ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing two MP1's together  (Read 4375 times)

Rusty

Mixing two MP1's together
« on: Time Format »

Hi, I own three un-moded MP1's, My plan/project is to keep one stock, one with the stock gain mod and one with the 3.666 mod.

After I mod these I plan on mixing the 3.666 with the stock gain mod, kind of like the feature that the Blackstar amps have that mix a 'British sound with the USA sound'. I know it will not be exactly that but I have loads of time on my hands to experiment.

Has any of you tried this and what kind of results did you find? Thanks.   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Mixing two MP1's together
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, I haven't tried it with MP1s but the idea is sound, I've done it with other things to good affect but generally run them through their own cabs.  If you use a small desk and blend them that way it should sound good (and split the input to feed them both). That's how I'd do it.
Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thank you rnolan,

I am going to build a little stereo Y box (two stereo ins and one stereo out) then I plan on experimenting and I expect long hours of tweaking and button pushing  :-\ but when I get the mix right I'll store the preset's that I can call it up at any time on my midi pedal. I can even have one completely off and the other on so I can switch between the USA sound to the British' ish sound. I'm 'kinda' excited about this project and doing the mods.

Cheers!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, no worries  :wave: You'll also need to split the guitar signal between the 2 MP1s. You can buy A/B A+B switches. I rewired an old Peavey foot switch this way, so guitar in and A and B outs

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yes rnolan, something like that for the inputs plus a stereo one for the outs. I thinking about just a Y input cable that I could make up myself and use the master gain on the front panel to do the mix level.
I cannot see any problem by plugging the guitar into two MP1's at the same time as I have used two JMP Marshalls before and simply ran an extra guitar cable from the spare input from the one that I was plugged into and ran it into the input of the other one. It worked fine for me, can you see any problems with doing this with the MP1's?

Using the MP1's like so I could simply adjust the master gain levels, eq and gain etc on both units accordingly along with my TC GMajor2 then store the presets ready to call it up with my midi pedal. It should be OK to do so right?   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, should work fine  :thumb-up: . If you like the results you can tart it up later with a input switch (adds easy change options) and other ways to combine output signals (e.g. Splitmix, passive, stereo, not too expensive). The way you are proposing is easiest/cheapest in some ways but you'll need to make a bunch of patches on both MP1s so you can have just one or the other or both.
And yes you'll need to use the master vol levels on MP1s (both patch and front knob) and in/out/mix levels on TC. But should work a treat  >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up