ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!  (Read 10178 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

Ok guy's I was tube rolling my studio peavey rockmaster yesterday and well during a slightly rushed tube change I pulled the tube in V1 quite early, probably just before it had actually fully went out (went out as in the glow had diminished).

Anyways, I popped a different tube in there to see what it sounded like in that combination with the remaining tubes and the dam rockmaster failed to power on.  Nothing at all, no led, no nearly coming on, nothing.  DEAD!

Any ideas?  Have I killed the Rockmaster?  Would I have blown the transformer may be?
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have to state the obvious first. Did you check the fuse?
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hiya RG,

Try this first, Check F1 first, thats your HT fuse which is a 1A Fast Blow on the schematic. I don't know why they used a fast blow in that position as those resevoir capacitors after the bridge rectifier will pull a lot of initial start up current well beyond 1A at power on.

Second, try this too, test F2 and F3, those are 1A slow blow type, F2 is for your heater filaments and F3 is for your relays. If F2 is blown then your heaters and LEDRD2 (which I suspect is your power on pilot light) won't power up. The rest of the amp circuitry may as well be running ok but with no indication at all that that F2 is blown.

Another thing, F2 and F3 (and F3 possibly) fuses are probably inside, mounted on the power section of the PCB,

There should be also by code/regulations a mains fuse prior to the power on switch and easily accessible without the need to screw the amp apart, your mains fuse. F1 is not it. I cannot see it because the schem PDF is cut a little short to the right hand side.

Let us know how you you get on checking those fuses first, (I kind of suspect that it is F1, and I don't think its your Power XFRMR) but lets not jump to conclusions, bad idea in the electronics game. Take at look at the attachment, I have marked them up in red.

Rusty.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I have to state the obvious first. Did you check the fuse?

Hi Soloist,

ok that was the first thing I thought off.  However there are about four fuses to check.  They all looked ok to me.  Stupid question, how do I check?  Use a millimetre and test end to end?

I did check the actual plug fuse and it wasn't that.

Hiya RG,

Try this first, Check F1 first, thats your HT fuse which is a 1A Fast Blow on the schematic. I don't know why they used a fast blow in that position as those resevoir capacitors after the bridge rectifier will pull a lot of initial start up current well beyond 1A at power on.

Second, try this too, test F2 and F3, those are 1A slow blow type, F2 is for your heater filaments and F3 is for your relays. If F2 is blown then your heaters and LEDRD2 (which I suspect is your power on pilot light) won't power up. The rest of the amp circuitry may as well be running ok but with no indication at all that that F2 is blown.

Another thing, F2 and F3 (and F3 possibly) fuses are probably inside, mounted on the power section of the PCB,

There should be also by code/regulations a mains fuse prior to the power on switch and easily accessible without the need to screw the amp apart, your mains fuse. F1 is not it. I cannot see it because the schem PDF is cut a little short to the right hand side.

Let us know how you you get on checking those fuses first, (I kind of suspect that it is F1, and I don't think its your Power XFRMR) but lets not jump to conclusions, bad idea in the electronics game. Take at look at the attachment, I have marked them up in red.

Ádh mór, Rusty.

Hi Rusty hope you are well mate?  Dreading Brexit like myself then?   :facepalm: :facepalm:

You sound like you have a schematic for the Rockmaster is that correct mate?

***edit*** I just realised you posted a schematic with red marks to show me hahaha!  Hang on and I will check those fuses.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thank you RG, I'm doing ok at the moment.

RG I got the peavey rockmaster 91 schematic version, I think thats the right one, if not then it should be very similar.

Dreading Brexit like myself then?   :facepalm: :facepalm:,  F-k-n right I am RG, what a pile of f-k-n shit my friend !!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Ok looked up how to test the fuses and from what I can see each fuse is working ok.  There are four in total.  One near the power cable outlet.  I removed each one and then tested with millimetre just as it does on this website.

http://www.swe-check.com.au/pages/learn_fuse_testing.php

Jeez I've really killed the rockmaster.

