ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: line level to MP-1 input  (Read 9341 times)

El Chiguete

line level to MP-1 input
« on: Time Format »

How would you convert a line level sigal to an instrument level so not to overload the input of the MP-1?

I can set my Lexicon MPX G-2 to have effects before or after my MP-1 (4 cable method) but the signal that is going from the MPX G-12 to the MP-1 is at line level and because of that I'm getting unwanted noise.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: line level to MP-1 input
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Normally line level = less noise (particularly if it's balanced and 600 ohms but not around instrament level inputs).. no idea what you guys call the " 4 cable method" is that when you go MPx A/B > effect A/B > poweramp A/B ??? i.e. chain (i stereo) preamp/effect/poweramp/cab(s) ????????????????????????????????
To convert a line level signal to inst level you need to change 2 things, the level (can do this easily with a couple of resistors (cant recall the values you need but MJMP will no doubt be able to help)), impedance (this is not so important MJMP understands this much better than me... but in my experience, just reducing (padding) the signal will work fine).  However, If you have an early MP1, it has a line level input on the back, problem solved....

Are you using your MPX in the Mp1 loop ??  There are 2 things IMHO that produce unwanted noise, bad (not sorted (the most common) gain structure), and bad power (there is a 3rd, shit loads of gain, more gain, more noise).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

No I have the "newer" MP-1 and it' my understanding that both the inputs are instrument level?

As for the 4 cable thing... this is my signal path is:

- guitar to input of MPX-G2
- MPX-G2 insert send to input of preamp
- outs of preamp to returns of MPX-G2
- outs of MPX-G2 to poweramp

Doing this I'm getting a hiss in the signal, but this hiss isn't present if I'm using the preamp alone or if I'm plugging the guitar to the preamp and from the preamp to the MPX-G2 and NOT using the Insert Send (not taking advantage of pre and post effects). So this is why I think the problem is with the Insert Send beeing line level.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Can the rear input of the MP-1 be modded to accept Line Level signals?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Can the rear input of the MP-1 be modded to accept Line Level signals?
Probably, the early Mp1s had the back panel inputs as line level, but MJMP will know better than me here...
Personally, I'd put the MPX-G2 in the Mp1 loop (not stereo I know, If you want to keep stereo effects (and I would)) then with a MP1 you could use the ART splitter (see other posts search for ART, I've babbled on at great length about this) BTW IMHO Lexicon make great reverb gadgets!!!!. Putting a MP1 in another devices effects loop (and yes it works) is INMO a really bad idea (MP1 great device, other device not so good, can't be as good... ever....) unless you are using a MP2 loop just to get the MP2 cab sims on the MP1 output, (I tested this last week, works very well, sounds great).
I think (from my experience on the board so far) what people seem to have trouble working out, is that the ADA preamps are (f#ing) awesome (well, maybe they don't ;-) ), and the majority of other stuff isn't that good (lots of crap), obviously some slightly better than the other.  There's a paradigm shift here also, tone cloners (I'm not convinced!!!) and real tube preamps... the AxeFX is the only new preamp that comes anywhere near to something I'd accept, (that I know of, and it doesn't cut it live).
Long story short; use the lexicon as an effect (that's it's job and it's very good at it (just use delay, reverb, etc)), use you MP1 as your guitar preamp, (it's good/great at that).  I love lexicon gear, but they will never make (a big statement I know) a tube guitar preamp to better the ADA MP1/2...

El Chiguete

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Long story short; use the lexicon as an effect (that's it's job and it's very good at it (just use delay, reverb, etc)), use you MP1 as your guitar preamp, (it's good/great at that)...

Well thats exactly what I'm using it for (allthough yesterday I tried the preamp of the Lexicon and I was happily suprised! For sure I'm not the only one that has had this problem when connecting anything a line level signal in front of an MP-1 or other preamp.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

You can use an Ebtech or similar to do the line level to instm level conversion stuff, or chuck a couple of the right resistors in a lead to bring line level down to instmt level. Both idears work.  But BTW, the only thing I'd ever...plug into a MP1 input is a guitar.....(not absolutely entirely true as I have some other ideas for the MP1 like using it as a mic preamp)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

There is a way to mod the rear in of a V2 mp-1 to accept line level signals.I'm at work right now,so email me tomorrow and i'll try to explain on how to do it.

El Chiguete

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Ok so I contacted Lexicon and there reply was:

"You need some type of re-amp box.  Any DI box will work if you use it backwards."

So I asked a friend for his DI and I had very positive but unexpected results...

1) turning the -15db Pad switch on lowered the level to what I believe is instrument level and it helped because the OD1 clip light stoped turning on (just noticed it did today) but the wierd noise was still in the background

2) so I started pressing the other switches and nothing happend untill I pressed the GROUND switch and.... THE NOISE WENT AWAY!!! So I had a ground loop going on all this time??? This is what I don't understand: aren't you supposed to get rid of a ground loop problem if you get a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter? well I have those and first I used it in the power cord of the MP-1 but still had the same noise, then I plugged the power cord of the multieffects but nothing changed and last I used adaptors on both of them at the same time and STILL HAD THE NOISE!

So can someone explain what happend here?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Marshall!

Given that the Ebtech is a bit of a tone killer (I have a Hum Eliminator that works great for my shitty house electricity, but eats just a hair of tone), I have a question for you about line level vs. instrument level and my Carl Martin Chorus XII...

This thread is talking about adding a few resistors to take something from instrument level to line level... I would LOVE to do that with my Carl Martin... is that something you could do?
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

This thread is talking about adding a few resistors to take something from instrument level to line level... I would LOVE to do that with my Carl Martin... is that something you could do?
.  When I added resitors to one end of the lead to do this we added 2 resistors,  I just can't remember (twas a long time ago) the resitor values required MJMP?Sparker ?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Marshall!

Given that the Ebtech is a bit of a tone killer (I have a Hum Eliminator that works great for my shitty house electricity, but eats just a hair of tone), I have a question for you about line level vs. instrument level and my Carl Martin Chorus XII...

You mean from line to instrument?

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

You mean from line to instrument?

Nope... instrument (pedal) to line.  I'm running the Carl Martin Chorus XII Pedal AFTER the ISP Theta Preamp so I can get the nice stereo split... I'd like to possibly run it in the effects loop of my mixer, but when I do, it sounds like ass... lots of phase issues and a bit of break up.  I'd like the pedal to function as a rack unit.

Is that even possible?
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

El Chiguete

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Given that the Ebtech is a bit of a tone killer (I have a Hum Eliminator that works great for my shitty house electricity, but eats just a hair of tone)...

Does this happend with the Line Level Shifter too?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1]   Go Up