ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DigiTech GSP2120  (Read 11708 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
DigiTech GSP2120
« on: Time Format »

Somewhat "inspired" by Dante´s and RG´s TubeFex thread and my comments concerning the Digitech GSP2101/2112/2120 units I snagged a 2120 including the Control One on the used market
Analog preamp section including:
- Analog Compressor
- Analog Wah
- Analog 4 Channel Tube pre (2x 12AX7)
- 4x analog OD/Dist
- 2x Analog 10Band Graph EQ

Dual S-DiscII Digital FX (max 8 per preset/patch) incl Harmonizer/intelligent pitch shifter and delays up to 10s

This is the 3rd and final incarnation of Digitechs flagship Preamp/MultiFX unit from the 90s. I bought a 2101 new in 1994 when they were introduced and it was like 3000$ for the preamp plus another 600$ for the Control One back in the day.

I´ll sure as hell gonna have some major fun these next days fiddling around with this  8)

vansinn

Re: DigiTech GSP2120
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Yup, those are very cool devices. The 2020 Artist model features an additional Texas processor for speaker emulation, though I've never found any soundclips illustrating the emulation direct out.

You mentioned the input structure; actually, all these models are dual channel.
Input is Y-split. One leg runs through the tubes, then into the digital effects machine; the other leg runs directly into the effects machine.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Somewhat "inspired" by Dante´s and RG´s TubeFex thread and my comments concerning the Digitech GSP2101/2112/2120 units I snagged a 2120 including the Control One on the used market
Analog preamp section including:
- Analog Compressor
- Analog Wah
- Analog 4 Channel Tube pre (2x 12AX7)
- 4x analog OD/Dist
- 2x Analog 10Band Graph EQ

Dual S-DiscII Digital FX (max 8 per preset/patch) incl Harmonizer/intelligent pitch shifter and delays up to 10s

This is the 3rd and final incarnation of Digitechs flagship Preamp/MultiFX unit from the 90s. I bought a 2101 new in 1994 when they were introduced and it was like 3000$ for the preamp plus another 600$ for the Control One back in the day.

I´ll sure as hell gonna have some major fun these next days fiddling around with this  8)

This may be the TubeFex I wanted! 

I sold my TubeFex and all, made some profit as well.  I'm sad I could not love it.

This Digitech however has a lot more analogue stuff going on, I like it.  For example, the drives are analogue!!  On the tube fex I was never going to be able to use the digital drives and I was hoping to solely rely on the tube preamp.  But jesus I could not handle the feel of that thing.

Now I have a Digitech Ips33 and this has impressed me.  Perhaps the 2120 would also, I like it has intelligent pitch shift built in! 

Did these digitechs always have tubes?  I am surprised that this one even does!  Impressive run down of stuff it has.

TubeFex is still awesome, but not for RabidGerry.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Very cool rig!!  :thumb-up:

BTW: the lil' Behringer pulled off a gig last Saturday night and did great (can't believe I'm saying that about a Behringer)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Nice but now we will need some soundclips  ::)

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Yep, clips requested ;)

And yep, all in the 21xx series had two nice shining bottles of near nothingness in 'em.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yep, clips requested ;)

And yep, all in the 21xx series had two nice shining bottles of near nothingness in 'em.
Are you implying then that these tubes are just a gimmick, i.e just for show and have no bearing on the tone?

I can vouch for the TubeFex and say that it's tubes definitely where significant in the tone.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

vansinn

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Nonono ;)  Those are real tubes in absolute functionality.
Just my way of expressing my love for those shiny bottles with metal shrapnel in near outer space nothingness, haha

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

And the more "near nothingness" ie vacuum, the longer the tube lasts, unfortunately the manufacturers don't pump (pump out the air) the tubes as long these days so the vacuum is not as "hard" so the tubes don't last as long as they used to.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

^ correct, but the less vacuum is mostly a problem above 250-270 volts on the plate.
ADA's, even MDRT'd, runs lower that that; not sure about the Digitech 21xx series, but IIRC less than 250.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

real tubes, not just for show....
I just hammered down some sloppy leads over a random backing track with a preset i set up on the fly, see/hear attached. Took me some time to get re-accustomed to the UI and the controls of the 2120....hell, it's been 23 years since I programmed one of these for the last time.
I used Tube Voicing #4 („Saturated Tube“) with gain @ 50%, a bit of Quad Chorus and 250ms Delay on the 2120 and an IR (Boogie 4x12 w/ 70W Celestion V30, mic'd with SM57 and KSM313) from the AxeFX II.
Signal Path was Guitar (Ibby Swamp Ash RGR with CrunchLab and Air Norton) > 2120 > AxeFX II (IR only) > MacBook Pro.
The amount of gain/distortion/saturation I can get with this baby is more than enough for my tastes...might be lacking for them folks who put a Boss Metal Zone in front of a Triple Rectifier.
The FX loop is (unfortunately) located in front of the Tube/Analog preamp (right after Comp and Wah), but if you slave in a Preamp with enough moxy (MP-1/-2; Triaxis; Engl; Rockmaster;....) you're more than good to go.
The FX section leaves nothing to be desired and blows any other Multi-FX from that era (Quadraverb, Intellifex,....) outta the water hands down....Lexicon and Eventide might be competitors though.   

*edit* Tinkering some more with it with fresh ears this morning I can get some real in-the-ballpark Engl Savage 120 sounds outta this box. Saturated Tube, Gain 50%, front panel eq (B/M/T) flat at noon and just some preamp 10band graphic eq settings (goes -15 / +15):
80Hz 5
140Hz 3
250Hz 2
450Hz -3
800Hz -5
1.5kHz -2
2.5kHz 5
4.5kHz 6
8kHz 5
15kHz -15

This is THE Savage 120 w/6550s tone spot-on.

As of now, that thingy is a keeper  8)

I also attached the schematics for you thechies
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rADAr

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey, SC! What happened to your Axe-FX II/Carvin combo? Axe is out, DigiTech in?  :o
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock
ADA MP-1 1.38 w/MRDT+2.01 upgrade

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

No, AxeFxII is main. I gig out once or twice a month so I don´t lug the heavy poweramp around. AFX direct FOH (Out1) and Out2 to either whatever FRFR is avlbl or in the Return of some backline amp. I even used a Zoom G3X provided by the venue last time. Band sound was ok and we felt comfy.

The DigiTech is just for fun and wasn't even 3-figures $ , so an absolute no-brainer for a blast from the past. 
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Sounded quite good to me. :thumb-up:

vansinn

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Yummy sound, fat and juicy, me likes a lot - and cool playing too, dude :bow:
And thanks a bunch for the schematics :thumb-up: