ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Digitech tech  (Read 13227 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Digitech tech
« on: Time Format »

I would love to have heard that Richard!  I reckon it would have sounded excellent.

How did Blackmore do it live?  John lord Harmonize with him?  The only had one guitar so I doubt he could do it all live unless the Keyboards filled it out.

I aint never tried IPS33 without using the loop, you think it will track the same for me?  I play clean enough so I think my tracking would be an issue.

Why is the so called better 33B not so good?  Ruined the purchase for me if I am honest.

As for the tranny, I'd rather see if I could switch the existing ones wiring around for 220v (you know the 220-240 region).

See attached photos Richard.

I've one more gig that involves traveling this year and when that's out of the way (London this weekend) I shall try and mod it. 
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MikeB

Re: Re: Digitech tech
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I would love to have heard that Richard!  I reckon it would have sounded excellent.

It did! The best one I witnessed was when he was in a band called Debbie Does.   Picture a mid-thirties Richard and a bunch of teenagers. The other guitarist did the keyboard solo.   They were on fire that night!   :banana-rock:
I don't feel tardy!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

That sounds excellent!!!  :thumb-up:

Mid thirties Richard, jeeez that's my right now!  Mid Thirties Gerry  :lol:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Debbie Does was a great band, me in my 30s and the other guys 17/18, we were playing Mr Big and Skid row etc, stuff I hadn't played before... lots of fun.

Mike gave me the transcript from Guitar Player mag, it's one of only a few solos I ever worked out, I usually play my own interpretation.  Live (think made in japan), Blackmore just played the one line without harmonies, same for smoke on the water but he played that very differently on Made in japan, and it's what I base my solo on for that song.  I did learn the studio version later but I always seem to revert to the live version when I play it.

Well looking at the pics, I'm pretty confident you can rewire the tranny (MJMP will know better and how to do it  :thumb-up: ).  My guess is it has something to do with the numbered contacts just next to the writing, so I recon your on the money there  :whoohoo!: .

Funny how the little rubber feet are stacked up on top of the tranny to contact the top plate, mines the same, I put more of them in at one point to try to quieten the tranny hum, which is quite audible when not playing. I found the hum stops when you take the top off.  The extra rubber feet didn't help, so I'm going to try just removing them and I've put some foamy stuff around the case edges where the top screws go, don't know if it will work  :dunno: but it seems the top plate vibrates and you hear the hum.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

This is what MJMP said to me a few months back about the transformer switch

"yep it seems like you can get it to work on 230V.From what I can see you need to remove the bridge wires on 1-2 and 3-4 and place a bridge wire between 2-3."

MJMP I'll probably take some more pictures of the other side of the transformer and hopefully get you to elaborate a bit more  :thumb-up: before I do anything.

Richard, so you think the hum can be eliminated by a buffer between the lid and the tranny?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Well there is an easy check you can do, measure the resistance on the mains plug, then convert it to 220V and the resistance should be 4 times higher.
So for example if the it's 30 ohms on 110V then it should be 120 ohms on 220V.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well there is an easy check you can do, measure the resistance on the mains plug, then convert it to 220V and the resistance should be 4 times higher.

I shall do this when I make the switch, it's a good way to test without having to turn the plug on and blow it up.  I really need to see what it is I'm going to be doing first of all.  I guess I will need to un-mount the transformer and gain access to wires on the other side?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I think it's more simple than that, in the pics you posted it's a bit hard to see as that set of 4 solder points is under the wires but it should be easy like MJMP said.  Though between 2 of the points (1 & 4) there seems to be a capacitor currently  :dunno: not sure what that's for. So if you look under the wires (which block the view in the pics) there should be a connector wire between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 (for 120v) maybe it's underneath ?  So you need to remove those connector wires and wire one between 2 & 3 only for 220v. Again don't know about the cap (which is mounted from on top of the PCB between 1 & 4).  So it seems that the tranny power input coil wires are connected to those 4 points on the PCB to make it easy to change voltage for different regions.  You could also wire a switch to the 4 points so you could switch between the 2 power inputs and put a jug socket on it (IEC).

