ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD! Steinberger Alert!!  (Read 11512 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
NGD! Steinberger Alert!!
« on: Time Format »

How many of you wanted a Steinberger back in the day? I did. Then, my bass player got one, then Eddie (EVH)....man, I wanted one bad.

Today's the day, I finally got a Steinie, and it's pretty cool. I played it a lot today, the trem is badass, stays in tune very well. The feel is very similar to my Vee, with a couple fins cut off. I'm not especially fond of the 'designed by EMG' pickups. It's an HSH config, and I can already see myself getting a SD JB for the bridge and an HFS Classic II Alnico 2 for the neck....maybe. I am not sure how this thing is wired (I'm about to find out), but the single coil sounds are just as loud as the HB sounds.... :???: or, maybe they're just louder than splitting the coils of my typical HB pickups, either way, they're more balanced in volume. The tone is pretty mediocre, cleans are not good IMHO, very sterile and lifeless. The gains sound passable, but it could be the ADA doing the talking

Haven't decided on a name yet, but here's a pic

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: NGD! Steinberger Alert!!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Very nice Dante! :thumb-up:
I've got to admit I always wanted a Stein especially once EVH started using one.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Go Dante  :thumb-up: , I've never wanted one, but I do understand, and I'm glad you got one finally  :whoohoo!: .
Interesting you name you guitars LoL.. I've only ever named one, my JPLP I called "precious" one night when it was glowing at me and that stuck.  My ex named my Anderson "Angry (Anderson)", partly coz it's bright red and sort of after Angry Anderson from Rose Tattoo (now there's a kick arse Australian band...)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Nice, a paddle!
I can totally understand what you mean by the "designed by EMG" pups not being your cup of tea.
Careful though with putting an SD JB in there....there´s not that much wood (or composite) to provide a rounded tone so the JB might be too spiky in the highs with not enough low mids/lows.
If it´s gotta be an SD I´d go with either the 59/Custom Hybrid TB-16 or an SD Jason Becker Perpetual Burn.
DiMarzio Tone Zone DP155 (I have one lying around...had it since the 90s so it´s also really tone aged by now...lemme know),  DiMarzio Super 3 DP152 or DiMarzio Breed DP166 (....I have one of those up for grabs as well in 3 weeks *lol*) might also be good choices worth a try
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Angry Anderson, that's great! I call my red Jackson Angry Redhead, my blue ESP is baby blue, Silver Flake Jackson is Crackle Jack and red Ibanez is red rebel.
Yeah I name mine as well. :lol:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

How many of you wanted a Steinberger back in the day?

All those times I'd let the venue's Load-In door slam shut behind me only to find I was now locked out.  :facepalm:
I certainly could've used one to wedge into the door frame to keep the door from closing and latching while I was carrying gear...   :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

How many of you wanted a Steinberger back in the day?

All those times I'd let the venue's Load-In door slam shut behind me only to find I was now locked out.  :facepalm:
I certainly could've used one to wedge into the door frame to keep the door from closing and latching while I was carrying gear...   :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Shaddup you"  in 3......2.....1......   :D

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

shaddup

YOU

Ima put a big sticker on the front of it to make it look like EVH's  :headbanger:

SC: I was expecting you to tell me to get a crunchlab and a liquifire in there  :wave:  I kinda suspected my usual PUs wouldn't work in this tiny axe. Any suggestions are welcome. I wanna get a clean round neck PU - almost hollow body sounding. My bridge PU tone is standard ol' rock (think about the opening guitar riff of Limelight or Highway to Hell, same raw tone) - I can get my preamps to do all the other stuff (mod rock, metal), as long as I have a good hot pickup that plays chords clearly in crunch mode.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

SC: I was expecting you to tell me to get a crunchlab and a liquifire in there  :wave:  I kinda suspected my usual PUs wouldn't work in this tiny axe. Any suggestions are welcome. I wanna get a clean round neck PU - almost hollow body sounding. My bridge PU tone is standard ol' rock (think about the opening guitar riff of Limelight or Highway to Hell, same raw tone) - I can get my preamps to do all the other stuff (mod rock, metal), as long as I have a good hot pickup that plays chords clearly in crunch mode.

PM'ed   :wave:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

some steinbergs put to good use

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I kinda suspected my usual PUs wouldn't work in this tiny axe. Any suggestions are welcome. I wanna get a clean round neck PU - almost hollow body sounding. My bridge PU tone is standard ol' rock (think about the opening guitar riff of Limelight or Highway to Hell, same raw tone) - I can get my preamps to do all the other stuff (mod rock, metal), as long as I have a good hot pickup that plays chords clearly in crunch mode.
Then IMHO the Gibson 57's (such great sounding PUs) or even the 59PAF thingy (that they put in my JPLP mmm) would suit you well  :thumb-up: .  I've got a SD JB bridge and Alnico neck in the cupboard gathering dust, they had a very brief outing in my SG, not that they were bad, just didn't inspire me  :dunno: .  Now I have 57s in the SG (crap they were expensive ($300 AUD each ouch) but worth every cent and they are cheaper now IIRC..). IMHO they will deliver the (raw) tone you describe.
I also very much like the 59 PAF in the JPLP (neck), very creamy PU but still has bight.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Samuraipanda

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I always wanted a Steinberger but the full body version that Vito played on Big Game.

https://youtu.be/n0phDcqA7v4 

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I always wanted a Steinberger but the full body version that Vito played on Big Game.

https://youtu.be/n0phDcqA7v4

I remember those - LOVED them.

Gerry - I think the Venom singer has a killer voice. How he plays those bass riffs while singing, is beyond my scope of musicianship. I simplify my guitar part or my singing part, or I screw it all up - lol.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I have stylized this thing like Eddie's, just waiting for the pickups to arrive so I can put her back together

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Watch some Van Halen: Live without a net! Pups are just a few klicks out
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up