protection of endangered species, but just how they always time these measures.

And isn't it interesting that Ebony, which is mostly available from Cameroon and Madagascar, isn't endangered..
Seems to me they chose rosewood and some related species like cocobolo - which may indeed be endangered - because those are found in 9 out of ten instruments.
Just called our Ministry of Nature, but off opening hours. Will post back on what they say about selling instruments as a privateer within the EU.

vansinn

Called the DK authority this morning. Things are a bit fuzzy, and potentially bloody annoying.
There's a lengthy thread on the topic at sevenstring.org, with my comments on what I was told here, in post #74

Dammit, 'course I have two instrument to sell, containing rosewood and bubinga..
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up