ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long do tubes last?  (Read 4634 times)

NorthShaun

How long do tubes last?
« on: Time Format »

....and how often do you change yours?

I have an MP1 which has the 3TM mod with Hi gain teslas in which are about 2 years old.  Seem to be losing some 'bite' and tone!  Will swapping out the tubes help?

Please & thankyou!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: How long do tubes last?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey NorthShaun, how often to change the tubes is a little bit bit subjective (very much depends on how used they are), well simple answer, if your hearing some degradation (bight, tone), definitely go for some new tubes.  Modern tubes don't last as long as the older tubes as their not pumped as much so not quite as good vacuum. See attachment.
If I were you, I'd chuck in either 3 high gain low noise JJs (e.g. Ruby, GT, Boogie tested) or try either the New Sensor Mullard long plates or the new short plates CV4004 (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html), sit back and enjoy....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

NorthShaun

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Cheers RNolan!

Deffo losing that 'bright tone', but it took a turn for the worse last night, so I've ordered some new hi gain JJ's!  Thought it was just my ears that were failing! :metal:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I replace the tubes in my 3TM ultra+ every 3 to 4 months.They are still good but not good enough for the 3TM IMO.So i they get a second life in my other amps.So yes swapping them out will help.

NorthShaun

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey NorthShaun, happy to help  :) The JJs should do well for you.

MJMP, how much work are they doing in the 3 to 4 months, (just trying to get a perspective on it) and do you get a better run out of NOS tubes ?  Now you mention it, I'm hearing similar in my MP2 with the Mullards, they're still very good but had a particular sparkle early on, they've been in a while now and don't work that hard.
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well i try to play 1 hour/day rehearsal on sunday (4-5 hours).Like i said they are not worn out, maybe a way over the top with this,but something is lost after a while.I always want a perfect sound (to my ears).

Now what i surely not recommend is using long plates tubes in a 3TM.Long plates are more prone to be microphonic so these are not a good combo with the high gain nature of the 3TM.Altough it might work it's always a bit risky.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »
Pages: [1]   Go Up