• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Phantom Power Mod for MB-1/MP-1?

Started by BoWeevil2017, February 12, 2017, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoWeevil2017

Hello Midi Experts!
I am currently using a modified FCB1010 with a phantom power mod over 5-pin midi.
I know that the MB-1/MP-1 have a 7-pin midi connector mated to a 9v DC in jack.
My question is around the possibility of just "bridging" pins 6 and 7, which are carrying the power in the MB-1 scenario, to pins 1 and 3, which normally carry the power in the 5-pin scenario?
It seems fairly straightforward to me, unless I am missing something in regards to how pins 1 and 3 are being used in the MB-1 scenario?
Because in the 5-pin scenario, they are not used at all, and therefore can be used to apply the DC power.
Looking forward to any and all replies,

MarshallJMP

Normally these are not used so it should work but just in case take a look at it before you do this.

MikeB

I have been considering doing this for a while now and have been internally debating which way to go.
1.  Do the 5 pin phantom power mod and use an insert cable: http://www.dmvelectronics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4&idcategory=
2. Put in a  seven pin midi socket when I  do the phantom power mod and take the power off the appropriate pin.
Haven't really made a decision yet, but am leaning towards option 2.

I don't feel tardy!

Kim

Some helpful Phantom Power info located in the manual of the Rolls MidiBuddy:

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_MP128.pdf

BoWeevil2017

The bridge worked as expected.
I can now pass 9v power over pins 4 and 5 to my FCB1010, without any cable or connector mods.

rnolan

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

DannyjoeCarter

Wow great thread! I remember this mod being done back in the late 80's and being very useful because of what a pain it was always having to have a separate power supply/wall wart to run power to the foot controller!

Thanks for sharing this!! :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter