ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion on "Last edited" timeout  (Read 4656 times)

vansinn

Suggestion on "Last edited" timeout
« on: Time Format »

I'd like the see some sort of timer on the Modify action when posting.
I often think faster than I can type (believe it or not!), and as such goes back to fix my speeleng erours or conceptional ideas.
I believe this happens to others as well.
As such, posts will show the "Last Edited" thingy, requiring re-reading the post, only to find not'n really has changed but some minor speeeng fixes.

I don't remember if the forum software has such a timeout feature.
If available, I'd say some 5-6, max 10, minutes would be enough to fix dem speeleng erours :facepalm:

EDIT: See? I just edited this to prefs twice..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Suggestion on "Last edited" timeout
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Van, I haven't seen anything in the config settings to limit edits, as I understand it, if it's your post you can edit/modify it whenever you like, even weeks or months later...  As admin I think we can also modify any post (not that we do).

I sometimes preview my rants before posting, always find one or two typos etc. and fix them up. Also I'm still training the spell checker  :facepalm: .  Very rarely, I'll see something later in one of my posts and I'll go back and modify it.  I'd not noticed the "last edited" field, now you point it out, I see it there LoL.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I've seen "Reason for Editing: " added with that on other forums.  Then if you edit your post you can give a reason. ie., if it says "Speeling" everyone knows it was edited for a spelling correction.   ;)
A "hiccup BUUUURP" as a reason to edit simply means "too drunk to type"  (like the DK song but about typing and not....you know.)  lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ok, there are 2 settings of relevance:
Courtesy edit wait time; (currently set to 90 seconds) Number of seconds allowed for a post to be edited before logging the last edit date.
Of more relevance:
Maximum time after posting to allow edit; (currently 0 ie disabled) Number of minutes allowed to pass before a user can no longer edit a post they have made. Set to 0 disable.
Note: This will not affect any user who has permission to edit other people's posts.

So no reason for editing (that I could find, although you could drop in a note if you do any edits ?)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

None of the two settings seems to me to do what I suggested.
The courtesy setting doesn't hide that the post was edited, merely waits the courtesy time before time stamping the edit.
The maximum setting simply means that after this time, no further edits are allowed (just keep it at 0).

A suitable setting, had this been present, could've been named Courtesy edit time to reason.

My request is not that important, so don't waste time and sleep over it.
EDIT: But oh wait, I just edited this post twice, and see no "Last edited" notification.
And I swear I haven't rebooted my lappie since yesterday.. ;)

EDIT2: Oh, it seems my last edit did get recorded. So, it seems the Courtesy time of 90 secs might indeed be the one controlling when edits gets recorded; that is, the total time I spend editing twice likely exceeded 90 seconds from my first post.

You could try change Courtesy to, say, 300 seconds. Might do the job..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

True, no "Reason" option available on this Board version.  I was merely noting that I have seen that option in the past on other Boards.
It hardly ever got used correctly (if at all) there anyway.   :crazy:

vansinn

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Works fine on http://sevenstring.org, but that's about the only place I've seen it work, so..
Pages: [1]   Go Up