• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

How do I add an external speaker jack to my combo?

Started by Dante, August 01, 2016, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante

My lil' Marshall combo amp has no external speaker jack. But, I have an external speaker I'd love to use with it....oh, the dilemma!!

Can you guys steer me in the proper direction of how I get the speaker in the combo and the external speaker hooked up & running at the same time without damaging my amp? I'm thinking the result will give me a 4 ohm load, using two 8 ohm speakers. My concern is that they may not be loud enough, but who knows until we try?

Harley Hexxe

Do you have any idea what the nominal impedance is in the amp?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

Yeah, if it's rated for 8 ohms you don't want to show it 4 ohms with a Parallel wiring.    Wired in Series would show it 16 ohms though and live.

Dante

I happen to have a schematic right here, which I cannot read :)

Marshall 5010 Master Lead Combo Schematic

4 ohms?

The cabinet I want to use with it is 8 ohms. Can I do this without a switch? Like a jack that knows when something is (or is not) connected?

MarshallJMP

I just looked it up and it has (originally) a 4 ohm G12M70 celestion in it.So you can't add an extra speaker to it because and 8 and 4 ohm will result in a total impedance of 2.66 ohms which is too low.

But what you could do is add a jack input on the back and add a jack on the original speaker.This way you unplug the original speaker and plug another one in the marshall.

Dante

Dang...you're right, it's a 4 ohm load on the amp....makes no sense to drag the combo amp if you're not using the speaker inside it. Oh well, I still have a use for the single 1x12 as a standalone cab for tighter stages.

Thanks!

rnolan

If you wired the external speaker in series with the internal one you'd get 8 ohms (which I assume the amp would be ok with ? as is SS output). But 8 ohm load will give you less power, and having 2 speakers also gives a 3db boost (giveth, thaketh away...).  You could do a couple of jacks to wire it this way (like the ADA split stacks).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

Actually, the stock speaker in the amp is a 4 ohm.

If I put an 8 ohm speaker in the combo, I'm sure I could wire up two jacks to make a 4 ohm load out of those two like this:

rnolan

Hey Dante, yes that's one way to go, but then if you didn't use the extension speaker the amp will see 8ohms from the internal and give you a bit less power. 
But there is another way I thought up last night (when I should have been sleeping  :facepalm: ) where you can use either jack and use 2 x 4ohm speakers using 2 x switching jacks.
So the switch bit connects to the +ve (tip) when no jack plugged in.  So with 2 of these jack sockets, you can wire it to be series with 2 speakers (both jacks; 4 + 4 =8ohms) or either jack will work on it's own at 4 ohms or 8 ohms.
T= tip, m = middle lug (connects to tip when unplugged), S = sleeve (earth). Note: for this to work you have to make sure the jacks don't earth to each other (i.e. not use a metal plate unless you insulate the jack from it as the plate earths them together.
On each jack wire the m lug to the S lug, join j1 S to j2 T, wire j1 T to amp +ve, and j2 S to amp -ve (series when both jacks used but each jack will also work on it's own)
so:             
amp +ve > j1 T
                  j1 m > S
                         j1 S >>>>j2 T
                                           j2 m > j2 S
                                                      j2 S >>>amp -ve
A. So with a speaker plugged into just j1, j1 T connects to amp +ve, j1 m is disconnected from j1 T, j1 S conects to j2 T wich is connected to j2 m (as no jack) which connects to j2 S connects to amp -ve, all good amp sees 4 ohms

B. One speaker plugged into just j2, j2 T connects to j1 S which connects to j2 m which connects to j1 T (as no jack in j1) connects to amp +ve and j2 S connects to amp -ve, all good amp sees 4 ohms

C. (series) 2 speakers plugged in, j1 T connects to amp +ve, j1 S connects to j2 T (speaker 1 -ve > speaker 2 +ve), j2 m disconnected from j2 T (coz jack plugged in), j2 S connects speaker 2 -ve to amp -ve, all good amps see 8 ohms.
-------------
D. (parallel) as you say just use 2 non switching jacks, wire j1 T to amp +ve and to j2 T, j1 S to amp -ve and j2 S, 2 8 ohm speakers amp sees 4 ohms (this option gives the most power).

Anyway, options.

MJMP, correct me if I'm wrong, but could Dante also wire a 4 resistor in series (inside the jack) for the 4 ohm speaker and make it 8ohms ??
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

Quote from: rnolan on August 04, 2016, 04:51:26 AM

MJMP, correct me if I'm wrong, but could Dante also wire a 4 resistor in series (inside the jack) for the 4 ohm speaker and make it 8ohms ??

Yes he can but you will loose 50% power to that speaker. So in total 25% of the power will be turned into heat by the resistor.

Dante

Richard,

Go to bed - lol!! Thanks for the detailed schematic in text, I do appreciate it. I'm leaning towards leaving it alone. No sense dragging the combo amp and an external cab when I have a 4x12 that will do a better job of filling the space. The 1x12 cab is awesome for smaller shows as a standalone cab with the same rack.

Dante