ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Hendrix/ Analog Tape info  (Read 9440 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Re: Hendrix/ Analog Tape info
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I agree this is developing into a really good off shoot and the topic should be split, but exactly where to split it  :dunno:
@ Kim your the master spliter/mover  :thumb-up: . We should plop the offshoot in the recording area?

Adding though to the newer discussion, I'm a fan of using tape for dithering.  If you want to have your song in a variety of formats, consider mixing the highest quality you have to tape and then re-sampling at the various sample rates you want (CD, MP3, Flac etc). The tape warms the sound and does the dithering for you  :thumb-up:

Edit, well I split where I thought it worked the best  :crazy: :wave:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I too mostly, but in this case only partly, agree on this going off the tangent. And the Metal Gods will know I can be a habitué..
In this particular topic, getting this specific sound does involve several dislocate technologies (specific mics, tape..), so very little of what's been posted is off-topic.

Kim is correct in a number of other cases. Thus, I think what should be split would be this very discussion on when or not to go seemingly off-topic.  More specifically, methinks from post #13 and onwards.

As Bob Heil said it in his book "Concert Sound":
"One thing you can say about ignorance - it causes a hell of a lot of arguments!" :lol:

EDIT: Oh, it did get split already!  Now I can't work out which is where - and I feel the tape part is part of the original topics..
I at least suggest:
1. Rename this part to Tape discussion, or something (which can be done from the same menu as when doing the split (I always did in the past)).
2. Split the discussion about spitting discussions into a separate discussion, so we don't end up discussing tapes and splitting discussions in the same discussion.
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Mmm, or I could just un-split it, or we can ramble on like nothing has really happened (which is one sense (at least) is true).. Could have changed the title I suppose, but I wasn't totally convinced about splitting it in the first place, though very much take Kims point(s).. so wanted it to stay close (ish).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Just an advice: If/when merging (un-split) two threads, do take care to understand which one will be the top half and which will be the lower.
If it's the first attempt, my advice is to create two dummy threads with jadajada text, and try merging them - you might be surprised ;)
Back in the days, I did a few merges that ended up totally confusing, hehehe..

Or make me co-admin again, and I'll do it ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up