ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockman XL100  (Read 61350 times)

GuitarBuilder

Re: Rockman XL100
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, it's a very specific tone, good candidate for an impulse. They had a preamp module as well. They were all half rack but went into a single RU (2 units) so the preamp setup was 2 RU IIRC, Preamp, FX, More FX (probably reverb) and stereo eq, and foot switchable, this is before and the SS version of where ADA went with MP1 (well in many ways).
Hey @ GuitarBuilder, chime in here ? you have and use some of these IIRC.

Anyways here's another.

Hey Richard - sorry about the late response.  Yes, I've got a nice Rockman setup - here it is:

Note the other small head on top of my ADA head - that's the Rockman Superhead clone I built from their XP100 portable amp.  It's essentially an X100 on steroids!

ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

If there was a rack version I'd grab one.  I have not seen a rack version though.  I only have come across delay units sustainers, compressors chorus, no actual rack model of the rockman.

I think you'r right, the right kinda overdrive could get you something similar.  I have already done this with my stock mp1.  I think you'd need some funky eqing before the MP1 as well though.

Here's the rack version, Gerry:

Unfortunately they are a collector's item and command around $1,000 today.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Yeah Richard, sure we aint comparing to MP1/2 but it's a special sounding little unit in my opinion.  May be it has taken you to dust it off to appreciate it again?

I am eyeing up something for the kill Richard!  Just waiting on someone getting back to me!  finger crossed, it's not x100 but a rack brother of it.  I'll say no more fingers crossed!! 

If I bag it I'll be very pleased.....my bargain hunting skills have went into overdrive!

Hey RG - There's also something called the Rockmount:

You can put the X100 into it and rack mount it!
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Holy shit guitar builder!  I'll say that again "HOLY SHIT"  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:

Now I'm over that haha

Where do I start!  Well the thing I'm looking at aint that rockman XPR.   I'll pm ya.

What do you need all that for?  What style of music do you play?

You must be a mega fan on Rockman stuff?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Holy shit guitar builder!  I'll say that again "HOLY SHIT"  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:  :poop:

Now I'm over that haha

Where do I start!  Well the thing I'm looking at aint that rockman XPR.   I'll pm ya.

In all honesty - I don't need any of it!  I play a fair amount of Boston stuff, but the Rockman gear is quite useful for other genres as well.  There are quite a few shredders out there (Satriani, Ethan Brosh, etc.) who used these, as well as ZZ Top and Def Leppard.  I just love the variety of tones you can get.

Being all analog (no A/D, no DSP, no modeling) the Rockmodules just sound amazing.  The Stereo Echo is still one of the best in the business after 25 years.

And yes, I am a mega-fan of Rockman and ADA stuff (and Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Mesa, and many others).
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Now I'm over that haha

In all honesty - I don't need any of it!  I play a fair amount of Boston stuff, but the Rockman gear is quite useful for other genres as well.  There are quite a few shredders out there (Satriani, Ethan Brosh, etc.) who used these, as well as ZZ Top and Def Leppard.  I just love the variety of tones you can get.

Being all analog (no A/D, no DSP, no modeling) the Rockmodules just sound amazing.  The Stereo Echo is still one of the best in the business after 25 years.

And yes, I am a mega-fan of Rockman and ADA stuff (and Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Mesa, and many others).

In your opinion is their rockman devices being used here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhIHogEhn4 to me it sounds like it.  There are two of my all time fav guitarists playing here, known for metal music so yeah I defo think the rockman goes beyond Boston for sure.  This why I am interested  :whoohoo!:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, definitely sounds like Rockman to me (sounds "exactly" like my X100 when I recorded those 2 songs I posted). And it was good to get it out and give it a run  ;) . I think I've powered it up maybe twice in 20 years. I did lend it and a guitar to a friends son a long time ago, glad they gave them back LoL.

@GuitarBuilder, Nice  :thumb-up: :thumb-up: If the MP1 hadn't happened, I would have probably gone that way too, although affording them (back then) was a major problem, I was busy paying off the Anderson IIRC.  From the wiki article, the full rack mount version was pretty rare, they didn't make that many of them, I never saw one here in Oz. If you get a chance to do some audio clips of them  :thumb-up: particularly the full rack version (XPR), I'd like to hear the difference (which I imaging is huge) between it and X100. It has soo many more options (the down side to X100, but it was only ever supposed to be a headphone amp).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

i bagged this for under £100, cheapest one going at the moment, I bargained them down from 119euro to 100.  That in GBP is about £91 and that is with the extra 20 euro in for shipping so not bad!!  Lets hope I like it.  I'm worried I can't get enough distortion!!