As for hum, currently we both have a bunch of rubber feet stacked on top of one another which seems to connect the tranny vibration to the lid, which doesn't help, taking the top off solves it so I think the rubber feet is a bad idea, as I said I put more rubber feet in and it didn't help at all.

So my idea is to insulate the lid from the case a bit, as in run some foam packing or whatever (door jam seal ??) i.e 1/4" strips between the lid and the case edges that the lid attaches to, then the lid screws go through that into the case edges, so the lid is buffered from the case a little bit
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Should be like R says, but if in doubt Jerry, mail me or post it here.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Ok tried to do this last night and failed.

What should I be doing with my multi meter?  And using the usual setting I use for measuring say guitar pickups resistance didn't seem to work.  I was using the left and right pinc on the US plug fitted to the IPS.  But I got no reading.  I must be doing something wrong.

I want to check the reading obviously before I mod anything.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Maybe a stupid question but before the ohm testing did you turn the switch to the on position?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

may be a stupid response!

No I didn't turn it to the on position  :facepalm:
 :facepalm:

But I will now   :thumb-up:

EDIT******************
So I put the switch into the on position and got a reading off 67ohm I think, it's the lowest setting for resistance my millimetre has.  So providing I know what I am doing with when it comes to wire switching and soldering I should get a reading of 268ohm or there about's once successfully modified right?
sorry didn't realise  :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Ah okay :thumb-up:

That should be correct, although 68 ohms is quite high.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Ah okay :thumb-up:

That should be correct, although 68 ohms is quite high.

Well as you know, I succeeded with the mod.  Got a reading of about 245 on the plug after doing soldering the new jumper wire.
Tested out the unit after I wired a new UK plug to it and hey presto!  It works.

Buy that tranny is noisey Richard.  I get a loud hum in the signal if I turn my noise gate off.  I hope this is normal!?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

We need to start a new topic for rewire IPS33 voltage (120v <> 230v), maybe Kim can work out how to split the specific posts out  :dunno: as this is useful in it's own right and we are getting a bit off topic.  I had a look and couldn't work out an easy way...

Hey RG, no, hum in the signal isn't normal, the hum I have is purely vibration from tranny into the case/lid, not in the signal at all.  As I posted earlier, when I take the top off it's quiet as a mouse...

Now I did ask before what the purpose of the capacitor between 1 & 4 is for, this may have something to do with your current issue  :dunno: .
Ok I pulled the "bottom" lid off my unit (as this is how you access it), and you need to use a T15 (6 pole star) screw driver bit to get the one front screw out  :facepalm: , I'd forgotten about that, but fortuitously I have one  :whoohoo!: .

So in mine, there is a jumper wire between 2 & 3 (soldered from on top as you look at it in your pic as the board is mounted upside down).  The cap (ic .01Z 500v) is soldered across the 2 power leads where they attach to the board (so the white and black leads at the top right hand corner of your pic, where they attach to AC INPUT).  So remove the cap (currently between 1 & 4 as now it does nothing), and, if it's the correct value (ic .01Z 500v), wire it between the white and black power input leads where they attach to the PCB (i.e. AC INPUT).  I suspect this will fix it, but then  :dunno: .

@MJMP, can you ratify (or otherwise) my thinking here please.

Herby may be interested in that, I couldn't find anything memory battery related on the PCB at all  :dunno: , maybe they wrote the presets to EPROM or similar  :dunno: (the only went from 1 to 99, not the usual 127/8).
To get at the underside of the PCB seems you have to take it out of the unit, so I didn't, but I couldn't see anything coming through to the top of the PCB from underneath that could be for a battery.

I also removed all the little rubber feet that were transferring vibration to the bottom lid, shall let you know if that helped with the hum I get.

Edit, it didn't make it worse, maybe sightly better ?  Seems the fix is remove bottom lid. Or maybe a new tranny ??
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up