ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cosmetic Restoration  (Read 5009 times)

Jaster

Cosmetic Restoration
« on: Time Format »

I have an MP1 in pretty rough shape that I'd like to restore. If I were to see another one for sale in great shape at the right price then I'd be tempted to buy it, but I'd rather keep this one alive if possible and keep another good unit in circulation.

Things like jacks are easy enough, pot knobs equally so (not original but I have some with a blue trim that are passable), but the one thing that eludes me is the main front panel - mine was pretty bad when I got it. It's scratched, faded, and the cover over the display is long-gone, although the display itself and all the buttons are fine. I would assume that replacement parts are non-existent these days, so has anyone ever attempted to replace it with something else? One idea I had (which would obviously be less of a restoration and more of a modification), was to build a new front panel with momentary push switches to replace the membrane switches. It would look nothing like an MP1, but it would be unique, and most importantly would look and function somewhat better than what I have at the moment.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Cosmetic Restoration
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Jaster,

First of all, WELCOME to the Depot!!

Second, I seem to remember somebody in here who had a faceplate for an MP-1 some time ago. Keep the feelers out, check the Free Classifieds section too - that may be a good resource for you.

That said, I'd be really curious to see what you come up with for an 'after market' faceplate!  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well that all can be done,but if it works i would keep it like it is.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Jaster, this project is going in that direction (http://mp1.damicos.net/) and shows good promise.
Although I tend to agree with MJMP, if it works keep it like it is.  You can pick up dead units cheap so you could buy them for parts ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Jaster

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the welcome.

As you say it makes no sense to change anything while the buttons still work, I just plan to give quite a lot of TLC to the internals so it would be nice to have it looking clean on the outside too. I'm aware of the digital MP1 project - that's far beyond the scope of what I was thinking, which was to simply replace the front panel and use push-button switches instead of membranes!

I'll keep my ear to the ground for dead units for parts - they seem to be rare enough on places like eBay in any condition working or other wise but I'm in no hurry. With regards to the internals, MJMP expect an email regarding bits on your website at some point in the coming weeks!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Ok let me know if i can help out.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Jaster, maybe do a post in the buy/sell ADA gear area some of our members may have one you can use for parts.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up