ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone ever tried this?  (Read 6887 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Anyone ever tried this?
« on: Time Format »

So last night we went out to check out this other band. The guitarist was running into an A/B box, A went to a Carl Martin Plexi tone and B went into a Marshall Gov'Ner directly into a Marshall dual mono block. The tone was amazing!!  :headbanger: I couldn't believe my ears, this guy had tone for days.  :metal: Using those pedals like preamps. Anyone ever tried this type of setup? I might have to give it a go just for shits and giggles to see what I can come up with.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Anyone ever tried this?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I had a Gov'Ner pedal a long time ago, when they first came out. I didn't care for it. It made any amp you plugged it into sound like a JCM800. That's all it does. I got rid of it after a month.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Soloist

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Good to know Harley. I don't think I would use the Gov'Ner. I was thinking of using a Tonebone Plexitube or Trimode and nix the Pirhana.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist,

There are a lot of different types of overdrives/distortion, and fuzz pedals out there. So many in fact that you couldn't go through all of them in a month if you used a different one every time you plugged in. Basically, all of them, no matter which you choose, is a preamp in it's basic form. So any of them will work as far as driving a power amp. You could even take the new ADA APP-1 and do that or the MP-1 Channel, or both. It all depends on what kind of tone you are after.
  Have you checked out any of the Wampler pedals, or the Earthquaker Devices? They have a huge selection of all kinds of these types of pedals that can go from very subtle to over-the-top modern.

Harley 8)

Soloist

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey there Harley,
 I have not tried any of the earthquakers yet... I did have a a wampler plexitortion awhile back, maybe 3 years ago very decent sounding pedal. I wonder what the hell I did with it? (Probably still sitting in a box from the move. :dunno:)
My thinking on trying the plexitube is that it's tube driven, and you have alot of control over the voicings in it. I might have to research this a little deeper. Thanks for your input! :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey there Soloist,

Keep in mind that what sounds good on paper may not work out as well in application. (Remember the Chandler Tube Driver by B.K. Butler?)

I've tried a lot of the Earthquakers since they are made here in town, and some of my favorites are Palisades, Talons, Monarch, and Speaker Cranker. The first three are very versatile with a wide range of tone options, the Speaker Cranker is a boost that gives me what I have with more "Air."
   Wampler has some interesting ones in the Pinnacle Deluxe, Plexi Tube Deluxe, and the Tumnus. All of these have a great range of tones too.
   The newer technology may be a lot better with the Plexitube you are referring to. I remember the Chandler Tube Driver had a very wooly tone when you tried to get the sustain that you'd expect from the overdrive. I've tried all of the above pedals either through my old Fender Vibrolux or Twin Reverb, on a clean setting. I never tried any directly through a power amp, or through any of my ADA rigs. (I don't see the point since I get all my overdrives and distortions from the ADA preamps anyway).

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

If you were going to go the stomp box way, the ADA APP-1 with the MP-1ch in its loop makes allot of sense IMHO  :dunno:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

It all depends on the kind of tone he is looking for. The band he went and saw had a Marshall Guv'Nor pedal into a Monoblock poweramp, which tells me he had that JCM 800 tone going there on the "B" side of his A/B switcher.
   I doubt if Soloist is looking for that same tone, as much as he is curious about what kind of tone he'll get by plugging a stomp into the front of a power amp. The suggestions I threw out there are more or less possible candidates that I believe might actually sound good like that.
   The APP-1/MP-1Ch would undoubtedly sound good in that application since that would be the core of a good fly-rig. ;D

Samuraipanda

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I got one of these in a CL package deal and it sounds great as a preamp directly into my Mesa 295. Good range of gain and nice tones too. I'm not using it so I'd be willing to sell it if you were interested.

https://carlmartin.com/hot-driven-boost

« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I don't know if anyone has tried the App1/MP1ch combo but it has interesting possibilities, as you say great for a fly rig  :thumb-up: . The AD/A seller in Oz is in Melbourne (8 hours drive  :facepalm: ), though I keep telling my daughter I'll take her there sometime (I know what I'll be checking out  >:D )... Another thought would be to A/B A+B them and take their mono outs into a decent Fx (L/R) > amp > cabs (so many ways ...)  I like the idea that the App1 and MP1ch are new.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Richard,

For the price, those two units better make one HELL of a good fly-rig! There are so many others out there that are affordable for that purpose. Still, in keeping this subject related to the topic, It would seem kind of strange to go to a gig, and ask the sound man;
"Hey! Would you happen to have a spare power amp I could plug into?!?"
   On the other hand, that isn't such a practical approach. Myself, I'd probably want to try it out through a B200S and a pair of Split Stack cabs just to see how that sounds. Still not really a practical rig to consider, but I'd bet it would sound pretty decent.

Harley 8)

Soloist

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Ok gentlemen,
after alot of testing and trial and error I came up with a great tone. I removed the Pirhana from the equation. ( getting old and a bit too noisey)

I am running a Radial Hot British tube distortion as a preamp into a gsp1101, 4 cable method using the hot brit as my only preamp and none of the crappy amp sims but utilizing the effects from the gsp and some of the cab sims. Great modded super plexi tone! :metal:

So all my live tones are now coming from that and my MP2. MP1 is a back up for the MP2 and the JMP is a back up for the hot brit.

There were other pedals which sounded good but with my rig, to me the hot brit sounded the best.  :whoohoo!:
No hiss, no noise gate needed even if I crank the gain all the way. Note clarity is stellar even at blazing speeds. Some other pedals would lose alot of clarity on high speed runs.
The hot brit sounded great directly into my MT200 as well.

I thought about the MP channel and APP 1 but I got this up and going for under $100. Now I can stash the cash I saved for my Les Paul fund! :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey there Soloist,

Are you using an A/B switch between them?

Soloist

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley,
I am actually using a voodoo labs 4 channel amp selector. It's like an A/B/C/D switch. I can use 1,2,3 or 4 at once. Sometimes I do 2 at once but only occasionally, never more than that. So each pre has its own selector switch.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Go Soloist  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .

Hey Harley, yeah me too, and I recon it would sound very good. Part of me contemplates running that App1/ch1 combo into my Marshall (and I now have a direct to poweramp input  >:D like MJMP uses), or I could run it/them into my mixer > B200s > cabs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up