ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preamp signal too powerful?  (Read 3881 times)

herbyguitar

Preamp signal too powerful?
« on: Time Format »

I have a Alesis 3630 stereo compressor, limiter, gate, that I used to gate pre and post MP1 and effects. The right side was pre and the left side was used right before the power amp. Everything in the rack was in series. MP1 - Harmony Machine - Midiverb - Gate (left side) - Poweramp. Is it possible that the signal going into the left side of the Alesis was too strong and could have damaged it? I gave the Alesis to a friend to use in his DJ system and one day about a month later the left side started acting up.
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Pream signal too powerful?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Herby, possible  :dunno: but not likely, more likely the DJ thing may have damaged it, but who knows, could be neither ?
So if I understand correctly how you were running it, the right channel you used in front of the MP1 so you'd set that at -10 (as signal is instrument level at that point) and the left channel after the midiverb so you'd set that to +4 (as is now line level).  If you were driving it too hard (left channel) you should have seen it on the input meter (or heard clipping).
In the DJ rig you'd set both channels to +4 and probably select stereo link (so the channels operate as a pair).  DJ rigs are often pushed very hard (and often by people who don't really understand what they are doing (audio/PA wise)) to get the most volume from them (otherwise, why use a compressor in a DJ rig  :dunno: , although using it as a peak limiter to protect the amp and speakers does make sense).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Pream signal too powerful?
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

So you got a "dirty six-dirty"  :lol: I used to have one too. I found that it added alot of noise into my signal chain. They are better suited for dj's and vocals than guitar. The hard gate and a compressor up front from the 1101 will do the same job but without the added noise. Best thing I did was to sell mine.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

herbyguitar

Re: Preamp signal too powerful?
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I would sell it... but it's broken  :( 
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »

herbyguitar

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What's a decent, inexpensive option for a stereo noise gate?

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

What's a decent, inexpensive option for a stereo noise gate?

Rocktron hush rack mount on the inexpensive side.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I have had a Hush IICX lying about for ages, it's a stereo gate.  I only got round to using it about two weeks ago.  It's f**king great.  Scott "NOT" Ian out of Anthrax still uses one as far as I know.  I only use one side of it btw.  I am very, very impressed.  The gate closure is super natural to me.  And then the extra band width filter also is very useful.

Think it came out in 1990 but that particular model but it really is good from my experience.  I'm gonna do a review and post it on youtube as there aren't any good ones and it's too good a unit to ignore.  No idea what the new units are like.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010
Pages: [1]   Go Up