ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDRT heat  (Read 230 times)

Rusty

• View Profile
MDRT heat
« on: Time Format »

Hi folks,  Just want to ask a question about heat from the MDRT transformer I have in my 3TM,

The MDRT feels pretty hot after playing for about 30 minutes or so, I took the lid off to touch it and yea it gets very hot, especially the metal laminate core, its almost un-touchable. Is that normal to produce so much heat with an MDRT as I'm a bit concerned about it?

Everything else is normal and the sound doesn't change.

Thanks.
"Let us never forget our beloved founder -
RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much"

rnolan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MDRT heat
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have MDRTs in my MB1s, I'll test next time I fire one up and also ask MikeB as he has one in his MP1.  MJMP will be able to give you are more unequivocal answer but I expect it's normal and nothing to be concerned about.  MP2s get very hot on top and it's never been a problem in all the years I've gigged with mine (as do B200s  >:D ).  I did have some minor issues with fade when I had one of my MP2s on top of the MB1 (or was it MB1 on top of MP2  :dunno: ), they were just sitting in the angle studio rack though, not bolted in so no gap between them.
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

MarshallJMP

• View Profile
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Normally an MDRT hooked up to a 3TM with the lid off get's to around 36-38 °C (depending on the room temp).

For the rest it depends where you put the mp-1 in, the cooling it gets etc... but it can stand at least 50°C.

Rusty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the replys guys,
I'm thinking I might drill some holes on the lids and get some more extra air moving.

"Let us never forget our beloved founder -
RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much"

rnolan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well you could do that, how do you have it mounted ? You really shouldn't need to drill more holes, not that they will hurt.
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

MarshallJMP

• View Profile
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I agree with Nolan, maybe a fan would be a better idea. Blow some air in your rack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up