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/rockman-sustainor-125325.jpg

Yeah Richard sounds like Rockman all over that clip.  The whole album is like that.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Now I'm over that haha

In your opinion is their rockman devices being used here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhIHogEhn4 to me it sounds like it.  There are two of my all time fav guitarists playing here, known for metal music so yeah I defo think the rockman goes beyond Boston for sure.  This why I am interested  :whoohoo!:

I like the tone, but I don't think that is Rockman.  But then again, I could be wrong!  One can EQ the Sustainor to sound very different from Tom's tone.
« Last Edit: Time Format by GuitarBuilder »
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

can it go heavy metal though?  Is there lots of distortion available?

I heard the Sustainor 200 are best or the very latest ones.  My one is a 100A "blueface".  Looks in really good nick.

Anyone ever heard of British Rockman clone "Nomad Axxeman"?  Gary Numan uses one :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the Sustainor looks great. Allot more tweakable than the X100. You need to add similar X100 style stereo chorus/delay/reverb (maybe eq) to it, should bring it to life I recon. It's capable of a much wider range of tones than my X100 (as it is what it is, a relatively simple headphone amp but sounds great  >:D ). And definitely worth it for the money (IMO).
Never heard of the Nomad Axxeman (well maybe I did back then and don't remember  :banana-upsidedown: LoL).

Look forward to some clips (in a new thread ?).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the Sustainor looks great. Allot more tweakable than the X100. You need to add similar X100 style stereo chorus/delay/reverb (maybe eq) to it, should bring it to life I recon. It's capable of a much wider range of tones than my X100 (as it is what it is, a relatively simple headphone amp but sounds great  >:D ). And definitely worth it for the money (IMO).
Never heard of the Nomad Axxeman (well maybe I did back then and don't remember  :banana-upsidedown: LoL).

Look forward to some clips (in a new thread ?).

Yeah man it does indeed!!  I dunno if I can afford a delay chorus module.  Hopefully I can bag another good deal!!

I only paid for this thing yesterday!!!  And BAM!  It arrived today!!  It came from Italy which is not next door to Ireland!  Talk about service!!  I am impressed.  Not only that but I  didn't even pay the full amount, I offered 100euro as opposed to 120 euro cause I'm cheap like that!
It's in very very good condition.  Not a mark on the casing really or the front!!

The NomadAxxeman has a chorus and delay on it also, and thing that allows double tracking ????????????
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOMAD-AXXEMAN-80S-ANALOG-INSTRUMENT-GUITAR-EFFECTS-RACK-PROCESSOR-OD-COMPRESSOR-/221687784908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item339d9f25cc two signals out at the one time, like a clean and distorted sound.  Anyways that Nomad thing is rack as well.  Someone is selling one in Australia.  But I saw one cheaper than that again hahahahhaha  I dunno if I'm going to buy it though.  Not enough info on it for my liking.

Anyways I'll test the sustainor tonight!!! 

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

RG - here is a shredder who definitely is a huge ADA and Rockman fan:

https://youtu.be/E9ZsC_dgS8U

Check out all the gear in his promotional video:

https://youtu.be/t1Zm6Y5iCD4
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

RG - here is a shredder who definitely is a huge ADA and Rockman fan:

https://youtu.be/E9ZsC_dgS8U

Check out all the gear in his promotional video:

https://youtu.be/t1Zm6Y5iCD4

checked them out!!  Great videos!!

Problem!!!  Sustainor turns on, no sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not Happy!!!   >:(

@guitarbuilder  should the clip light remain on constantly?  I tested the bypass, that worked so sound is getting into the unit from the input.  It just aint getting out.  Possibly a dodgey output?  I detected minimal intermittance.  I couldn't get even a bit of a sound when wiggling the jack, you know the cutting in and out stuff.  Just dead.  Zero output.

I should have tested the send on the loop to see if I'm getting any processing at all.  Really pissed off this doesn't work.  The deal of the cenutry was too good to be true!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, major bummer my friend..., no clip light should stay on constantly, only when it clips and here I don't mean the clipping that makes cool/nice guitar distortion, but too much signal so seems something isn't right ( :facepalm: obviously, as it's not working). Did you paypal ? in which case you should be able to get your money back, if so report it strait away as it takes time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up