ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro cab2 with power amp  (Read 12177 times)

Metropolis

Micro cab2 with power amp
« on: Time Format »

Just got a Microcab 2...love what it does for the tone of my MP1.   My question is how and why would I use it with my MosValve 962 for direct recording into a stand alone multitrack recorder.   Thanks for any info
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Micro cab2 with power amp
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

So you wouldn't use the Mosvalve for direct recording, not required or needed. Some why nots read on...
I'm not a microcab expert so others please correct me, "generally" cab sims are used between the preamp and the direct in, no poweramp involved. Particularly with ADA MP1/2 which are designed to make the entire tone and then just have it amplified (in stereo) by a transparent clean power amp (no added colour/tone, just volume).
So cab sims (eg microcab) are designed to emulate the sound of micing the guitar speakers so provide for different mics/positions/angles and different guitar speaker/cabs and turning it into a line level signal suitable to plug in direct.
Some cab sims are capable of taking the poweramp output (should you want to add particular power amp colour as well) eg ADA GCS3 has -30db input for this but it doesn't provide the speaker load the amp wants/needs so typically you'd plug the cab in as well (to provide the load) but take your direct feed from the GCS3 out.
Upside of microcab IIRC is it's stereo  :whoohoo!: and very well appointed for different cab/mic combinations. There's other threads here about it and how you can mod it into various forms of persuasion.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

If you wanna wire the whole rig for max use in terms of flexibility (live/gigging/recording) and your desired JP ballpark tones I´d suggest:
MP-1 (with graph/param EQ in Loop...lets you use the Loop for the EQ only, e.g. no additional eq on clean patches needed) > Intellifex (Hush is 1st in line in the Intellifex, so it quiets all noise down before the FX) > µCabII > MosValve > Speaker

All wired nicely in a Rack with an additional Power Conditioner and maybe a Rack-Tuner.
Keep your patch/signal cables as high quality and as short as possible.
Also mind: Let the power supply cables run on one side of the rack, all signal cables on the opposite.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

And with what SC suggests you take direct > record inputs from microcab (and for direct only (recording) don't need mosvalve or cab (for that) but is patched already.. so easy to do either (which I think is what SC's getting at ?)).  :whoohoo!: making life easier...

Metropolis

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thats exactly how I have it connected and it sounds absolutely fantastic.   I seem to have resolved my squealing issue.   I just dailed in several nice patches on both the MP1 and the Intellifex.   The Hush is working well.  I just have to figure out how to set my levels on both units.   I suppose I should crank the MP1 output knob until the Intellifex red light barely lights and then crank the Intellifex output until the Microcab clip indicator barely lights.  Then crank the Microcab output to a reasonable level going into the MosValve.   Does the Master gain on the MP1 act as a patch volume or does it add distortion as well.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Good approach with the lvl settings...
The MP1 Master is a patch master vol....
How did the settings I posted in the other thread work out?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

So the MP1 "patch" master vol controls the MP1 out volume per patch, (but overall overridden with the main output vol knob), which controls the overall level that goes to the next device (so combo of both).

Metropolis

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Thank you all for your  replies,  they have already shed much light on this Magical Box called MP1.   I believe my unit is not damaged.  I just needed to learn its limits.  As for the Clean Petrucci patch settings,  yes I did dail that up and I am very impressed.  I need to fiddle with the effects a bit more,  you know the Intellifex parameters can run a bit deep.  What would be a good 5 band eq to get.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Happy to help  :thumb-up: and glad it's all coming together for you. There's a few posts re eq (in the MP1 area IIRC ?), one pretty good one and a good article I posted on eqs which is worth a read to understand them better. (try a search for eq).
Standard graphic eqs have there centre frequencies set to the ISO standard. Guitar eqs tend to have the centre freq optimised for guitar.
e.g. the MP2s 9 band graphic (100hz/ 170hz/ 280hz/ 470hz/ 800hz/ 1.3khz/ 2.2khz/ 3.8khz/ 6.3khz). Personally I don't use additional eq as MP2 has it built in, but many others here do and have good suggestions and experience. There's lots to choose from, main thing is it needs to "sound" good, eqs vary quite allot, some sound good, some sound ok and some sound terrible. IIRC the MXR 6 band worked well for some (RanallRG likes his allot).
I know what you mean with deep parameters, I went through my basic QV program yesterday to post, I haven't fiddled with it in years and I'd forgotten how many variables and routing options it has.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Here's the eq article

El Chiguete

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

... As for the Clean Petrucci patch settings,  yes I did dail that up and I am very impressed...

What was that patch settings you tried?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Metropolis

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hi ElChiguete...there are a couple patches spelled out in a thread of mine   "OD1/OD2" in the Original MP1 forum.   I believe Systematic Choas offered them to me as foundation from which to build.  I think they are good patches as is,  but tweek them as needed as your other gear requires.
ADA MP1
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Pages: [1]   Go Up