ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAD 90s Carvin Tube 100  (Read 9974 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: NAD 90s Carvin Tube 100
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Okay,
   the 2:90 is basically two 6L6 power amps side by side, correct?
Yeah, it's 2 MkIV power sections running in SimulClass continuously. You can swap the Class A pair of 6L6 on each side for a pair (quad since you gotta do both sides) of EL34s.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Oh, I get it now. You don't have a choice between class AB and class A like you do in the 2:95.
    I'd have to audition a 2:95 to hear the difference. They might get one in at the local music shop down the street from me. I'll bring a preamp when they do and check it out.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Thanks for that quick reply...I´ll give it a go once I've checked how it sounds with the EL34. Re-checking the schematic I couldn't find an Input 12AX7, just 2 PIs, correct?!

Looks that way but I think this is not the complete schematic. But it could be like this just 2 PI.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

In the newer TS100s (like I have) they have both buffer 12AX7s and Phase Inverters (PIs), also a switch to change the circuit (in whatever way is required  :dunno: ) for each channel to go from EL34s to 6L6s and also biasing instructions (have a quick look at the manual), so if you get to modifying it, it would (no doubt) be a good reference as it's obviously a later revision of the one you have.  The TS100 is a great amp, works really well with the MP-2 and split cabs, it's just a brick  :facepalm: , but then no where near as heavy as some of the older tube amps. Compared to a B200s, it's super clean and transparent (as is the B200s) I found it adds a tiny bit of tube warmth to the sound and heaps of good tube grunt  >:D .  I don't use the presence knobs at all, I have all the presence I want/need in the MP2 and also the MP2 room eq sorts out the rest for various stages (dead through live reflections). For those who want to chase power tube distortion (which I don't), you could change the PIs to 12 AT7s. I bought the TS100 because my B200s was farting and I needed an amp, I still prefer the B200s (and being a tube nerd  :facepalm: ...).  In my current live rig I have the Carvin DCM200L, one RU, super lite, and also a great option.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Necrobump on this old thread....and thought I'd kick it off almost where I left before I went on a hiatus.
Long story short - life in combination with all them worldwide sh!t sandwiches going on currently had me pretty busy job wise so I had to put hobbies etc on back burner in favour of family and work.
Finally early this (2022) summer I found the time to unpack some more stuff (that was still all in storage after we relocated back from Japan to Germany) and get to it....

So I got this old Carvin Tube100 power amp for dirt cheap in 2017...and finally did a complete one-over. All new resistors/caps/sockets etc....also added a choke. And this thing really smokes now. Dead quiet noise wise an glorious tube sound.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I've never been a big fan of EL34 and this again proved it true. Biased properly with 6CA7 though I get the (almost) best of both 6L6 and EL34 worlds....
Pics for your viewing pleasure:

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Het There SC,

Welcome home, and welcome back to the Depot. It's good to see you again.

Pretty neat trick, I didn't know those amps could take 6CA7's

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Welcome back my friend! So good to see you, thanks for checking in

Don't be a stranger

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, nice  :thumb-up: , those JJs look sweet. So as far as I remember, 6CA7s are much the same as EL34s, and what I used to put in my '73 Marshall 50. 

quote (The differences are nearly negligible. The 6CA7 was a North American built version of the Euro EL34.... If you find an original Sylvania 6CA7 you will find that it is built more like an American "Beam Tetrode" (like 6V6, 6L6) as opposed to a pure Pentode (EL84, EL34).

But then as we all know, even tubes of the same designation (e.g. 12AX7s) all sound different.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up