ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP1 vs Marshall JMP-1 Are they similar in Tone  (Read 20874 times)

idouglascs

Hi, I have a Marshall JMP-1 and a B200s Poweramp.

I really liked the ADA poweramp and was thinking about buying a MP1.

What I read about ADA MP1 tone is that it like a Hot rodded Marshall amp.

JMP-1 tones are all Marshall.

My question is: Will I have any benefit, better tone or feel, getting a MP1?

Thank you all

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I've not tried a JMP1, here's an extract from a JMP1 review I was reading.
"I've also owned an ADA MP-1 and would say that they're two different beasts. The JMP-1 interface is much easier to master, but the MP-1 has the on-board light chorus effect that really punctuates the 80's rock sound."

IMO the ADA MP1/2 preamps are the best preamps ever made and still are.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t

Hello igouglascs!
Out of all my pre's The JMP1 and MP1 are the 2 I use most. :thumb-up: Yes the JMP1 does Marshall tones, very well I might add but that is all it does, and the cleans are meh. The cleans with the on-board chorus on the MP1 are waaaaayyyy better. As rnolan said 80's tones, like Skid Row, White Lion, Racer X, Thunder, ect. just ooozze from the MP1. You cant get that type of a saturated 80's tone from the JMP1 unless you mod the hell out of it. They also sound great blended together with the right settings, complimenting each other giving you that "wall of sound". The MP1 feels "tubeyer" for lack of a better word, a bit warmer with a touch of compression.
They are very different sounding and have a different feel to each. If you can do it get both, you can cover a wide spectrum of tones! :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

Hi, BUT...as i understand, you can mod your ada mp1 (3tm mod),  to get close into marshall tone. I 've never tried it.
Does anyone have compared mp1 (3tm) & jmp1 ?
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

idouglascs

Thank you all.

If they sound and feel diferent, than I will buy a MP1.

I was afraid they overlap.

I read somewhere that MP1 tone can be heard at Extreme III album. I listened and liked a lot. Is that really MP1's tone?
« Last Edit: Time Format by idouglascs »

Soloist

They only overlap if you mod one to sound like the other. Completely different voicings.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

And the mp-1 has a tube distortion,the JMP-1 has not,the distortion is created with diodes and then the sound is pushed through a tube to warm up the sound.The JMP-1 is not a really bad preamp but if i could choose i'll take the mp-1.

Also in technical point of view marshall stole a lot of the mp-1's design except for the most imported thing,the tube distortion.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Well Soloist has nailed it IMO (and he has both JMP1 & MP1 so can compare), I can't do that comparison. But I can say, I have a 1972 50 w Marshall, which was my main amp for a very long time (and I loved it), when MP1 came to Oz I bought one ( :whoohoo!: 128 Marshall's at whatever volumes I patched...). A while ago I got out the Marshall, chucked a few new boogie SPAX7s' in it and fired it up. The MP1 shits on it so bad.... and the MP2 IMO even more (I prefer the MP2 BTW, for lots of reasons, I do still like the MP1 though)
Like I said before, the ADA preamps are the best I've ever heard. If you run up an MP1 in stereo with your B200s, I'd proffer you'll melt.....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

idouglascs

I'm talking to a guy that is selling a MP1 and a Rocktron Piranha.

Maybe I can buy both preamps, I just need a lower price.

From what I was reading and listening on YouTube, the Piranha preamp is much more aggressive, like a Rectifier.

I think I became preamp addicted. Lol

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

Preamp addicted?   I know where there's a Rocktron ProGAP v2.0 for sale at a good price... ;)

Soloist

Yes I am a preamp addict.lol... I have a Piranha as well, great throaty pre. Well built, can be too fizzy or too muddy but nothing a good eq or tube power amp can't fix. It gives you those recto tones a stock jmp and mp1 cant. Basically a poor man's Triaxis. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

CRACK GEAR! lol

El Chiguete

.. It gives you those recto tones a stock jmp and mp1 cant. Basically a poor man's Triaxis. :thumb-up:

Ohhhhhh I like the sound of that!!!  :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

Yes I am a preamp addict.lol... I have a Piranha as well, great throaty pre. Well built, can be too fizzy or too muddy but nothing a good eq or tube power amp can't fix. It gives you those recto tones a stock jmp and mp1 cant. Basically a poor man's Triaxis. :thumb-up:
And what about your Gsp??how do you feeling with it ?
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Soloist

I like the Gsp2101 much better than the 1101. For one thing the 1101 is all solid state  :nono:, the 2101 is a tube driven preamp. also with the 1101 its 1 effect at a time, the 2101 I can use 8 eq's in a row if I wanted too.
Major learning curve to program it, I have been messing with it for a month and have only scratched the surface. The effects in it are excellent.
I have seen some y.t. vids where it sounds top notch but I cannot get those tones out of it (yet). I think most of the videos on it have been enhanced with reaper or Cubase.
Great cleans, having trouble getting the med gain and high gain tones I want from it. I might end up moving it from my live rig to the studio.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up