ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA Monster Rig  (Read 30308 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
ADA Monster Rig
« on: Time Format »

Hey Gang,

Here I go again....

I'm going to start work on my MP-1/3TM Monster Rack again. Keeping in mind that I want the entire signal path of the system to be all ADA, and obviously I have several options of poweramps to use.
    What would your power amp choices be for such a rig?
    I do want to keep this rig in stereo, (4 Split-Stacks per side).
    I'm open to suggestions for other power amps too

Right now, I'm considering using 2 of the MT200's but they tend to add noise, so lets hear from the Forum champions.
     What power amps would you use with these two preamps?

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: ADA Monster Rig
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I would go for the marshall 9005  ;D  Ow sorry ADA only you said,if it was me the B200S or the T100S.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Micro Tube 200 sounds excellent in my rig. Doesn't add any noise in my set up. Other choices would be a Mesa 2:90 or a Mesa 50/50.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I would go for the marshall 9005  ;D  Ow sorry ADA only you said,if it was me the B200S or the T100S.

I'm open to the suggestion of other power amps. If for no other reason, than to get some poweramp color into the tone, but it has to sound good with the ADA.

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Micro Tube 200 sounds excellent in my rig. Doesn't add any noise in my set up. Other choices would be a Mesa 2:90 or a Mesa 50/50.

I've seen a few of the 50/50 amps on Ebay. Aren't they all 6L6 amps? Or can they be re-biased for EL34?

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Usually mesa amps don't have bias pots so ...

Soloist

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yes the 50/50 is 6l6. However the stereo 2:50 is designed to take both via a switch to select El34 or 6l6. On the other hand according to Mike over at Mesa you can put el34's in the class A slots of a 2:90. Only difference is they will run a little cooler beings you can't bias them. I have not tried this so I cannot give any definitive results.
Also, in the past I have gotten good results with a Carvin DCM200L.  Yeah its solid state, sounds like shit with my piranha but sounds great with the MP1.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

How about a Mesa 20/20 Dyna-Watt ?

I have not tried one myself, but everyone who I've met using one, says they are fantastic. Only 20w, but hey, they do get loud.

Soloist

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I have not tried one myself, but everyone who I've met using one, says they are fantastic. Only 20w, but hey, they do get loud.

I have also heard positive reviews on the Dyna-Watt 20/20 :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I have also heard positive reviews on the Dyna-Watt 20/20 :thumb-up:

I've been checking out reviews on the 20/20 also. It seems a lot of users say they can't get over the drummer with those. I don't see how, since combined it's putting out 40 Watts. That all my Vibrolux Reverb is and it is a great combo for a band situation, and small to medium sized venues.

I'm not in a hurry though, and I have to allow the funds for some exotic amps like that.

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Yes the 50/50 is 6l6. However the stereo 2:50 is designed to take both via a switch to select El34 or 6l6. On the other hand according to Mike over at Mesa you can put el34's in the class A slots of a 2:90. Only difference is they will run a little cooler beings you can't bias them. I have not tried this so I cannot give any definitive results.
Also, in the past I have gotten good results with a Carvin DCM200L.  Yeah its solid state, sounds like shit with my piranha but sounds great with the MP1.

That's strange. Any tube amp can be biased, it's just a matter of swapping out the correct value resistors and maybe a cap or two to adjust the voltage through the tube. They may not have bias pots, but then again, none of my old tube amps do either. They still have to be biased every time you put in a fresh set of power tubes though.

Harley 8)

I wish Micheal J Soldano made Tube power amps, that would probably do it for me :banana-rock:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

Soloist

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Sure you can bias any amp, I didnt know you were looking at something that required that much work. I was thinking you were looking for plug and play! :thumb-up:

If you have the coin Engl makes some nice power amps as well using 5881 tubes, almost a 6L6 but breaks up sooner. I know a few guys that use these and they love em.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Maybe a cheaper option is the marshall 20/20, I have one and these are good amps.

BUT since this is an ADA monster rig you should use a ADA amp I think??

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Sure you can bias any amp, I didnt know you were looking at something that required that much work. I was thinking you were looking for plug and play! :thumb-up:

If you have the coin Engl makes some nice power amps as well using 5881 tubes, almost a 6L6 but breaks up sooner. I know a few guys that use these and they love em.

Actually, I'm not looking at something that requires that much work, I would prefer not to anyway. My comments are based on what I'm seeing is out there and available, which is pretty much the same. Either way, it looks like a costly proposition.

Soldano amps use 5881 Sovtek tubes in them because they can handle 700 volts across the plate, which surprises me, since I tend to think of Sovtek tubes as weak with a short life span. Maybe I'm wrong in that respect. It seems Mike  Soldano has figured out a reliable circuit for them.
    I have no experience with the Mesa amps, but I know several of the members here do, so I'm relying heavily on the comments and opinions of how they respond with the ADA preamps from what the users here have to say about them.

Maybe a cheaper option is the marshall 20/20, I have one and these are good amps.

BUT since this is an ADA monster rig you should use a ADA amp I think??

My original plan is for 2 poweramps to drive eight Split-Stacks with. If one amp could deliver a good enough performance, I would probably be good with that.

As far as the ADA amps that I like, my favorite setup is to use the MT100's in mono bridged mode, but they don't last like that, One channel always seems to blow. There were long discussions in the old Forum about that, but no one ever seemed to figure out why that happens, or how to solve that. Besides, using MT100's like that would require 8 of them, and I'd have to put them in a separate rack. Not very practical.
  For now, it seems like two B200S, or two MT200's would be my options.

Harley 8)

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Another vote for the MT200.... :banana:
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up