ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI backup sysex  (Read 786 times)

Edfardos

MIDI backup sysex
« on: Time Format »

I'm fortunate to have two MP1's.   RevG(2.00), and RevC(2.01)

I use midi to backup my presets to the PC, and/or transfer presets from one box to the other.

However, the 2.01 box will not restore presets from the PC over MIDI 

Fun facts:

Write protect is OFF on both
The 2.00 box will restore presets from the PC
The 2.01 box will restore presets directly from the 2.00 box, and vice versa if on same midi channel.
The 2.00 box will restore presets from both PC and the 2.01 box
After sync'ing the boxes with each other, the sysex backup dumps are different from each box.

Anyone have experience backing up and restoring a 2.01 MP1 using midi/sysex?

Is there a way to convert the sysex to a paper copy with all the settings human readable?

using a Linux command line, fwiw,

cat ada_MP1_2.01_backup_082123.sysex > /dev/snd/midiC4D0    # works on 2.00, but not 2.01.

I also tried sendmidi.

curiously,
-edfardos

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MIDI backup sysex
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Edfaedos.  Welcome to the depot  :wave:

Firstly RevG and RevC refer to (or should refer to) the main board revision.  The EPROM version v2.00 and v2.01 are firmware and factory patches and can be installed in any MP-1.  I don't recall what the difference is between v2.00 and 2.01 EPROMs.  The ability to dump and load sysex was introduced in v2.00 which also included a bunch more factory presets, some for the (then newly released) vintage split stacks (60 - 69) and equivalent for original split stacks (30 - 39) plus a couple more new patches (40 - 59) for original split stacks. 

Not to be confused with MP-1 early versions (characterised by the top switch (line or inst level output), line level rear jack and initially v1.38 EPROM) and the later MP-1 version which included 2.00 EPROM and inst level rear jack and no top switch.  Within both early and later MP-1s the main board had various revisions. 

The last EPROM ADA released was v2.01, again I don't know what changed between 2.00 and 2.01 (Harley??, MJMP?? any ideas??) but the sysex stuff and factory presets was/should be the same.  There are some notes (see attached) regarding connecting to PC and avoiding MIDI feedback but I don't think that's your issue  :dunno: .  If you swap the EPROMs over in each unit does it still have the same issue?? (something to try).  If you need new 2.01 EPROMS (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm) 

As far as I know there shouldn't be any difference in the sysex dumps from v2.00 and 2.01.  Also you should be able to read the files with a text editor.  When I first did a dump ages ago from (my then) MP-1 I could open the file in Notepad and see the settings.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Edfardos,

First of all, welcome to the Depot :wave:

Unfortunately, I never backed up my MIDI files on a PC, The closest I came to that is an Alesis MIDI Librarian that was included in my rack with the MIDI gear.
    What I would suggest is you review your settings in the PC for the V201 connection and verify that all of the sysex requirements are set correctly. Just one small incorrect setting can stop the data transfer. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check the MIDI setup in the V 201 too. Other than one setting being off when it should be on, I can't think of any reason why the MIDI dump won't work.

I know that's not much help, but it's the best suggestion I can come up with at the moment,

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Edfardos

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Okay, thanks guys, it sounds like I haven’t overlooked anything then, just bad luck.   I should really write down my patches to be sure.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I have done backups  with 2.01 using bome sendsx and it worked.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Okay, thanks guys, it sounds like I haven’t overlooked anything then, just bad luck.   I should really write down my patches to be sure.
Always a good idea  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Always a good idea  :thumb-up:

+1 :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up