ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Construction & Tone  (Read 12004 times)

kawai2g4b

Re: Guitar Construction & Tone
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

DR High Beam 10s on most, 11s or 12s on my PBC Tele and drop tuned guitars.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Regardless of brand, I find higher gauge give me a better more mid-rangey 'brown' tone - more noticeably on the unwound strings.  I run 11-50's on my Strat's and Tele's.  I got a Steinberger Spirit in yesterday and I could only get a set of double ball end .09-.42's last minute.  They felt like little spiderweb strands after playing 11's for so long.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Changing string gauges wouldn't be terrible, it's a bitch on the Floyd Rose, but a cheap swap. I always found it incredibly easy to bend strings on this guitar anyway, I could afford to go a bit heavier.

Thanks for the tip...but I literally put a new set of 10-46 gauge strings on that guitar TODAY  :hair-out:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I use DR 10- 46 on "strat" scale lengths and 10 - 52 on Gibson scale lengths, I found the bottom end a bit floppy on the shorter Gibson scale so went for the 52, also better for dropped D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Regardless of brand, I find higher gauge give me a better more mid-rangey 'brown' tone - more noticeably on the unwound strings.  I run 11-50's on my Strat's and Tele's.  I got a Steinberger Spirit in yesterday and I could only get a set of double ball end .09-.42's last minute.  They felt like little spiderweb strands after playing 11's for so long.

Damn you are right about that.  I fell like I will rip them off the instrument when I do any vibrato.  My background in double bass does not help me with light gauges either.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Damn you are right about that.  I fell like I will rip them off the instrument when I do any vibrato.  My background in double bass does not help me with light gauges either.

So it looks like I literally am ripping the .09's off the Steinberger.  I have had 2 sets in a row (within 3 days) where the high E hasn't broken, but the wrapping around one of the ball ends (double ball end strings) is slipping causing the string to lengthen to the point that it is useless.  :???:

These were GHS double ball end strings.  I just ordered a set of D'Addario double ball end 10's; hopefully they will be better quality than the GHS.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Don't know if DR do a double ball end model, the lock the ball ends off better than most brands and IMHO are definitely better strings than GHS or D'Addario.  I found D'Addario start off super bright then finally settle, but the should be better than GHS.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Agreed on the DRs.  It takes me a loooong while to kill off the treble in those strings.  The Ernie Ball Cobalts are worth their hype by the way.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up