ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod  (Read 10387 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod
« Reply #135 on: Time Format »

Hey Herbyguitar, so to be clear that you know what 4 cable method is.. it just means connecting a stero multi effects in between the MP1 and power amp in series, ie MP 1 A/B out > Fx L/R input, Fx L/R outputs > amp L/R inputs > 2 x cabs.  So four patch cables used to connect MP1 to Fx and Fx to amp = 4 CM.

What Soloist was saying to me was, ok if you have to radically turn down your MP1 outs (because of the issues we are discussing, and not what you would normaly need to do BTW), you can compensate for the gain differences with the TC GMaj / GMaj2 (as for both he and Mike they have that Fx unit in between 4CM to amp) by making the GMaj/2 input sensitivity set to consumer rather than pro.  Consumer is more sensitive (excpects a lower level than pro gear which oprates on a higher voltage input signal). So by doing this change, the TC GMaj/2 adds gain so it can take the "radically reduced" MP1 signal and boost it for the rest of the chain.

However, while this approach works (given the oselation issues etc) it's bad gain structure.  But as an asside, Mike has been able to run his ODs' really high (inherant instability, squeals, wild feedback etc and how I learnt to play (and to the extent you can, contol) many years ago, 101 rock guitar IMHO).

But we still havn't solved the MP1 issues.. :facepalm:
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

herbyguitar

« Reply #136 on: Time Format »

Well. No more squeal. My only problem now is hiss (white noise). It's pretty substantial. It increases with volume and gain. With these mods I was expecting it to be quieter but it's not. There's more hiss now than there was before the mods, but all other noise and hum are gone. I have all new tubes. What will cause this 'hiss' and how do I get it down to an acceptable level?
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #137 on: Time Format »

Hey Herby, well hiss can be caused by lots of things, given all the mods you've done it's unlikely to be the MP1  :dunno: but hard to say for sure.. You play a strat ?, with single coil PUs ?? they pick up allot of noise eg from fluorescent lights, even your wifi (if it's on and in range), and power can also be an issue..  When you go high gain it also boosts the noise.  But it may be as simple as your guitar output jack or a lead(s).  Go back to really simple eg Guitar > MP1 > poweramp > cabs, get that sorted so the hiss isn't an issue and then bring in Fx etc if all is good.
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #138 on: Time Format »

Hey Herbie, like Richard was saying the hiss could be from alot of different stuff. Are you using a power conditioner?  It could be something as simple as a poorly shielded instrument cable or patch cable.

Could also be an issue with the 50/50. Mine was introducing a constant crackle, had it gone thru, replaced a few resistors and it's like new. :whoohoo!:

Usually the pickups are the culprit. Some are just noisey some are just that sensative. Pick up a used noise gate for cheap. I use one after guitar before any thing else just for noisey/sensative pick ups. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Preamps -ADA MP1-ADA MP2-Marshall JMP1-Digitech GSP1101
Post Effects -TC Electronic G Major2-TC Electronics G Force-BBE 482i
Pre Effects -Boss NS 2-Boss GE 7-Radial Engineering Hot British-Ibanez TS9-MXR M108-Boss SD1
Mixing/Switching -Alesis Multimix8-Voodoo Lab GCP-Voodoo Lab Amp Selector- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2
Power - ADA MT200-Mesa 50/50-Voodoo Lab ISO5 Pedal Power-Furman RP8-Livewire PC1100
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
Cabs -4 2x12 ADA Split Stacks

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #139 on: Time Format »

Did you measure this noise with the guitar plugged in?

herbyguitar

« Reply #140 on: Time Format »

I'm running simple. MP1 to amp. All chords are good and top quality. Guitar is good with no problems. Have 2 other amp setups to compare with. Have several other guitars to compare with. Some are SC, some have HBs. With signal I get a loud hiss. Without signal I get a midrange hum.
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #141 on: Time Format »

Have you tried just MP1 on its own with headphones from the MP1s headphone out ? Every thing else turned off.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #142 on: Time Format »

To measure the noise generated by the MP-1 itself you need to unplug the input.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up