ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct Recording with MP1  (Read 6517 times)

Metropolis

Direct Recording with MP1
« on: Time Format »

Anyone have suggestions on direct recording with MP1.   Gain levels  vs output levels.  Also how should I set up my input output levels on my components.  Unity Gain?
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Direct Recording with MP1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Best way is put a ADA GCS-2/3 cab sim (or similar) in the MP1 loop, this adjusts for the eq difference between MP1/2 patches into guitar cabs (lots more tops coz 12s don't do high freq), and direct (and a bit more, emulates different cab mic choices, angles etc). Check some of the posts re MikeBs MP1 rig with GMaj and ART split mix.
Input/output should always be unity gain unless you want to achieve something different (there are times you may want to, but not often).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Like rnolan, I recommend you use your Microcab II between MP-1 and mixer/interface.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Metropolis

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

How exactly do I integrate my gear with a small line mixer.  I really would like my final output signal to remain stereo.  Any particular mixer suggestions?   
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What they're saying is, use a speaker emulator or a cabinet simulator in order to get the full benefit of an MP-1 running directly into the board.

My MP-2 has cab simulators, as does my MP-1 Classic. I find each one to work well enough for the intended audience (a bunch of drunk people yelling FREEBIRD! or JOURNEY!). Get a good cab simulator and you'll keep it forever.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Metro, there's lots of mixer choices depending what you want to be able to do and of course price  :) this one interested me to go in my live rack (http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/mixers/sm10/sm10/) but would also work well in a small recording setup. It includes 2 mic inputs but only 2 aux sends which you'd use up with one stereo FX unit. I use a Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro desk for recording (and another for small live PA).  Great desk and not overly expensive. 4 usable aux sends and direct outs on the first 8 channels (very handy for recording), though on board FXs are crap so I don't use them at all.

You have 2 choices with the MCabII (as it has 2 channels (pun not intended LOL)).
1. MP1 A/B out > MCabII ch1/2 in, MCabII out 1/2 > mixer line in ch 1/2 pan hard left/right Mixer out L/R to recording I/O L/R ins
or
2. MP1 loop send > MCabII chan1, MCabII out 1 > MP1 loop return, MP1 A/B out > mixer line in ch 1/2 pan hard left/right Mixer out L/R to recording I/O L/R ins
Both above preserve stereo but I'd proffer 1. is the better option and you could add a mono FX thingy in the loop. I add FX at the mixer (check my rig set up in other posts (e.g. http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=117.0)). Also with the MCabII you can run your normal guitar amp/cab at the same time as it has 2 dry outs.
Mixers are made to be flexible so you have a variety of patching options depending on what you want to do. As they get smaller and cheaper you tend to get less options.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Has anybody tried out that Two Notes Torpedo Live load Box?Seems to work very well.Saw it in a Friedman amp test.

Sounds really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtlGvPYex4
Pages: [1]   Go Up