ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: do the MP-1 and MP-2 sound the same with equal settings?  (Read 3775 times)

El Chiguete

For the guys that have them both and use the same or similar tubes on them, do they sound really similar using the same settings or totally different? Just wondering how much different they tried one to be voiced vs the other one.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, they sound quite different is the short answer, as you know I've owned both and I still get to play through my old MP1 from time to time as MikeB has it. And also coz Mike and I are in a band together, I get to hear both at the same time (both cab simed and loud and live).
The biggest difference is (sound wise) probably in the voicing, MP2 has 10 tube voices (no SS) from clean through to very high gain. Some say the MP2 sounds too processed (well depends on the settings selected but I don't agree anyway). The MP2 is capable of a much wider variety of tones than the MP1 (well IMHO), and I've never got (or tried to get) the MP1 sound from my MP2. I like the MP2's sound. I also very much liked my MP1, served me well for many years/gigs, it's probably best described as a more "organic" tone than the MP2.
MP2s have lots more gain than MP1s (hence 3TMs, well to some extent), but also they have just about everything you need in them, if they had a decent stereo digital (or analogue (harder to do)) time based FX (delay, reverb etc), you wouldn't need anything else for recording, and live just power amp(s) and cabs.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

Ok I thought they would use one of all those voicings to keep or stay close to the original MP-1 voicing and then expand more.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

You can't compare both preamps,they are totally different.You just can't get them to sound the same.

Mp-1:better in distortion sounds,cleans are less,great chorus,no stereo effectloop

MP-2:better in clean sounds,some good overdive sounds,distortion is not so good and waaay to noisy but it does have alot more gain.Has also a great analog chorus and some other analog effects and it has a stereo effectloop with a mix setting you can program (so you can set it as  serial/parallel effectloop).

So for me the i use them both,mp-2 for cleans and mp-1 for distortion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up