ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA Monster Rig  (Read 30318 times)

DorsetRatt

Re: ADA Monster Rig
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

This may help ...

I've been using a 9005 power amp since about 1989/90'ish when they first came out. Great tone IMHO, I've had it paired with several preamps over the years, and it's always delivered the goods ... ada mp-1, ada mp-2, marshall 9001, soldano sp-77, etc.

I sold my first 9005 to get a 9100 ... at the time I considered it to be an upgrade (I'd spent too long looking at glossy photos of the jmp-1, jfx and 9100 in magazine adverts). The 9100 was a good power amp, but to my ears it sounded a bit too tight and modern, whereas the 9005 sounded warmer/vintage (and complemented the mp-1 very well). So I sold the 9100 and bought another 9005 :thumb-up: I've still got, and it gets used nearly every day (but only at home volume nowadays).

Note: The 9100 had the 5881 valves, whereas the 9005 runs el34's, perhaps this may explain why I prefer the sound of the 9005.

The 9005 is big, and heavy, but I think it's worth it for the tone. I have the 9005 in its own dedicated 4u rack case, with my other preamps/processors in a 6u rack case which sits on top.

IMHO having good valve tone in a power amp is a key ingredient, it adds another piece to the overall sound. I like the characteristics ... insert appropriate words here ... sag/compression, dynamics, touch, feel, warmth, bloom, etc. Find the sweet spot (the old school reaction) and it's awesome!
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Yeah Tomy,

I thought it was too but I wasn't certain. One thing I do know is those aluminum cones are great for bass, but they suck the tone from a guitar amp. Old vintage bass amps sound great with a guitar, but they have the paper cones.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Duke of Metal

« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

VHT 2/50/2 with a 3TM MP-1  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0KT8qkJFF8

Cheers  :metal:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Duke of Metal »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Well well ,look who's back the dukester of metal, hey Duke long time no see my brother !!!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah Duke :thumb-up:

I think I'll be looking for one of those in the future

Harley 8)

Duke of Metal

« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Well well ,look who's back the dukester of metal, hey Duke long time no see my brother !!!
What's Up Brotha?  Hope all is well.

I am getting back into the music stuff lately.  Playing more and more.  Trying to find local Jam scenes and possibly a group to jam with.

Duke of Metal

« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah Duke :thumb-up:

I think I'll be looking for one of those in the future

Harley 8)
Cheers Buddy.  Hope all is well.  :canadian-flag-banana-smiley-e

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Hey welcome back Duke!!!  :canadian-flag-banana-smiley-e

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Well Duke, I'm glad you're back !!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Well Duke, I'm glad you're back !!

+1 It's good to see you back here Duke :thumb-up:

I'm hanging in there!

Harley  8)

Duke of Metal

« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Hey welcome back Duke!!!  :canadian-flag-banana-smiley-e
Holy man..  Kim, whats up buddy.  been ages since we spoke.  hope all is well with you.

Anything new and exciting?

Slimjim

• ADA Since 1987
    • YouTube
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Although it could be argued that the MP-1 sounds good thru any amp, it has a wide range EQ section, the power amp/speaker furthers the definition. I use a few options and they're on a switch, giving one button access. They all sound great, but each power amp is voiced differently. The Mesa rack amps are certainly Mesa sounding. What a hail of tight focused punches. But, as you can guess, it is tone starved, lifeless, sterile for singing leads. I have run every speaker except Blues with it, but settled as shown. To move away from Mesa, I tried the Peavey EL84 tubes, this amp shapes very well with presence/resonance control. It is probably the most versatile. The Marshall, is glorious for higher frequency, full midrange, full sound and very versatile with speakers, but the low end drops right off. Dukes VHT clips are down right inspirational, and have been for many years. Great to see you again Duke.

As a side note, the 2:100 is the amp designed for the Rec Pre, it has special modes that can be switched with a momentary remote, introducing the modern mode, which is a bass boost/mid scoop. Combining the two recreates two Dual Rec (diode) amps. Using the MP-1 with it works best to switch the relay to modern for rhythm, and vintage for solos. This amp can prove difficult without that ability to switch the relay. There is no switch on the amp, only a remote.

The Peavey EL84 Classic 50/50 can shape sounds, but lacks the overall brightness of both the Marshall and the Mesa. It is guilty of always sounding warm. Not necessarily a bad thing.

For cleans the Rec Pre is best preamp I have, overbuilt, heavy duty, good at all levels.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Slimjim »
Les Paul Traditional, ES-335 Lemonburst, Explorer 120, Ibanez UV77 SVR, Suhr PT Sig Std, Rickenbacker 620-12, ESP E-II M-II, Fender H.E.R. Stratocaster, Xaviere XV-900, Buscarino,  
Peavey Classic 50/50, Mesa Stereo 2:100, Marshall EL34 50/50, Marshall JMP, Victoria Sovereign, Victoria Victorilux
________
Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL (x2), Eventide Orville, Eventide H8000fw, TC Electronic 1210, Great River MP2-NV, Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4, Dave Hill Designs Europa 1(x2), UK Sound 1173
_______
Fireface UC, Fireface UFX, Hosa Format Converters
______
Fishman Tripleplay, Spectrasonics Keyscape, Omnisphere, Italo DeAngelis Sound Library
_____
Surface Pro 4, FL Studio 20, EZD2.0, Fabfilter ProQ2, Gullfoss, Waves CLA-3A, CLA-2A, CLA-76, API-2500, SSL G-Series Comp

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

That's very useful info Slimjim,

That tells me the Mesa 2:100 would be better off with the MP-2 instead of the MP-1 or the Classic. As far as tube power amps go, so far the only one that seems like it might give me what I'm looking for with the Classic is the 2/50/2. I see them come up on ebay every now and then, but I'm not in a hurry. I can still use the ADA's I have until I'm ready to take the plunge. Right now, my priority is to get my recording set up going so I can get some tracks down, and get some music happening with what I have.

Thanks for the heads up :thumb-up:

VoxG2

« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

I suppose 2 T100s, but I too am curious about the Mesa 20/20 Dyna-Watt!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Hey VoxG2,

I was thinking about one of those too, but I've read in another forum about how they just don't cut through in a band situation. I saw several posts referencing that point.
     That seems a bit odd to me, considering how lately there seems to be a lot of low powered amps on the market which appears to be the popular trend these days, I can't help but wonder did Mesa make a super weak poweramp, or are these guys' drummers just too loud? After all, this is two 20 watt power amps which amounts to almost 40 watts combined, and it still can't get in the mix? I can use my 40 watt Fender Vibrolux Reverb 2x10 combo in a bar band setting, and it can be too loud for the club, so hiow does the Mesa not cut through? :???:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up