ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA "SPLIT STACKS" ??  (Read 16310 times)

RandallRG

ADA "SPLIT STACKS" ??
« on: Time Format »

For anyone out there who has ever owned these or had the chance to use your MP-1 with them I was wondering what your thoughts were about them? The Good/Bad? If I remember correctly they are equipped with 50 watt Celestions & they were designed especially to use with the MP-1 or ? Either way I just wanted to get some reviews as I may be able to get a chance to pick up a set ...Thanks!  :headbanger:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: ADA "SPLIT STACKS" ??
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Using them as a full stack on my backline, I can say beyond any doubt that they are a great set of cabs. At 45 lbs, they are easy to carry, and I can fit a full stack with my guitars, stands, and pedal board into a 1999 Dodge Stratus. Try that with your Marshall stack.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I have a pair that I use for testing the ADA gear I fix and they don't sound that bad at all. They just lack a bit of low end IMHO.

RandallRG

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Cool & Thanks for the info! I had been wanting a pair for awhile & it's been a pain trying to find some. I know there getting on the "Rare" side but I just have not seen to much of them lately. So I heard about a pair & the price is very reasonable so I think I will scoop em up. Besides to have that 80's M-E-T-A-L set-up will be pretty cool! Thanks again Dudes I appreciate it!  :headbanger:

Samuraipanda

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I have 3 of them and love them for the same reasons Harley mentioned. My studio is in the basement and lugging 4x12's up the 15 steps just to play bar gigs blows. lol

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I have 4 of them, they sound great. My only complaint would echo MJMP, they do lack some bass.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

RandallRG

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yeah I just picked them up & honestly I can't believe the condition that there in! Of course like all of the old school stuff there built like Tanks & after I clean them up a bit I will get to hear what they sound like...They are very cool considering the size & weight over a full 4x12..You can pick them up & move em around with ease... :headbanger:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Are these the regular ones or the vintage? (has a switch on the back)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, good to have you back  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: . So obviously the password reset worked  :metal: .
I have 3 slant split stacks.  The first 2 were made here in Australia under license and I had them loaded with 90w 8 ohm Mesa Celestians. Used them for many years, great cabs and still going strong..
I bought a single slant SS from a pawn shop which was imported (slightly different back plate) and it's loaded with 75w 16 ohm Celestians.  I've wired that cab to be either stereo (2 x 16 ohm) or mono (8 ohm) depending what jacks I plug into it.  I've used it for a long time now as it very convenient just having one 2 x 12 cab.  MikeB uses that cab when we rehears at my house.  It also sounds great but I do get a little bit of flanging when running it stereo (which is typically how I use it).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RandallRG

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey buddy how's it going? Long time no talk (LOL) Hope all is well? The set I got must be the "Regular" ones...there's no switch on the back. What's the difference between them again? They are equipped with Celestion G12S-50 Watt Speakers... :headbanger:

RandallRG

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

RICH! Hey mate how are you doing? YES & Thanks for "re-setting" my password...it obviously worked. How have you been? Hope all is well with you & yours. Well yeah man it's been awhile since I have been on but I still think that the MP-1 is K-I-N-G! (LOL) Being a Metal Head the unit really is a sweet piece. So yeah I just picked up a set of these "Split Stacks" so I will see how they sound here soon. Thanks again for getting me backon the forum & talk with you soon... :headbanger: 

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey RandallRG, even though they lack on the low end I use the parametric eq in my G major2 to add in more bass without the split stacks flubbing out. They kick ass for the 80's type metal I play. :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey buddy how's it going? Long time no talk (LOL) Hope all is well? The set I got must be the "Regular" ones...there's no switch on the back. What's the difference between them again? They are equipped with Celestion G12S-50 Watt Speakers... :headbanger:

Fine thanks, glad to have you back again !!!
They use the same same speakers only with the vintage ones there is a switch that switches in a filter which filters out the high's a bit. You can ad this if you want.I did it to one of mine. Still need to do the second one.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, they are a perfect match up with the MP-1, and, as Soloist says, if you need a bit more bottom end just wind up the bass a bit.  Actually (IIRC) there's a mod to change the centre frequency of the MP-1 bass eq making it a bit lower and more usable.  But you also have some other eq in your rig don't you ??  One tip, place the cabs apart at least the width of one cab (I usually go a rack width) to break the infinite baffle.  But also try them next to one another (this should have more bottom end as the "baffle effect" couples the 2 cabs (so they act like 1 cab.. ie a quad box)).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RandallRG

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the info Rich....I appreciate it! I have my Randall RG100ES Full Stack & I was going to put 1 Split Stack on one end of the room & the other on the other side to "split" up the room completely to see how it would sound being that far apart especially for the Chorus. Good idea or ? Also (for me to be on the "safe" side) what is the correct way that I should hook them? Thanks Buddy!  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up