ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD: Ibanez SAS36FM - Stratesque Setneck Shredder  (Read 13584 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Guys,

I am in perpetual search of a Strat-like guitar that I can really bond with. I have gone through about six guitars so far, two of them Strats, one Tele, and this is my second Ibanez attempt. Honestly, the first Ibanez I had (an 80s Roadstar II) was the best Strat I ever had....until now.

I picked up this 2005 Korean made Ibanez SAS 36 FM (SAS = model, 36 = model number, FM = Flame Maple). It's a HSS configuration, with a Push/Pull coil split for the humbucker. This is no ordinary humbucker, it's a triple coil & doesn't lose any power when you split it :thumb-up:

The pics feature the new girl and my gold top, which is also a 2005 Korean made Ibanez. I don't know what the hell they were doing in Korea in the mid 2000s, but apparently the guitar making was top notch. These two guitars are by far the best value for the money spent.

Back to the new girl: I feel like I'm playing a guitar I've had for a long time. It's very comfortable, very thin, very light. I love it. I'm considering naming her Lucy or Ruby (BTW: I resize my images to 800 pixels wide max.)

Thoughts?

PS. Magnus: I traded my RG Shredder for this, but took the Evolution out first ;)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Very nice Dante, It's good when you find a guitar that you can bond with, sounds like you might with this one  :thumb-up: Looks like a very well made guitar. My Epiphone SG is a Korean one. The worst about it was the hardware (and it had a bent fret LOL), I got it for $350 2nd hand in a hard case. I had the neck shaved, new frets, machine heads, wider bridge, came up well. While I liked the PUs they were a bit microphonic so I tried a JB bridge/Alnico neck, didn't do it for me so I put in some Gibson 57 re-issues ($300 each back then (ouch)) but sounds great. Although like all SGs that frets stop where neck joins, it falls left all the time. I was thinking about a brass tail piece and maybe thick brass control cavity cover to counter balance it LOL.

So when do we hear it ??
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Richard,

Sounds like you're describing the 'neck dive' that I have with many of my Ibanez double cutaway guitars. The headstock totally dives when I take my hand off the guitar. The brass control plate may work, but I read a forum post about a guy who put some fishing weights in the control cavity to keep the body heavier  :lol: 

I must admit, I'm pretty smitten by the new girl right now. The cleans are simply amazing, I'm just trying to find that magical heavy tone with this stock bridge pickup. I'm hoping I can use the stock bridge PU because it sounds really great when split, many of the Humbucker's I've used simply lose their power when split. This one is strong, meant to be coil-split and keep on coming.  ^-^

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Nice guitar bro!

You might wanna check out the Evolution in the bridge. Wire it for normal series operation/split inner coil when in the the bridge/middle position and use a push/pull pot for parallel....Single Coil sound with enough Level but without hum  :thumb-up:

BTW, here´s the original SAS36FM wiring diagram:

Just did some research...the TrueDuo HB is a DiMarzio Humbucker (http://dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/Tduo_to_standard.pdf)

And here´s the Series/Parallel switching I mentioned above....just transfer the DPDT-Switch layout to the push/pull
http://dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/hss5w_1v1t_splitB_DPDTdualsndB.pdf
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Wow! Thanks Man!!!!

BTW: I just went to a local pawn shop to buy a case. Got one for $15.

While there, I noticed my new guitar hanging on the wall, in flame grey instead of red. I got it for $134 out the door, with a case :amaze:

