ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3TM mod  (Read 9938 times)

heavyelement

3TM mod
« on: Time Format »

How would I go about getting this mod and having it done , also how is it different then how my Ada is now?
Rev.Troy King
Adjutant American Legion Post 504
Commander
Kane County American Legion
Co-Founder of Stuff On The Floor Studios

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: 3TM mod
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hi Heavyelement,

With the 3TM mod, your only clean tones will come from the SS voicing. Your clean tube will no longer be clean, but very overdriven with heavy gain saturation.
    The dist voicing will have insane amounts of gain...enough to peel back the asphalt in your driveway.

As for how to go about getting the mod done, you could order the parts from MJMP when they become available, but I would recommend getting a really savvy tech to do the mod for you. Too many solder iron handy guys have botched it up trying to do it themselves. It's also a good idea to get a cap job on the MP-1 to be modified.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

When I had the 3TM, I never even needed to use the Tube Dist channel...all my mayhem was taken care of in the Tube Clean.   :metal:

Samuraipanda

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

When I had the 3TM, I never even needed to use the Tube Dist channel...all my mayhem was taken care of in the Tube Clean.   :metal:

And who doesn't like some good ol' clean mayhem??? :banana-upsidedown: :banana-upsidedown: :banana-upsidedown:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

You can get one from me if you're interested,just send me an email and I'll hook you up with one.

heavyelement

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hi Heavyelement,

With the 3TM mod, your only clean tones will come from the SS voicing. Your clean tube will no longer be clean, but very overdriven with heavy gain saturation.
    The dist voicing will have insane amounts of gain...enough to peel back the asphalt in your driveway.

As for how to go about getting the mod done, you could order the parts from MJMP when they become available, but I would recommend getting a really savvy tech to do the mod for you. Too many solder iron handy guys have botched it up trying to do it themselves. It's also a good idea to get a cap job on the MP-1 to be modified.

Harley 8)
What do you mean by getting a cap done on it , I've never heard of it before?
Rev.Troy King
Adjutant American Legion Post 504
Commander
Kane County American Legion
Co-Founder of Stuff On The Floor Studios

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

It would be a good idea to replace the filter caps when getting the 3TM mod done, that will help keep the noise down. The tech who did mine replaced a handful of caps in it.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Harley means the noise mod.Altough in the noise kit there's more then replacing the caps alone.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Harley means the noise mod.Altough in the noise kit there's more then replacing the caps alone.

Thanks MJMP, Matt just told me it was a cap job when he did mine.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Heavyelement, not sure how much you know about this stuff so please forgive me if you are already across it.
The 3TM mod is the 3 tube mod, ie adding a third tube to the MP1 (and whatever needs to go with it to make it work).  Each tube has 2 stages of gain (distortion the way we use them  >:D ) as they are twin triode (each triode is a gain stage which boosts the signal at it's input). Stock MP1 has 2 tubes, thus 4 gain stages. 3TM has 3 tubes so 6 gain stages (hence no clean tube sounds anymore).  Now more gain = more noise so most 3TM users seem to use noise gates to control it.

The cap changes are changing the old electrolytic capacitors as they have a liquid inside them that goes hard/solid over time and stops working properly.  Capacitors are used for a few things but particularly filtering/conditioning the power in the circuit to keep it nice and constant and quiet.  When they dry up they don't operate/filter the noise as well thus introduce more noise (very simplified explanation BTW).  The noise mod MJMP speaks of is about changing the appropriate components (mostly the old caps) with nice new modern equivalents to reduce the noise as much as possible.  This is very important if you do the 3TM mod as the additional gain will boost the noise as well as the signal.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Actually the 3TM has less noise with the same amount of gain compared to the orignal board.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

This is a good thing MJMP, but it also has lots more gain than the original  >:D yes ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

yes  >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up