ADA Preamps > MP-2

Gain delay with Warm Hi Gain voicing

(1/8) > >>

Dante:
I know this was discussed on the old Depot, but I don't know if it was specifically about this voicing. When I switch to a specific patch (that is using the Warm Hi Gain voicing), there is about a 2 second delay before the patch is fully voiced. That is, the gain is lower for that initial 2 seconds, and it takes that long for the patch to 'warm up' to the actual sound, a very high gain.

It seems to be much worse now than before, and I've just been avoiding that voicing altogether. Any thoughts?

rnolan:
Hey Dente, it's a long shot but may ???? be related to another thread where he's coming from clean patch to higher gain but experiences significant vol drop, although unlike yours his (IIRC) dosn't come good and requires powers cycle to fix (and not sure if it then repeats..still working through it with him).  At MJMPs suggestion got him to try loop outs > amp to rule out the tail end of circuit, he still get the issue (would indicate that it's before the loop).  I'm thinking you "may???" have early stages of similar.  As I say long shot, but he's going to similar patches.
Is it always ? or after a while ? e.g. when you turn it on does it happen right away ? I don't recall this on the previous forum so can't add, MJMP may remember ?
Cheers R

Rawk777:
Thread resurection!

Dante, have you found a solution?

I have similar issues when I switch from "dynamic" high or vintage channels to any other hi gain or vintage channels. It seems ok to go from Ultra to Warm, but it feels like using the dynamic channel is "cooling down the tubes' or something.

I don't know about the clean channels... I don't play clean that often :).

vansinn:
I used to have the same experience when changing to Voicing 10; however, the only preset currently using V10 no longer seems to have this setup delay. Inexplicable. Magic!

I do not have the answer, but, per intuition, believe it is either the Vactrols [that controls the tube's operating conditions] starting to take a looong time to go from one setting to another, or some capacitor(s) related to those setup circuitries, that are down in value.

And the debunker: To my knowledge, Vactrols aren't typically reported as going half-dead with age, so.. we're back to the guessing game - or better, elementary electronics measurements.. ;)
And I can't use my mini lab, as all is defunct due to selling my apartment.

EDIT: While Vactrols may not go SOA (slow of age), they're often referred to have slow reaction times, and some reports indicate this is often a matter of the surrounding circuitry not properly driving the Vactrol, so, could be I'm not off on thin ice after all..
Potentially interesting read: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43011.0

Methinks it's the surrounding electronics causing problems for [some of] the Vactrols.

Dante:
Sorry, Rawk777, I don't have any breakthroughs to share. I have been using my MP-1 Classic primarily, the MP-2 is in a 2u rack with an FX unit for running straight into the board or a combo.

I think van Sinn may be onto sumting though....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version