Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!

(1/9) > >>

rabidgerry:
Ok guy's I was tube rolling my studio peavey rockmaster yesterday and well during a slightly rushed tube change I pulled the tube in V1 quite early, probably just before it had actually fully went out (went out as in the glow had diminished).

Anyways, I popped a different tube in there to see what it sounded like in that combination with the remaining tubes and the dam rockmaster failed to power on.  Nothing at all, no led, no nearly coming on, nothing.  DEAD!

Any ideas?  Have I killed the Rockmaster?  Would I have blown the transformer may be?

Soloist:
I have to state the obvious first. Did you check the fuse?

Rusty:
Hiya RG,

Try this first, Check F1 first, thats your HT fuse which is a 1A Fast Blow on the schematic. I don't know why they used a fast blow in that position as those resevoir capacitors after the bridge rectifier will pull a lot of initial start up current well beyond 1A at power on.

Second, try this too, test F2 and F3, those are 1A slow blow type, F2 is for your heater filaments and F3 is for your relays. If F2 is blown then your heaters and LEDRD2 (which I suspect is your power on pilot light) won't power up. The rest of the amp circuitry may as well be running ok but with no indication at all that that F2 is blown.

Another thing, F2 and F3 (and F3 possibly) fuses are probably inside, mounted on the power section of the PCB,

There should be also by code/regulations a mains fuse prior to the power on switch and easily accessible without the need to screw the amp apart, your mains fuse. F1 is not it. I cannot see it because the schem PDF is cut a little short to the right hand side.

Let us know how you you get on checking those fuses first, (I kind of suspect that it is F1, and I don't think its your Power XFRMR) but lets not jump to conclusions, bad idea in the electronics game. Take at look at the attachment, I have marked them up in red.

Rusty.

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: Soloist on March 10, 2019, 07:57:33 AM ---I have to state the obvious first. Did you check the fuse?

--- End quote ---

Hi Soloist,

ok that was the first thing I thought off.  However there are about four fuses to check.  They all looked ok to me.  Stupid question, how do I check?  Use a millimetre and test end to end?

I did check the actual plug fuse and it wasn't that.

--- Quote from: Rusty on March 10, 2019, 08:32:45 AM ---Hiya RG,

Try this first, Check F1 first, thats your HT fuse which is a 1A Fast Blow on the schematic. I don't know why they used a fast blow in that position as those resevoir capacitors after the bridge rectifier will pull a lot of initial start up current well beyond 1A at power on.

Second, try this too, test F2 and F3, those are 1A slow blow type, F2 is for your heater filaments and F3 is for your relays. If F2 is blown then your heaters and LEDRD2 (which I suspect is your power on pilot light) won't power up. The rest of the amp circuitry may as well be running ok but with no indication at all that that F2 is blown.

Another thing, F2 and F3 (and F3 possibly) fuses are probably inside, mounted on the power section of the PCB,

There should be also by code/regulations a mains fuse prior to the power on switch and easily accessible without the need to screw the amp apart, your mains fuse. F1 is not it. I cannot see it because the schem PDF is cut a little short to the right hand side.

Let us know how you you get on checking those fuses first, (I kind of suspect that it is F1, and I don't think its your Power XFRMR) but lets not jump to conclusions, bad idea in the electronics game. Take at look at the attachment, I have marked them up in red.

Ádh mór, Rusty.

--- End quote ---

Hi Rusty hope you are well mate?  Dreading Brexit like myself then?   :facepalm: :facepalm:

You sound like you have a schematic for the Rockmaster is that correct mate?

***edit*** I just realised you posted a schematic with red marks to show me hahaha!  Hang on and I will check those fuses.

Rusty:
Thank you RG, I'm doing ok at the moment.

RG I got the peavey rockmaster 91 schematic version, I think thats the right one, if not then it should be very similar.

Dreading Brexit like myself then?   :facepalm: :facepalm:,  F-k-n right I am RG, what a pile of f-k-n shit my friend !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version