ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey TubeFEX  (Read 7451 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Peavey TubeFEX
« on: Time Format »

Since we got off topic about my Behringer preamp that I picked up for emergency purposes, I thought i'd start a new thread about this unit. I also have the proprietary foot controller, which is connected with an 8 pin midi cable for phantom power. You can use a 5-pin, but you'll have to power the pedal board with a wall wart, just like the ADA footswitches.

I just went through the presets in this thing and now realize two things:
  • The harmonizer was a new effect when this came out, and was used a bit too much
  • My memory serves me well = this thing is a beast, and a damn good standalone unit (preamp and effects)

The skinny: This unit has two tubes, much like the ADA units. It has four knobs for controlling your tone on the fly (very cool). It has a cache card, that I have not explored yet, but I'm told it is handy. I haven't figured out how to save/move patches around yet, but that's next on my list. Right now, I'm just enjoying diddling the knobs on patches as I scroll through.

The footswitch is gigantic, and sturdy. Built like a tank, and heavy. If it were a couple inches narrower, it'd fit into a rack (but it's about 2 rack units tall).

Here's a pic of the unit, paired only with an ADA MicroFET amp. Pay no attention to the 4u rack on the floor, that's my main rig (with the Behringer) until I get my ADA preamps fixed. I have not been happy with the MicroFET, but it appears to be good enough for the Peavey. I've also attached the manual, to explain what this thing does
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Peavey TubeFEX
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

So I got my unit and played about with it for 30-40mins.  It's not for me.  As awesome as I think it sounded, it was the feel of the unit that I don't like.  It felt alien to me.  So something I have been chasing for a while I am now going to sell on.  Crazy how I didn't like it.  Guess I'm sticking with my Peavey Rockmasters/MP1s over this unit.

The FX were great, and the tube tone, but I felt there was no attack, much like when a compressor is used and you soften the attack on it.  Not for me.  Selling on guys.  I feel this unit if for another type of player, but not me.  I could hang onto it for studio, but I have a good setup that feels and sounds excellent to my ears so I shall stick with all my other gear.  When I got this I was expecting a Rockmaster with FX.  I didn't get that really.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I can relate to that, it does feel a bit strange, but it sounds great. I'll get used to the feel, but it's only temporary anyway. Honestly, the Behringer is doing a great job for now.

This Peavey though, it's a different animal, much like (but nothing like) the MP2. Very complicated, way more features than buttons to access them. I started reading the manual, it opened a lot of new doors, and has also caused some newfound confusion. I'm only partway through it, and I have all day to play with it. I'm not going outside.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Okay, i have this dialed in now...it only took 4 hours -lol-

You basically have a 4-voice unit here: Clean | Crunch | Lead | Ultra
Clean = ADA Solid State clean
Crunch = ADA Brown sound (sort of)
Lead = ADA MP-2 high gain settings (sort of )
Ultra = the noisy voices in the MP-2 (ultra high gain etc.)

The usual array of guitar effects; Compressor, Distortion, Overdrive, Chorus, Delay, Hum Filter, Pitch Shift (1&2-?), Reverb, 5-band EQ, 3-band EQ with sweeping Mid, 4-band parametric EQ, Classic EQ, Auto pan, Envelope filter, Coil tap -?, Exciter, Speaker Sim, Stereo Sim, Noise Gate and something called a 'splitter' whatever that is.

You can have up to 9 effects in a string....NINE. wow... The factory presets have harmonizer on top of harmonizer, which confuses the sh** outta me right there. I use a path like this;  Amp voicing / Noise reduction / EQ / Chorus&Modulation FX / Reverb / Delay. That's six...so I guess I can see the idea of having nine...just in case. I suppose I could double up delays/reverbs etc...but I like my stuff clear.... I like to hear the notes. I also like to taste my food, not cover it with sauce.

I have a bank set up with: clean | clean wet | clean solo | classic crunch | modern crunch | metal | dirty solo | dirty solo w/big delay. That leaves me two patches for special song-specific effects. It'll work for a gig as it is, I'm covered until my ADAs are fixed.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Sounds good... reminds me a tad bit of the Digitech 2101/2112/2120 units. These also have 2 12AX7 and a wide (and soundwise top-notch) array of FX.
They pop up quite often here in JPN (2120) for as little as 100$

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Go Dante, glad it's working out for you  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I know the Peavey TubeFEX  is a great bit of kit, but I can't see me falling in love with it, sometimes you just know these things.  The feel thing is too weird for me.  No pick attack?  It allows you to play really lightly and that is something I find hard to do, particularly live.  I'd worry that if I got too use to that feel, I'd be f*cked if I went back to my other gear, so that's something I don't want and therefore I'm selling it.