I didn't take it home yet, I felt too impulsive about it & just put it on layaway. But for that price, HOW CAN I GO WRONG?!?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I think 134$ is a real bargain.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Dante, just buy it man, at $134  :banana: , hey here a case is worth $80 - $100, that one IMHO is a no brainer  :thumb-up:
Yeah I though about some fishing sinkers or similar, funny, the SG is the only one I have an issue with (falling left...) and it didn't help the weight distribution when I put on some grovers (the schaller replacement tulips poped the back off 2 of them  :( , 1 ok put up with that got a replacement, 2 mmm I was over it). Grovers are great but a little heavier so made matters worse (in terms of fall to the left). But I thought if I got a brass control cover made say 3/16" (would need a little routing) it would do the job ?  Upside of lead things though is you could just add more until it ballanced. But then you could take that weight and make the control cover just right... (as nicer way to go, albeit more expensive).
Hey I'd definitely buy the grey one (if I were you), that's a very good price and you already know you like them  >:D

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

11 days and I'm still smitten by this axe. I will be purchasing the gray one, no worries there. I already gave them $50 to hold it for me, so I only owe $84 more and she's all mine. The gray one is missing a knob, but I found two chrome Mesa knobs in my junk drawer that are just waiting to go on that guitar.

This thing is like a showmaster with a Gibby neck. Not a thin Ibby neck, more like a Lester or Carvin neck, which I prefer anyway. It's a pretty nice guitar and feels sooooo thin. I could play this for 4 hours without a problem.

I'm surprised that I haven't changed the bridge pickup yet.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Go Dante, maybe you like the bridge PU that in there already ? LOL Good you got the other one on hold  :whoohoo!:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I am struggling trying to figure out how to translate the diagram - I have a different setup on the push/pull switch and a different 5-way switch....grrr

UPDATE: Spent too much time trying to decipher and translate the two wiring diagrams and said Phucket – went to the local music store for a push/pull volume pot and a 5-way switch. Wired it up according to the diagram and it sounds like butt. Sounds like the whole guitar is out of phase - very tinny. I'm done for today, tomorrow I may look at it again, maybe the next day. Right now, it's taken too much of my life away already.

The good news is that I have the action right where I want it now (1.5mm @ 12th fret)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Dante, can do your head in. Email the diagrams if you like and I'll help you sort it (or draw how you've got it). I may get lost a bit inside an ADA but PU wiring I'm pretty good at  :thumb-up:

So whats 1.5mm in 64"ths (the standard for action measurements LoL), (ok its 1/16" = 4/64"), so nice and low, normally 5/64" Treb 7/64 Bass for acoustic and 3/64 T, 5/64"b electric is rule of thumb starting position (from my guitar building days..). I probably run much the same as you, though I don't measure it anymore. The other big influence here (and the first thing to adjust) is the neck relief.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I had to adjust the trussrod for a couple days before I got that neck up to where I wanted it.

I still have not gone back to the wiring on that guitar, I just don't want to look at it right now. I have band camp (aka rehearsal) tomorrow and I need to study some new tunes to be ready. Screw the guitar...I'll fix it later ;)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

No worries, let me know if I can help  :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

No worries, let me know if I can help  :thumb-up:

Same here... Just lemme know...else we can facetime and sort it out :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Okay guys,

I got home from work (it's Friday night) and immediately popped a beer and picked up the aforementioned guitar. Flipping it over, I saw that a wire had come loose - the hot wire for the bridge PU, which I know was working before...it just fell off recently & had nothing to do with the tinny crap I heard before. I soldered it back on & tried the guitar - yup, still sounds out of phase.

Which got me thinking....I learned to wire up guitars on a Squire Strat I picked up for $50, I put a HSH config in that one. I had a similar problem where the whole guitar sounded very tinny and thin. The problem was the single coil PU in the middle, it was out of phase. I reversed the wires and it sounded amazing. So, with this experience under my belt, I reversed the wires on the two single coils in this guitar and the results were equally amazing - it sounds pretty frickin good. Magnus was right about that Evolution PU too. I get a bit of boost from pulling the push/pull pot (running parallel). I'm not sure if it's really louder or if it's just cutting through the mix like a spear, but I like it.

I'm going to button up the innards, put the trussrod cover back on, clean him up and play him for a few days. He sounds killer now though...I think I'll call him Killer  >:D His red cousin is a girl, her name is Ruby  :-*
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up