ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden used an MP-1!!!  (Read 21043 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden used an MP-1!!!
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

When I had my Marshall DSL I would run a DS-1 into the crunch channel, gain on amp about 3.
On the DSL's clean the DS-1 just didn't have enough hair for me so on that channel I used the Boss power stack and later a Wampler Plexitortion.
Even though the tones were nice sounding I never could get it to match the tone in my head.  :facepalm:
That why I don't own any of those pieces any more. :thumb-up:

I never try to match anything myself as in use it to try replicate even though in essesnce an MFX unit is trying to replicate.  When I use i anything like that I just try and get good sounds, perhaps in the same vein as other gear but I'm not trying to get the exact sound.

Well I experimented.  The GT5 has all analogue drive section as I mentioned probably 3000 times on this site so it's actually saught after believe it or not because Boss have had nothing like it since.  The GT3 came after and was basically the same only smaller.  It too had analogue drive section and according to some this basically meant all boss ods/distortions at your disposal.

Anyways I digress.  I basically took to experimenting at the weekend.  I got something nice like those tones we have been talking about MJMP.  I think I was afraid to try the distortions on the GT5 you know, but I'm glad I have.

What I did was, picked the Distortion 1 (basically a DS-1 style distortion), then I picked a marshall amp MS1959.  This then went through the speaker sim I use independent of the GT5.

I really liked the results.  More tweaking might be required but I was getting something similar to those Tokyo Blade and grave digger tones I like.  Perhaps a change in the marshal pre might be worth doing.  Not sure if I was using the model that has input 1 and 2 run into one another.  I must go check.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

The 1959 model is the 2 input amp.(100W 1987 is the 50W)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

The 1959 model is the 2 input amp.(100W 1987 is the 50W)

I know that but....................one option allows me to use the first input, the second option allows me to use the second input, then the 3rd options allows me to run the two inputs together.  So should I use the input 1 option?

Edit!!!!!  Sorry you have already answered this question by saying use the option where I have the two inputs in parallell (or is it series??)
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I run them togheter,channel 1 adds more treble,input 2 more bass.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I think that would be parallel then.  But anyway, yes there is an option for this preamp so I will run the DS-1 into that set up clean.  It's kinda cool sounds.  Has the fuzzy edge. Not my usual style.  But cool none the less.  Thanks MJMP.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, it's like with my '72 Marshall 50, it has 2 separate input "channels" (lead, bass) with 2 input jacks (which are wired in parallel for/in each channel). So as this amp is very toppy, I made a small patch lead, So guitar into lead jack 1, lead jack 2 (which is in parallel to lead jack 1) to Bass jack 1 (via patch cable).  Each channel has it's own input vol pot and it's own gain stage(s), 1 allegedly optimised for lead, 2 optimised for bass.  The 2 gain stages combine and you can vary the amount of either with their vol knobs. So add some bottom end and sounds better is why I did it, seems similar to what you are talking about ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Yeah you're right richard, I never knew anything about those earlier marshalls though and their odd channel system so I never really knew what it was my FX unit was saying to me when it offered these three options.  Now I know.

And what I noticed is the DS-1 works good with the two channels in parallel or else channel 2 the more bassy channel.

MJMP I find it hard to get the ds-1 uniform.  It seems to fuzz up the bass strings a lot and not so much the trebel strings.  and then I am left with unbalanced sound as the un fuzzed strings cut through and are a lot louder.  I really am enjoying the combos of the marshall pre and the ods and distortions.  It seems to work will with my fav the od-1.  Get a lot of Gerry style distortion with an OD-1 infront of the marshall PRE.

I must post some clips after I get those pickup clips sorted.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, well back then it wasn't an odd channel system. This is from the days where every one plugged into the same amp (so guitar into lead channel, bass into bass channel), when I bought the Marshall, it was being used as a fold back amp. Sounds like crap BTW compared with MP1/2 (not that it sounds bad), maybe I should sell it.. Though I have ideas to mod it.. The early Marshall's also don't have a master vol, so to make mine sound reasonable, I have to use a power soak (bunch of resistors between power amp and speaker) so I can be in the same room as it when I turn it up to sound decent...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Well Gerry,don't forget you're not using the real thing here so it will sound different,but it works great for me.I even use a SD-1 sometimes in front of the Ds-1 to have more gain and a more defined sound.Another pedal i use a lot is the Boss metal zone.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Well Gerry,don't forget you're not using the real thing here so it will sound different,but it works great for me.I even use a SD-1 sometimes in front of the Ds-1 to have more gain and a more defined sound.Another pedal i use a lot is the Boss metal zone.
I know it's not the real thing but we're talking about rough ball park area :)

I find the Metal distortion modules on the GT5 may be sound a little more like the DS-1.  i DUNNO.  On that unit there is some degree of going through the same circuit I guess other wise how could they fit all those analogue boss od/distortion tones into one unit eh?  Well I find the metal Distortions and Roland JC pre selected on the GT5 pretty good but with an EQ tailored as well.  The response of those distortions is great.  I should record some findings.  I have a lot to demo for people!  Trying to find the time though  :facepalm:

rADAr

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Here is a pic of Adrian's rig, featured in Guitarist magazine, june 1999 edition :)

ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock
ADA MP-1 1.38 w/MRDT+2.01 upgrade

El Chiguete

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Awesome find! Now I have to look around to see if I can get that hole issue to download :)
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up