ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA Monster Rig  (Read 30314 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: ADA Monster Rig
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

The B200S is a good match up with any rack mount preamp regardless of brand name, because it's the only one that amplifies cleanly, and doesn't sound like a solid state power amp doing it. I would say it's more of a Hi-fi type of amplifier for guitar.
   That isn't what I'm looking for in this case because I already know what that's like. My Strats do sing with that setup and it's a good sound, don't get me wrong, but I want to see the pre amp drive the power amp in the front end a bit harder. With the ADA power amps, all my overdrive is coming from the preamp.
   I could be wrong about this, and MJMP will correct me if I am, but I believe the Marshall preamps are a weaker output than the ADA's, (based on my experimenting with the JMP-1), and I believe the ADA will drive a Marshall power amp harder the way I'm looking for.
   As for the Mesa power amps, I'm wondering if this would work this way too? The Simul-class power amps might do this from what I'm reading about them since they are running a Class A, and Class A/B poweramp at the same time. I know Class A are the old smaller combo amp designs that did overdrive easily but at low wattage, by running the tubes hotter. Class A/B runs the tubes cooler, but more efficiently, and produce higher wattage. Running the two poweramps together the way they describe, sounds interesting, but I can't seem to come up with an audio reference that would give me an idea what that might sound like. It could sound really good, or it could sound like a train wreck for all I know.
   The Mesa 20/20 and 50/50 poweramps sound like they would amplify much like the ADA SS amps, but with tube fidelity, but I could be wrong about this too.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Samuraipanda

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Harley,
all of my old band's demos and CD were recorded with my stock MP1 into my mesa 295 into a Peavey VTM 4x12 except 3 songs where I ran my MP1 into the effects return of an old HiWatt head just using it as a power amp. I always ran the 295 in class A unless I was pushing two full stacks.

Here are all those recordings. 3 different studios and only 6 songs were recorded in a very high quality pro studio.

the 3 that are recorded with the HiWatt are Never, Antioch and No Tomorrow. that was before I bought the 295.

https://www.reverbnation.com/theoutlawpandas/songs

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey Panda, cool  :thumb-up: .  I like the HiWatt sounds the best  >:D and is along the lines I recon of what Harley is chasing I recon. BTW that's the best sound I've ever heard from a HiWatt

Hey Harley, I get what you are chasing, don't know if you can get it from a stereo tube poweramp (well you should be able to but, as you say they are designed (mostly to be clean and transparent which isn't what you want)). This is where a 12AT7 as a phase spliter can help though as the additional current drives the output tubes harder (see the article SC posted elsewhere here, quite informative).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Hey Gang,

I was browsing youtube searching for some of the combinations I've been asking about, and I ran across this one. This answers one of the questions, (sort of).

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Hey Panda,

A few questions about the 2:95.

I've been checking a few of them out on evil bay, and I've noticed there seem to be two models, one like yours, with a blank front panel. and another that seems to have attenuators on the front panel. What's the difference here?

You run yours in Class A mode you said. Doesn't that cook the tubes faster?

I'm listening to the demos as I'm typing here, some really cool tunes you guys have going on, pretty cool tones too :thumb-up:

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

I'm pretty well aware what the Hiwatt is like too. I used to own one of the original Orange OR-120R's back in the day. Very punchy.

Hiwatt and Orange were the same amplifier, just in a different case. One was marketed in Southern England, while the other in Northern England. Just like Marshall/Park, and Laney/Selmer. Strange why they did that, but I can understand the thinking back then.

I've also run across a few videos on youtube from Batsinthebelltower. He's running a Mesa 2:90 I think, but I believe he is doing all those demos with a 3TM. There is another vid he posted with a stock MP-1 through a TC G Major, but no poweramp. I would have liked to heard that through the 2:90.
     I'll keep looking though, because I'm also digging what you can get out of the VHT Two Fifty Two :whoohoo!:

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I didn't know that about HiWatt and Orange, interesting. IIRC the Park amps here were seen as cheaper Marshall copies but by then I was using MP1/B200s so I wasn't particularly interested in them (also had no money LoL). I remember Laney but not Selmer, then we don't get everything in Australia as it's such a small market, particularly with the bigger international manufacturers.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Park (the old 60's ones) are not cheap copies but actually real marshall's just with a different name.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

MJMP is absolutely correct. Those old Park amps are hard to find but there again, if you did run across one, you'd have the old Plexi under a different name.

I'm not sure why the British did it that way with those 3 brands of amplifiers. In the article I read, they basically compared Northern and Southern England, in the same way we had competition in the USA between the East and West Coast. Whereas we had different companies in the States competing for the market in the late 50's, early 60's, (i.e. Fender in California vs. Ampeg in New Jersey), maybe they were trying to give the appearance of similar competition in Northern and Southern England. Or another possibility is that maybe this was a marketing research tactic to see which brand name would be a more popular seller.
  In the early 60's Vox was just a fledgling company, that was just getting started and they didn't have a large facility for anything they were building, so they weren't included in this competition. My guess is that it was probably believed at the time that Vox wouldn't last, and would fade out after a few years. I guess no one in England saw the Beatles coming either :lol:

I know it's trivia, but still interesting how Rock and Roll affected the business community and the world as a whole.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

in 1965 the Rose Morris Agency approached Marshall about becoming the exclusive distributor of the company's goods. Marshall agreed to a 15-year pact. The contract barred the company from distributing amplifiers under the Marshall name. To continue to provide products to one of its loyal former distributors, Marshall launched a new brand "Park". Park amps, which were identical to the Marshall brand, except for the nameplate and price, and remained in production until 1982.
Jim once told it was the biggest mistake he ever made with Rose Morris since they added 55% to the price and made Marshall amps very expensive.

Other brand names Marshall Amplification had used for various business reasons included Big M (for the then-West German market), Kitchen/Marshall (for the Kitchen Music retail chain in North London), Narb (Ken Bran's surname spelled backwards) and CMI (Cleartone Musical Instruments). Amplifiers sold under these brand names are quite rare, and sell to collectors at high prices.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Ahh well there it is.

I wonder if Rose Morris Agency approached Hiwatt and Laney with the same deal.

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Update:

I found a clip of a demo using the MP-1 Classic through a Marshall 9100 power amp.  It sounded like  :poop:

Maybe because the speaker cab was a Hardke, (looked like it might be for bass guitar), and the guitar was what looked like an Epiphone copy of a 335.

On the other hand, I also found a clip of an original MP-1 through a Marshall 20/20 through a Marshall 1x12 cab. Not bad at all, but would probably be better through a 2x12. At least I could hear a reaction between the pre and power amps.

Also another original MP-1 through a Carvin T100, through a Harley Benton cab. Not very impressive. It could have been the guys preset, but it sounded squashed, and compressed, as if the input was buffered. It just didn't breathe. (Sorry Richard).

I also found a few vids of a couple of members here like Chucky playing his Classic through a Fender Twin  :wave: then another of him jamming on his MP-1.

So far...I'm liking the VHT Two Fifty Two with the ADA preamps. Still there is more to check out...

Harley 8)

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

you mean this video ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnVlCKg-P3k
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

you mean this video ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnVlCKg-P3k

Yep, that's a guitar more suited to blues or jazz, but then that speaker cab just doesn't get it at all either. That setup just didn't do it for me, but maybe that's what he likes.

Harley 8)

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

yeah it's an hartke 4x10 cab "xl serie"... great for bass, not sure for guitar
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up