ADA Preamps > MP-2

Responding to vol knob roll-off, plus bluesy/jazz/crunch missing

(1/2) > >>

vansinn:
The MP-2 always has a somewhat compressed tone, which is good for a lot of things; however, I need to be able to roll-off the volume knob, and the MP-2 just doesn't respond very well to this.

I have a problem seeing how this could be changed. My hunch is that it depends on where/how the tubes has been placed on their transfer curves.
Theoretically, this could be modified, but a change that works in one voicing will likely not at all work well in other voicings, much due to the multiple control points scattered all over the preamp section.

Another missing feature is that, while it has the most lovely cleans, it lacks the ability to have a lightly distorted bluesy/ jazzy tone, and likewise can't really have a crunch, except for a Mesa'ish distorted crunch.

Ref 1: This is my most pressing problem.  Any takes?  MJMP?

Ref 2: Both (soft dist and crunch) can be resolved via an external pedal, and is therefor less urgent, though I would prefer not having to add extra gear for having these features..

rnolan:
It probably depends allot on the voicing selected.  I found rolling vol pot with voice 5 works a treat, that was with JPLP, so 59 PAF in the neck and burst bucker (not my fav PU) in bridge.

vansinn:
Yeah, it works reasonably well in Voicing 5 as in the cleans; it's the higher gain Voicings I need this on..

Been looking many a time on the schematics, but haven't yet found a holy grail.
I have the feeling it'll be achievable only by:
 upping the plate voltage
 reducing the -24 volt cathode bias
 making some yet undefined hardware changes
 changing the parameter set for the control points to match the above

MJMP?

Dante:
I have complained about that for years. However, you can get a half gain patch outta the MP-2. I can't remember which voicing I used...probably the warm vintage or brown voicing. I'll get it out of storage soon (just moved). Even still, when you have your 'half gain' patch, the MP-2 still doesn't respond great to picking attack. Almost like there's a compressor going on in the circuitry. The MP-1 Classic is much better at this than the MP-2. I can't remember how the MP-1 reacts, I only played everything loud back then :/

Nowadays (I know this is bad), I've been using my Peavey mini-head (20w, 2ch tube head) for gigs. It loves the volume knob, and I'm not used to it...but it is nice for sure.

vansinn:
To be fair [to the MP-2 developers], it's not like I'm complaining; the MP-2 was made for big hair metal, and does it just fine for that  :bow:
Yeah, I know what can be done in these two voicings, but, as you stated, 'still isn't enough, bitch' ;)

I need to keep a rig down in physical size. My MP-2 + TCR24S combo handles most I can ask, less dual-channel pre's, but even this can be handled by using on input and output on the TSR as a clean pre.
Else, I could add an MP-1 or an Engl e570/80 (with MIDI switching), but already now it's getting bigger than what fits my trailer life.. :dunno:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version