ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mismatching Tubes for Bigger Difference Between OD1 and OD 2 ?  (Read 4570 times)

robertkoa

Mismatching  Tubes for  bigger sound differences between OD 1  and OD 2  as  in  having a longplate in

V1  and a shortplate in V2 -  does this create more difference in Tones ?

Mine came with  2  JJ83s  and has nice clear gain no fuzz or fizz, clean on Clean Tube up to  5.0  then

Blues to light Crunch,  Tube Dist Channel  almost clean to 80s high gain.

But I don't  hear  much difference between  5  and  8    versus  8  and 5 , subtle.

So  will having very different Tube Types  create   more differences ?
« Last Edit: Time Format by robertkoa »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey robertkoa, there are a few here who have experimented with different tubes in V1/V2,(V3, 3TM). And yes, from what has been said/posted, it can help you chase "your" sound.
You know I think that ADA MP1/2 preamps are the best ever to let you make "your" sound.
Different tubes in V1/2 etc will have an effect!, play with it and tell what you think/hear.
BTW try some Mullards  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Darth Infernus

@ RobertKoa:

Are you the same RobertKoa who used to call the Carvin Hollywood store and spoke to Moshe about the differences in tone woods and such?

GuitarBuilder

It'll be subtle at best.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I tend to agree (but I haven't tried it Dante?? you have, do tell...he has posted elsewhere about this BTW).  Will probably depend a bit on the gain differences between the tubes mostly ?? (I think that was Dante's angle), but then the difference between Mullards and JJs is very in your face (my direct experience) and gains about the same.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RobbHell

Yes different colors and tones can be produced with mismatched tubes. Me personally I hate any high gain tube in V3 of the 3TM. It's 6th gain srage is a cathode follower and doeant sound good with a JJ. I've that mullard,sovtek and even EH sound great in V2,V3. Its all what you like and what works for your style.

RobbHell

For awhile here there was a big deal about JJ High Gains with Balanced Triodes. Never saw the nned for a balanced triode unless its used in a Phase Inverter location. Any medium to high gain tube usually sounds good. Just some  are less microphonic in high gain applications.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

I picked up a stock MP-1 a few years back for a disgustingly cheap deal & started experimenting with tubes. I cannot remember exactly which tube was in which position, but I did opt for a lower gain tube in one of them. It allowed me much more 'fine tuning' control of the gain and it still got plenty of dirt to spare.

Here's the link to the post

I found this from my old 'Tube Cocktail' post on the old Depot (in 2009):

I have read elsewhere on the board about putting the higher gain tube into V1 and a lower gain tube into V2, so I tried that. I put a JJ 12AX7 (high gain) into V1 and began trying all sorts of other tubes in V2.

Sylvania 12AX7 (low noise): Low noise my a$$! It was a mess, too noisy, too much gain (not in a good way)
JJ 12AU7: Excellent for low-gain rhythms, but a bit too clean. I couldn't get enough "hair" on the tone to use for solos.
GE 12AY7: PERFECT! I can get the low growl of my ol' JCM800 with ease. It's kinda like a MOD-1 with a bit more gain or "hair" on the edges. I love it. Since this tube is NOS (c. 1959) I'm ordering a newer JJ 12AY7 to put in there.

Gear used during testing: MP-1 directly into the input jack of my Musicman combo (112RD, 50 watt, SolidState preamp section, Tube Power section - 2 6L6s) running as clean as possible, no bright switch, EQ was flat.

and a few days later...

Well guys, I received the newer 12AY7 from TubeDepot.com and put it into my MP-1. I am happy to say it has the same result as the 50-year-old NOS GE tube I had in it.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Pages: [1]   Go Up