ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA B200S Repair?  (Read 23909 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA B200S Repair?
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Lets hear what Sparker and MJMP have to add/say, but is it worth the time/effort to repair ??  Your call, I think it is but definitely feel your pain.  So what blows in an B200s when its' outputs are joined ?? In the meantime you need an amp?, I bought a Carvin TS100, coz my B200s is off the road right now, great amp plenty loud, very transparent, weighs a tonne though
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

bigpoppapump

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Update: I just got schooled on color coded resistors. And yes, the only way to properly test them is to remove one end from the board. I'll attempt to test each one tonight and start marking off bad resistors on the loading chart.

As far as the capacitors and transistors go, not sure how to test/read these yet.

bigpoppapump

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Yes. Hoping I'll hear from them.

And yes. Totally worth repairing. Mainly because I haven't seen too many of these floating around for sale. The enclosure is in fantastic cosmetic shape. Plus I want to keep all ADA gear together.

I can get away without the rig for a bit as I have some other amps to play/practice through. Orange Pix35, Fender Vibrolux reissue. Bunch of fulltone pedals/electro harmonix, TC delays.

Using the peavey valveking at rehearsals. Not the greatest but It gets by.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Totally agree, and glad your up for the fix.  When mine fried it didn't take out too many bits and so glad it's still going strong, MikeB (it's now owner) changed out the jacks recently and discovered they have to not earth with the chassis or you get an earth loop.  However, I lost one channel to a shorted speaker, not sure how much damage connecting A and B outs together causes (MJMP/Sparker? they'll come back when they can... :thumb-up: )

bigpoppapump

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

I'm just worried that I replace the transistors, resistors, and caps the look burnt up, that I plug it in and it fries again because... I missed changing out one bad diode or just.. something. I just want to be SURE I fix everything before putting back together. I'm really interested in somehow putting in a fuse.

I'll get it going one way or another.

I checked into your Carvin TS100. Found one close to home but its a chrome face model and they want about 350.00 for it. I'd rather fix what I got before dishing the money out for a new Power Amp.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

I don't think the TS100 comes any other way but chrome face plate ?  And they weigh a tonne being all tube, 350 is a good price if it's new though, I think I paid 600 AUD and that was very discounted.  Great amp though IMHO.

Send MJMP and or Sparker a PM now we know why it fried, they should have an idea of what may have blown plugging the 2 outputs together.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey
Sorry it took so long to reply but i was away for work.Can you email me some pics (close ups and some decent quality)?So i can have a look.Check the resistors (one end loose).Do you have a multimeter with a diode check on it?If so you can use this to check the transistors.But in your case i  would replace them all.It just takes one bad one to blow up the rest.

Now i use a variac to test,this way you can slowly apply more voltage to the amp,if you see the current rise to hard you can turn it off before you blow it up again.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

I have about 12 pinball machines that I've rebuild power supply boards etc.

So a bit of topic,what pinballs do you have,i also have 7?

BTW you've got mail!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Time for "The Who" tribute LOL

RobbHell

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Pinball machine that kick's ass! I still Repair and Upgrade my Laser Disc Players lol anyone remember those?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, I still have a video player (or 2) and a couple of cassette decks...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up