ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61191 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #75 on: Time Format »

You can't really do thrash metal tones without a boost or super tight.  The chunk is not there.  Don't get me wrong I love without the boost as well, but there is a point where turning OD1 and OD2 up more will not do a higher gain tone any better.  For the third layer you need something in front.  Either that or use  3tm.  I have both so have the option, but something cool to my ears about a pedal infront of my standard MP1.

I did play a show without a boost one time and it was great for a lot of our material, but for the faster thrashier tone numbers it was not doing the job.

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chamai

« Reply #76 on: Time Format »

You can't really do thrash metal tones without a boost or super tight.  The chunk is not there.  Don't get me wrong I love without the boost as well, but there is a point where turning OD1 and OD2 up more will not do a higher gain tone any better.  For the third layer you need something in front.  Either that or use  3tm.  I have both so have the option, but something cool to my ears about a pedal infront of my standard MP1.

I did play a show without a boost one time and it was great for a lot of our material, but for the faster thrashier tone numbers it was not doing the job.

the chunk is there for sure. i wasn't a believer on how much the power amp can color the sound. get your hands on an old school marshall 9002 or those big mesa power amps. it can do thrash. my mp1 sounds like a boosted jcm 800. again, we all know the mp1's bass frequencies are messed up.

the power amp man. TRUST ME. i pretty much ditched my mosvalve right away. the difference was night and day.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #77 on: Time Format »

Awww I would get an amp like that but I have to think about travel and getting my rig on planes etc so a huge 9002 would not be practical.  I still dunno how it can add that chunk though?  That's normally something you get from another gain stage before the power amp.  But hey if it's changed things for you for the better then  :whoohoo!:

I switched to Rocktron Velocity power amps this year and I have to say I love them.  Totally feels smooth and spongey compared to other SS amps.  I dunno what they have inside those things but it's a great sounding power amp.  It adds a more 3d feel and sounds excellent.

Using the MP1 direct into a recording unit (as I do a lot) I defo need a boost in front.  I don't when using my Rockmaster preamps because they have a push pull boost built in and turns the Ultra Gain channel into that more saturated kind of distortion.

Soloist, do you find you always need your boost in front of your MP1?  What's it like with a compressor in front?
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chamai

« Reply #78 on: Time Format »

Awww I would get an amp like that but I have to think about travel and getting my rig on planes etc so a huge 9002 would not be practical.  I still dunno how it can add that chunk though?  That's normally something you get from another gain stage before the power amp.  But hey if it's changed things for you for the better then  :whoohoo!:

I switched to Rocktron Velocity power amps this year and I have to say I love them.  Totally feels smooth and spongey compared to other SS amps.  I dunno what they have inside those things but it's a great sounding power amp.  It adds a more 3d feel and sounds excellent.

Using the MP1 direct into a recording unit (as I do a lot) I defo need a boost in front.  I don't when using my Rockmaster preamps because they have a push pull boost built in and turns the Ultra Gain channel into that more saturated kind of distortion.

Soloist, do you find you always need your boost in front of your MP1?  What's it like with a compressor in front?

no clue why, but does add chunk. my od1 and od2 settings where a lot higher when i ran my mp1 with my mosvalve. now i had to lower them quite a bit. both coz the power amp added a bit of distortion. cranked el34's gives that huge sound. sounds even bigger through the loop of my dual rectifier, but it sounds a lot smoother and way too much bass. it's still not as super tight as running an od pedal up front, but close. it's running on 50 watt mode through tow 1x12 loaded g12t75 speakers. it's heavy as shit, but i don't gig. i wish my wife would allow me to get a pair of 4x12's. i wanna experience it.
my settings are od1: 6.5 od2: 4.2 B:9 m:4 t:4 p:4. rate:0.1. these settings would not work on my mosvalve at all.

and i am the kinda guy that boost every amp i own.  the mp1 with 9002 is the only amp that i don't need a boost and rather not have one. i love the 9002 so much that i run my other amps with it. best $400 bucks cdn ive ever spent.  :headbanger:

« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #79 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, I have several ways I boost my Mp1.
Mid boost with a modified boss eq. Always on for dirty tones (pre distortion /od). Next a tube screamer use this for clean boost leads. Boss Super Over Drive, use occasionally to add some more hair to the tone. After distortion /od mxr 10 band eq for additional touch of bass. Compressor is pre eq and distortion used mostly on cleans, however gives you sustain for days on dirty patch.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #80 on: Time Format »

You guys are all totally off the mark.  The key to his tone isn't the 9002, it's the Barbie sticker!  I slapped one on my stock MP1-woah!  It was like night and day. ;)
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #81 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, I have several ways I boost my Mp1.
Mid boost with a modified boss eq. Always on for dirty tones (pre distortion /od). Next a tube screamer use this for clean boost leads. Boss Super Over Drive, use occasionally to add some more hair to the tone. After distortion /od mxr 10 band eq for additional touch of bass. Compressor is pre eq and distortion used mostly on cleans, however gives you sustain for days on dirty patch.

That is a couple of ways to boost right?  Not all running into one another?

So if you use the Boss Super OD, do you have other things before and after?

If I use too much of anything in front it will turn to shit.  Subtle use of anything is the only success I get with that technique.

How would you describe the benefits of your practices?

Chamai

« Reply #82 on: Time Format »

You guys are all totally off the mark.  The key to his tone isn't the 9002, it's the Barbie sticker!  I slapped one on my stock MP1-woah!  It was like night and day. ;)

now you exposed my tone secret. " I love Penis" sticker is on order" btw.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #83 on: Time Format »

My pedal board runs as follows:  Boss Noise Gate with Comp-EQ-tube screamer-super OD-mxr eq all in the noise gates loop. I use them in different combonations depending on patch, guitar, tuning ect. By putting them in the gates loop it settles them down and makes them play nice with one another. I love this set up, very versatile for playing almost anything.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Chamai

« Reply #84 on: Time Format »

do you guys ever find that boosting the mp1 makes it sound thin? it packs a nice punch, but really thins out the tone
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #85 on: Time Format »

@ Chamai Depends on the boost

So if I use an overdrive block from my boss gt5 it thinned it out, and all I did to compensate was add a little more low end in via the EQ on the GT5.  No issues.

So lately as mentioned in a few posts back I got this EXAR OD-1.  No thinning at all using it as a boost. And as I mentioned in the same post, your using virtually nothing but the level control when boosting, an extra drive totally turns it to shit very fast.  Using the exar as a boost added or kept the muscle from before being boosted.  I tried to describe this in the original post.

So I ordered this biyang xdrive pedal and I wish to experiment with it as a boost and see what results I get.

There are a tonne of options including changing internal chips and I am interested to find out how good this pedal will work as boost in front of the MP1.  I posted a thread on here about it already but no one was interested.

Richard you should like this video it has an Aussie doing the video. Actually, I have found a lot of videos like this from Australians and I find them very good  :thumb-up:

Happy New Year also guy's

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #86 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good video, interesting pedal, the different chips change the mood of the sound but subtly.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #87 on: Time Format »

the od pedal i have on my board is very similar. this pedal replaced all my od pedals.

Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #88 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good video, interesting pedal, the different chips change the mood of the sound but subtly.

Well you have the switch for modes and then also the chip options, and I'm sure there are a few chips out there worth trying??  May be not?  They give you the one already from maxon and ibanez OD's so that's one to have.  For the price this pedal is crazy value.  I have a Biyang EQ and the quality is outstanding.  Chinese shit has come looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way!

the od pedal i have on my board is very similar. this pedal replaced all my od pedals.

I have a feeling your OD pedal was a lot more expensive though.  Can you change the chips in it as easily as changing the battery?  I like the options on your pedal too.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/earthquaker_devices_palisades_overdrive.htm

Holy shit I didn't think the price would be that much difference but there ya go!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biyang-Three-Tubescreamer-Clone-Overdrive/dp/B001U2IH6Q

Chamai

« Reply #89 on: Time Format »

wow, you guys pay a lot more over there.
can't change everything. but it's almost like having a bunch of od pedals in one.
certain amps work better on certain settings. works well for me
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up