Rusty

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I'll get back to you later RG, I got to go pick up the missus, I found a better schem, I don't think its completely fried, with a few more tests we'll nail it ok RG,, don't worrie.

Later. Rusty.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

tried posting another schematic for you and pcb layout but it wouldn't met me.

Would I have smelt something had the unit fried?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, you need to keep the attachment under 1.5 MB or they don't work.  Dante was looking into it with our ISP to try to get it fixed.  So far the fixes applied haven't worked  :facepalm: .  Hard to think how changing one tube has fried the unit, more likely something was close to going and then did, but as Rusty said, don't jump to conclusions.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey RG

You checked all 4 fuses?

Can you send me a pic of the inside of the peavy, maybe I can give you a few testpoints to check?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Ok man I will send a few pics later.

I did check all the fuses.  I took them all out and tested.   They all give me a reading.  I take it they would not register anything if they were blown right?

Rusty

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Ok RG lets give this a try,

Normally in the electronics repair game I use the divide and conquer approach at any point, at anywhere in the circuit and continually do so throughout the process of investigation, this approach provides the fastest analysis when applied, your gonna have to slug it out here with us here so here we go.

Please see the new attachment I have posted. We shall start fron the power side first ok, then we'll move on, be very careful as we are working on live voltage.

First of all, Pull out 12ax7 V4 from the socket.

Secondly, attach your black multimeter probe to chassis ground/earth somewhere and make sure its secure, now you are only using the red probe for safety.

Test 1. Set your multimeter to the highest AC range, usually 500/600V AC on your meter depending on what make it is. (You may have Auto range function built in to your meter, but still make sure your on AC).

With the amp turned on and everything turned down to zero, test the voltage on the F1 fuse, any side will do and tell me what you read.

Test 2. Set your multimeter to the highest DC range, away up as high as it goes (or else Autorange DC), again, it should be 500/600VDC. Now measure the voltages on pin 1 of the V4 socket. (Looking at the socket from the rear side we count the pins in the normal clockwise direction otherwise from the top side where we push the valve in we count in the counter/anti clockwise direction). So tell us what DC voltage you get on pin 1.

Test 3. Set your meter to a lower DC range and tell me what you get on pins 4 and 5, (they are not drawn in on the schem, but you know the deal how to do it now) normally you should see about 12.6 V on either one of those pins with the valve pulled out.

Tell me what you get for test 1, 2 and 3.

It shouldn't take long at all, and from there I'll tell you what to do ok.

Rusty.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

IMG-20190311-192803" border="0 IMG-20190311-192819" border="0 IMG-20190311-192906" border="0

Here are some pics MJMP.

Ok Rusty I may not get the tests done tonight but definitely tomorrow.  I may get them done this evening, if I do I will post later my findings!  Thanks for the help  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I did what I think was Test 1 and Test 2

I got no reading at all. 

I found pin one using this diagram

http://guitarkitbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/12ax7-base-pinout.jpg

I can't remember which way the switch is mean to be in the on position so each measurement I did with the power switch in either position.

Rusty

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Right, Nice one, now we got pics,  :thumb-up:

Yes,

http://guitarkitbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/12ax7-base-pinout.jpg

thats looking at the valve base fron the rear side, not the side you plug in your valve. Pin 1 or 6 should be almost the same voltage give or take.

Anyways, try this instead now that we got some pics.

1, Unplug the pre-amp from the wall,
2, Take out both those two plugs that are connected to the PCB from the power transformer.
3, Set your meter to the highest AC range and pop the probes into the two red pins of the white molex connector plug.
4, plug in and power up the preamp and test for voltage there, it should be around from about 150 to about 220 VAC. tell us what you got?

NEXT

5, turn your preamp power off again at the wall.
6, Keep your multimeter on AC, now plug the black probe of your meter into the middle orange wire pin of the other white molex plug with the three orange wires, plug your RED meter probe into the outer orange pins one at a time with the mains power switched back on, tell us what you get ?

Be careful now !!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up