ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound  (Read 19002 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Triggered by RGs post (Studio Quad V2) where I suggested the GSP1101, and just for shits and giggles ( and since I had one of these in 2009) I hunted down a used GSP1101 incl a 1U SKB Rackbag on Yahoo Auctions for 85$.
This was Digitechs flagship guitar processor back then and some of Digitechs engineers kept an almost constant beta FW program running on MustBeBeta.com.
The lastest FW from there is C63 and it features quite some more amp and FX models than the original, vast improvements in all algorithms (especially Whammy and Harmonizer) as well as the capability to upload up to 10 user IRs. The factory IRs where "ok" when it was new but you can now upload the lates Ownhammer, Redwirez, ValhallIR, ML-Sound,.... IRs and take this "old" bad boy to another level.
Dubbed "the poor man's-" or "the working man's AxeFX" is neither an over nor an understatement. The GSP1101 has a relatively open FX chain, as you can assign the blocks pre or post (Pre)amp. It has 2 (L/R) 1/4" Outs as well as 2 XLR Outs that are independently congifurable, meaning you can e.g. select the 1/4" outs for amp input/loop return without IR and the XLR outs for direct FOH with IR.
The open structure also allows (and was specifically designed for) integration of an external preamp in various hook-up configurations.
FX wise there's all in there you could want. Gate, Compressor, OD/DS, all kinds of Modulation, Delays, Reverb (courtesy of Lexicon since Digitech and Lexicon are part of Harman).
Compared to the Axe it definitely lacks the "granularity" in terms of feature/parameter depth and thus the 500% detail in the finished sound product. But at the end of the day where talking tools to make music and have fun and not the 13th row of overtones.

My approach has progressed to dialing in a sound with my ears rather than with my eyes. So with gear my ultimate question is always "can I make this thing sound to feel comfy and be happy with what comes out". Amp-tone wise my comfort zone is in the Mesa Boogie Mark type, with the MkIV being my personal favorite amp of all time. with the tools the GSP1101 provides (with C63) I can get there hands down. Sparkling Clean, crushing Crunch and singing creamy Leads.
My preferred IRs (atm) are ValhallIR's take on a 1992 Mesa Boogie Straight 4x12 loaded with 70w Celestion V30s (https://valhallir.at/en/shop/mb-1992-v30/)

Same as for RG, footprint and transportability is a big factor and issue for me. I live in Tokyo and gig out on a weekly basis. There is no chance in this city to roll up with your van and lug the 10U fridge rack around. Mostly because of limited parking spaces near the venues. There's some parking spots throughout the city but I'm definitely not paying 20$ per hour (which is the going rate).
99% of the musicians I gig with use public transportation (Tokyo Metro) with is inexpensive, more than reliable and gets you to every place in the city with an average delay of 15s.

The GSP1101 comes in very handy for this application, especially in the 1U SKB RackBag. The Rackbag is sturdy and offers enough place to store als cabling in the back as well as sufficient space to bring a small Midi board and a Wah (Digitech Control 7 and a Jim Dunlop spring-loaded CryBaby 95Q in my case).
So I'm down do a small lightweight rackbag (the 1101 itself weighs next to nothing) and a guitar gigbag for a maximum of independence in transport with a minimum of footprint/weight.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

AWESOME. Nice find tooo, for less than a hundred bucks  :thumb-up:

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t

Good score SC! Under $100 what a deal.
I have an 1101 myself, some of the amp sims sound really good going FOH, others sound a bit artifical. The effects sound stellar.
I too am running the mustbebeta c63 update. I tried running a few different preamps into its loop, but wasn't blown away with the results. Currently trying to run it as a stand alone preamp with my power amp and split stacks but not finding that really good tone/patch yet. If you come up with any I would love to give em a try. :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

.... If you come up with any I would love to give em a try. :headbanger:

I'll extract my main Crunch and Lead patches tonight and shoot you a p.m. incl. the IR.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t

Thanks S.C. you da man!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

I'm intrigued by these Digitech GSP1101.  However no good deals going within my price range.

JUst curious, but what is this unit going dirt cheap?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digitech-Twin-Tube-GFX1-signal-processor/142726584107?hash=item213b2ad72b:g:8HgAAOSwk75anZaC
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

I had one of those, it sounds good. It's a pain to set up patches, as you have to go through ALL the parameters to save it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I think the GFX1 was digitechs go at making something like the MP1 but adding in effects
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

Had one, sounded and felt too sterile to my taste.
Effects were good, compressor super, but especially distortions and amp models were too sterile and harsh.
I never loaded it with custom IR's, though, which was probably a big mistake.
However, the electric violin player who bought it immediately got great sounds out of it ;)

herbyguitar

I have an 1101. Bought it new about 6 years ago. Took me quite a while to figure out how to get it to produce killer tones. Love it but you do have to work it and sometimes think outside the box. A good cranked tube power amp is the secret to great sound. Cab sims don't cut it.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
Re: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

....Cab sims don't cut it.

I have to disagree on that. With FW C63 and the option to upload user cab IRs you can make that thingy shine and sing....or scream \m/

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

OK...been a long day at work but I just sat down and did a direct recording over a drum loop (attached)....
GSP1101 with my preset/IR (my take on a Boogie MkIV Ch3) straight into a Steinberg UR22 MkII into Reaper on a MacBook Pro.
No post processing.
Rhythm guitars were mono triple tracked (100L, 100R, Center), Swamp Ash Ibanez RGR620 with Dimarzio Crunchlab.
Leads is one Stereo Take (65L / 65R), Mahogany Ibanez RGR7620 7 String with DiMArzio Crunchlab 7.

Long day, rush-hour drive home....unprecise sloppy playing. Just to show what this thingy *can do*

*edit*...attachment doesn't upload...hereĀ“s the file on dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/blusdgehjro4892/1101%20Direct%20Recording.mp3?dl=0

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, nice playing BTW  :thumb-up: , sounded great, lots of phase cancellations and subsequent vol changes (coz of triple track ?) But very nice tones  :thumb-up: .

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

15mins rush job, had a chilled bottle of Montes Alpha waiting ;)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, well good job  :thumb-up: , would also be interesting to hear it through a decent power amp/cab, I also liked the sound of your crunchlabs, well most of it's in your fingers  :headbanger: but they do sound quite nice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up