ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech Studio Quad V2  (Read 10836 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Digitech Studio Quad V2
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I don't know how much you want to spend but on the cheaper side you can grab a Rocktron Expression used for about $100. T.C. Electronics G-Major used for $200 or a used G Major 2 for $275. All will do what you seek.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Checked all of the out, the G-majors seem quite expensive over here used or not, and the Rocktron Expression doesn't do intelligent pitch shifting.  The Rocktron would be perfect otherwise as it's in the right price bracket etc.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Update!!

So perhaps the SX700 is good after all and I'm just not used with having a processor that alows to have effects in parallel connection.

So up until not I have been using the serial configuration of effects on the boss.  It has however a whole bunch more.  I don't really understand what these are for or how they would benefit me.  But I got thinking about Richard and his mixer idea and keeping shit all analogue.  Well then I started to realise that the Boss has a "Thru"  setting for the input.  This according to the manual is "analogue".  I had been using this prior to this thread but not to it's full potential as I was trying to run the effetcs in serial and I was getting confused with the amount of dam levels there were in the mixer section of the unit.  Then I started to look at it like Richards mixer idea.  Then I started to realise if I thought of the mixer to use the levels like so but use one of the parallell configs.  So I did and played about with it for an hour.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Got good sounds using Chorus and Reverb.  This is all I played about with so far but I'll delve in more this evening.

I think I'm getting there.  But I still need to try out other module effects and delay and see if I can get this stuff wrking as and when I want/need.  So with the "Thru" setting I am getting basically the exact same signal I get when I bypass.  This is pretty pure sounding to me, it actually sounds different to what the input signal sounds like when it is set to "direct %100".  So I checked "Thru" and bypass over and over and determined there was not one bit of difference.  So now I realised "Thru" was like a pure signal that you can blend in the effect with in parallel, but it will be better using the right configuration.

Would love someone with better understanding of effects in anything OTHER than serial connection to take a look at the SX700 manual and tell what the f++k all the other configs are about and what is the best way for me to set the effects up.  I feel I've just scratched the surface with it.

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SX-700_OM.pdf

Still open to ideas on other units BTW
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, email me the manual and I'll have a look for you.  Probably the main consideration (apart from gain structure/noise) with Fx is weather you want the next Fx to affect the previous FX e.g. generally you'd probably apply chorus followed by delay (so the delay(s) includes the chorus) followed by reverb.  So with my rig, chorus (when I use it (mostly on clean sounds)) is applied in MP2, I send that (via mixer Fx sends) to Quadverb.  I don't use the Quadverb chorus just delay and reverb.  The delay is set up to feed the reverb ins (so serial) then mixed back in with the direct sound (which in this case also has chorus if I've applied it).

Boss/Roland gear all has the "Roland" sound/colour even their 3rd octave graphics (which is probably where my aversion started as they were often in PA systems back then when the PA owner couldn't afford klarkteknik or similar decent trasparent eqs).  I find it muddy, (lacking transparency) and it's in all their stuff from amps to pedals to keyboards to mixers even drum machines (it's subtle but always there  :facepalm: ).  To their credit, they are well made etc and often well appointed for the price point. But hey each to their own, what sounds muddy to me may sound warm to someone else... And obviously people like them, they've been around for a long while now.

The next FX unit I buy will be a Lexicon, best reverb I've ever heard going back to the Lark224X.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Never found anything of their to be "muddy", I don't think Andy Summers would agree  :) Anyway, whole other arguement there I fail to see.

I'll send you the manual mate.

If a lexicon had intelligent pitch shift I'd give them ago.  The reverbs on this SX700 sound very good to me.  Generally my use is very subtle anyways.  I always have a little on in the background.  As SC said earlier

when the drummer starts to chime in, you won't hear the 13th row of overtones that gets lost

That goes for a lot of things I believe not just analogue/digital conversion.  Don't get me wrong, I'm fussy, but sometimes you just have to know when to stop setting the bar.

If think personally best reverbs I've ever heard where impulse reverbs, but that's another discussion I don't want to get into.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I've been eying off the Lexicon MPX 300, worth a look, not sure how intelligent its pitch shifter is  :dunno: but seems bloody good value.

The other discussions we can have off line.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I've already answered that Rich,

Lexicon doesn't do a intelligent pitch shift on any of the MPX units.

Value for money, f++k yeah they are indeed.  I nearly snapped one up the other day in great condition for just over £100.  The pitch shifting killed it for me.  Something I need and plan on using a lot more of in the future hence all my other threads about harmonizers.  I'm set in the studio, but for my new idea on a live rig I was needing a solution.  This may have changed now since i'm not digging the SX700 now because I realise it needs configured differently ro get the best.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Too bad the G Majors are so expensive there used. They allow 4 configurations : Serial, parallel, semi parallel and serial2. Depending on the tone you want. I use all four because they are assignable per patch.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Maybe a TC electronic G force ?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Maybe a TC electronic G force ?

Had a we look at those as well MJMP, their not dropping their price much on the second hand market.

I may be able to survive however with the SX700.  Getting to grips with the Mixer/level controls.  It's kinda awkward for me as it's not like other effects units but I'm getting their now.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Well I saw one on a second hand site here for 250 euro with a G card.

vansinn

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Why not simply get a Digitech 2120, create a send/return loop on the analog clean channel, and hook-up an ADA there..?
You'll be able to use both the 2120 tube preamp and the ADA in parallel :woohoo:
You'll have all the effects your can dream up, and if it's a 2120 Artist, you'll get fairly good speaker emulation to boot.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I read the SX700 manual and sent you email, it will do what you want (and hopefully not do your head in  :facepalm: ), it's not a unit for the faint hearted LoL, very sophisticated/appointed and very versatile.  Although it would be good if it let you define your own patch/routing algorithms for the effectors (which is what you can do with a mixer/desk), but it provides plenty of usable options.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Why not simply get a Digitech 2120, create a send/return loop on the analog clean channel, and hook-up an ADA there..?
You'll be able to use both the 2120 tube preamp and the ADA in parallel :woohoo:
You'll have all the effects your can dream up, and if it's a 2120 Artist, you'll get fairly good speaker emulation to boot.

It's 2u and that's 1u more than plane's like you to travel with in their luggage hold lol  I really would like to avoid 4cm as well.  Sounds like a good unit.

Richard, I respond to your email properly, but as you say I need to think of the SX700 as a mixer, this is what I think has been tripping me up and finally I am getting the hang of it.  More on this later.  It's a good unit btw  probably underrated because it's Boss and there seems to be some kinda stigma attached to Boss I've noticed that's pretty ridiculous  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, well I haven't heard what the fx in it sound like, but if (as you say they are good, and I trust your judgment here) then it's a very good bit of kit.  I'd like to know/understand more of their thinking with the predefined algorithms (they're not really algorithms, more patch and routing schemes).  The Boss stigma probably depends a bit on "who" and "when" you are.  Boss was Rolands cheap and cheerful (initially), this has changed over the years (not to mention back then it was called "Jap Crap").  Anyway, I was quite impressed when I read the manual, though I suspect many would find this unit way to complicated (no doubt like some of Lexicons units).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up