ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3TM or Mod4 II. ?  (Read 5308 times)

Axemane

3TM or Mod4 II. ?
« on: Time Format »

I want to get another mp-1 either stock and do the mods or buy one already modded. I plan on keeping the one I have now stock , maybe a noise and battery mod only.

I don't know which of these I would want.

My preferences are along these lines-

Marshall voiced/ hot rodded Marshall

More gain than stock? not necessarily, just clearer tighter more usable gain

Not into the recto style (at least not with the real tube heads)

Where can I find more detaled info on each of the mods . MJMP's site doesn't go into much detail or I didn't see it .

Thanks

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: 3TM or Mod4 II. ?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Soundwise both mods are in the same ballpark.Actually the mod4 is the little brother of the 3TM.Main differences are that the 3TM has a bit more gain and it has a more clearer defined sound.Noise wise the 3TM is the most quiet of all the mods.Also it has a tonestack which can be used the refine your own personal sound.But you will loose the clean tube channel,it's almost impossible to get it perfectly clean,on the other hand you get in return a brown channel for the more Van Halen sounds.So for cleans you need to use the SS channel.
The mod4 can get clean on the clean tube but it isn't very good sounding,nor does it have the brown sound of the 3TM.

Hope this answers your question.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, is this (But you will loose the clean tube channel,it's almost impossible to get it perfectly clean) why you use your MP2(s) for clean sounds ?

Hey Axemane, the other (seems to me) hi priority mod is an MDRT transformer replacement (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm), this (I'd proffer) is very much worth doing to your stock MP1 and any future MP1s (3TMs or otherwise), I just wish there was a MDRT for my MP2...

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Axemane

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks mjmp that helped tremendously ! I think I would prefer the 3TM .

rnolan- transformer upgrade is in the 3TM is it not?

What are the benefits of this transformer ? cleaner? tighter?

Thanks guys

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Axemane, not sure if the 3TM upgrade includes the MDRT mod (MJMP ?), makes good sense if it is. (to borrow from MJMP's site: The MDRT is a 24VA transformer which can deliver 12.6V to the heaters.The high voltage has gone up to 240Vdc / 8mA. The original is only a 12VA transformer,only deliver between 8 and 9 V to the heaters and the high voltage is 190Vdc / 4mA. So the MDRT will enhance the sound,better low end,less noise and the sound will sound less compressed.). Now, don't know about you, but if I still had an MP1 (3TM or stock), I'd be putting one in, and, as I keep moaning (and maybe the Machinator is listening ? hope....) there will be an MDRT for the MP2.

Axemane

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

cool. thanks for the info. I will probably get one for my stock mp-1 soon.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

From what MJMP says on his site the MDRT is the go (and in MJMP we trust  :thumb-up: , not to mention it will now work anywhere in the world), besides, it makes sense  ;)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The MDRT is only included in the 3TM ultra+ mod,not the 3TM itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up