Dante, are you sure it's a "Harmonizer"?  And not just a pitch shifter?  I interpret a harmonizer to have a small amount of intelligence if you get me?  I too saw those presets and found them confusing as well.  I was able to figure out the controls within the short time of playing it.  The noise gate settings I did not get involved with as there was way too many for a guitar noise gate for my liking.  The attack parameter blew my mind a bit.  I actually wondered if it was this noise gate giving it the weird feel.  But when I was playing with solely the tube preamp section, no FX at all, it still felt weird.  Amazing unit still, the FX loop stereo and moveable in the chain is genius and something all FX units need.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I call them harmonizers, but yeah, it's two pitch shifters. Weirdest thing I've dealt with.... as I'm scrolling through the presets, my guitar is suddenly tuned down a few steps. That's cool, and not cool all at once. Other times, there are major scale or minor scale harmonizers ringing out. I shut them off until I get the gist of it.

Re: Picking attack
Lack of picking dynamics is the one complaint I have about the MP2, so this unit is not all that different in that respect. The MP-1 Classic handles that really well and is the main reason I use that unit as my primary one. I rely on patches to 'clean up' my tone more than on how hard I pick the strings, and I almost never touch the volume knob for that. I have my 'classic rock' patch as kinda an overdriven clean...or a half gain type tone. Surprisingly, if I bang hard on the strings, it has more gain. If I pick normally, I get my half gain effect that I can easily achieve by picking softer on the Classic. Works great for that 'vintage tube amp' overdrive sound.

I get it Gerry, if it doesn't feel right, you don't play with that same confidence. If my sound is really on, and the feel is there, I play beyond my abilities ;)

Although I have the Peavey all hooked up and a bank of patches written, I haven't yet run it through the gauntlet of songs. That comes today, and that is where I decide whether I want to use the Behringer or the Peavey until my ADAs are back in working order. Regardless of which I choose, I'm bringing both with me until I'm confident I can trust them.

BTW: I have since rearranged the racks, so that I can carry both rigs with just a 4u and a 2u, instead of two 4u racks with wasted space. The Peavey is too deep for the 2u rack I have, so it has to go in the 4u. Otherwise, I'd just have the Peavey and a power amp in the 2u rack and call it good. Well, that didn't work out, so here's how I have them split up now:

4u: Peavey TubeFEX / Behringer V-amp Pro / Boss GX-700
2u: ADA MicroTube 200 / ADA MicroFET 100

So, I have two working preamp/effects units in the 4u, and two working power amps in the 2u, I just play one and have the other for a backup. Of course, I'll probably also have the ol' Crate Powerblock with me too. It saved my ass last time.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Well at least that gives me confirmation that I am not imagining this.  So thank you for that Dante.

On another note, I am kinda gutted that this unit will not be staying with me.  Sure I can run another pre into it.....................................but that defeats the purpose of having an "all in one" which I was hoping would be a god send to me when I have to start getting on planes next year for gigs!  The fx quality in my opinions is outstanding.  I almost feel bad that it took 40minutes at this thing to decide. :dunno: :crazy:

Funny you mention about the picking attack thing in regards to cleaning up and driving harder and also mention never touching the volume knob.  I two never touch the volume knob and if I need clean I will switch to a clean patch or program some kind of gain change blah blah.  So my issue with picking attack is purely feel.  It feels like your have to do nothing with you hand to get this thing to make a sound hahaha  It will f*ck my whole world up if I got to used with it so I hope to sell this to someone who will really get into it.

I'm glad your is working out for you Dante, Tubefex is a powerful unit.  I honestly recommend that batteryless mod though.  Best get that battery out of there before it starts to leak (unless yours is modded already).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I'm glad your is working out for you Dante, Tubefex is a powerful unit.  I honestly recommend that batteryless mod though.  Best get that battery out of there before it starts to leak (unless yours is modded already).
This is just a bandaid rig, not the best, but it'll be good enough for who it's for (drunk people screaming FREEBIRD)

BTW: Battery mod was already done to mine  :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I know it's been a while, but I have had some time to really play with this thing a bit more and though I ought to chime in

I put the GX-700 in the rack because I could not figure out how to use my Quad switch to turn individual FX on/off in the Peavey. This Peavey Transtube ProFEX is badass. It sounds really good. I just tried it at practice with the boys at full volume and it really delivered. My Crunch rhythm cut through the mix and my Mod Rock patch sounded beastly. The Metal patch needs a bit of work, still a bit too clean for my tastes, but the bottom end is there and it's tighter than the MP-2 to my ears.

The Classic crunch patch cleans up nicely when I pick softer (not as good as the MP-1 Classic, but better than the MP-2). The cleans are better than my Behringer V-Amp (and that's solid state!)

There is one very weird thing about this unit, and I now remember how it drove me batty when I had one years ago. The patches don't switch when you push down on the pedal, they change when you LET UP on the button. That took some getting used to.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well that kind of makes sense, you press the button ready for the change, then just let go when you want it without having to look down again, handy if you are singing.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

There is one very weird thing about this unit, and I now remember how it drove me batty when I had one years ago. The patches don't switch when you push down on the pedal, they change when you LET UP on the button. That took some getting used to.

Ha that's strange  8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Well that kind of makes sense, you press the button ready for the change, then just let go when you want it without having to look down again, handy if you are singing.

If I had the forethought to do that ahead of time, yes it would be handy. Unfortunately, I usually forget about changing at all until it's nearly too late. Ahhhh!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up