ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Gig with ADA MP1 and Lexicon G2  (Read 4815 times)

gb

Hey guys

Thanks again for the help regarding understanding the R1 and MIDI etc. Well now im a pro at configuring it (ok not pro but pretty familiar with the basics).

So I used the ADA MP1, Lexicon G2/R1 and VHT 2502 at a gig for the first time a few weeks back and WOW! sounded so good.. but a bit of history first

Ive used the ADA MP1 at gigs before but would feedback like theres no tomorrow. I was using the factory preset 30 which is OD1 7.5, OD2 7.5, Master 5.0 and the EQ 2, 0 , -6 and at loud volumes band/stage volumes i would feedback terribly when not playing. It was horrible. I ended up scoping the mids which actually helped with the feedback but of course wasnt cutting through the mix and needed to increase volume. Vicious cycle. If i was miles away from the amp or different room (say recording studio) it would be fine.. but for live just not workable.

Now the reason i was using this preset was it sounded sooo good at home volumes and wanted to replicate this at loud volumes. Anyway long story short, i had a fill in gig coming up and i ended up just using the factory preset 1 .. which is 5.0,5.0,5.0 and eq with more mids and treble. At low volumes this was extremely uninspiring and bland, so i risked it and went with this live onstage for the first time.. wow at loud volumes it sounds completely different and it roared and just sounded really good, not overly hairy crunchy just straight up crunch.

Its amazing how it sounds really crappy at low volumes but once it opens up at really loud volumes the combination just worked and sounds sooo good and rich. just amazing.

The way i set up the R1 worked out really well also..

the patches i set on the R1  for this gig were as follows. I used suggestions to use the banks for different bands i may play as the presets would be different.

1.OD - MP1 Factory 1 preset + G2 Chorus, Comp, Reverb
2.OD+ (boosted signal essentially and little more mids from the ADA mp1.. solos etc.) MP1 Factory 1 preset + G2 Chorus, Comp, Reverb and Delay already engage
3. Clean  - MP1 Clean preset (Clean voicing) + G2 Chorus, Reverb.
4. Acoustifier preset on the G2 which bypasses the ADA mp1 and just uses internal clean straight to the power amp .. sounds sooo good and like a real acoustic from the electric .. and no added affects

Within all these presets i can enable or disable effects on the fly using the R2.

So my question might be this.. I really like the more hairy sound the factory preset 30 (and 60 is the same i think). Im guessing there is no way i can use this at loud volumes onstage without feedback. ?

Either or thought id share my experience and my new love for the stock MP1 again! Poweramp makes a big difference!! and not to judge a preamp at its low volumes!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: First Gig with ADA MP1 and Lexicon G2
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey gb, cool  :thumb-up: you can be our R1 eggspurt  :whoohoo!: .  Well you've tripped over a fundamental for patch tailoring with MP-1/2, you need to run sounds up at stage volume, then turn them down (if required). When I used a MP-1 I based the majority of my sounds on patch 1 which I then tweaked (it was the sound that sold me on the unit).  But the other patches (eg 30) should be ok as long as you get the gain structure right.
So if I understand correctly, you plug your guitar into the R1 and run the MP-1 like a stomp box in its loop ? If so, I suggest this is where the problem is.  Better gain structure to use the MP-1 as the centre of everything (guit > MP-1 > R1 > poweramp) and use the R1 just to add Fx to it. This is how they are intended to be used. Use the MP1 to make all the guitar tones (including chorus) and the R1 just to do delay/reverb. When you crank that combination up, I suspect your feedback issues with higher gain patches will go away.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gb

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey mate.. regarding patch30 issues at loud volumes.. forget the g2 its not in the loop at all when trying it. i was only guitar into mp1 and into power amp. It would seem i cant use any gain higher than 5.0 on od1 od2 and  master at the volumes i need without it screaming like buggery.

Perhaps im expecting too much.. perhaps patch 30 at stage volumes is no good if im standing in front of amp on a small stage.. if i was at a greater distance its fine.

All good. Im gunna hit the hay.. too much INXS practice tnight lol its put me to sleep

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Mmm, then this is a different issue. Could be tubes ? and/or OD trim pot settings.  None of the factory sounds should be a problem at high volume.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

A good gate can help with feedback.

gb

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

A good gate can help with feedback.

The gate in the G2 and my decimator are good but it gets to the point that notes dont ring out or they eventually get drowned by feedback as the note starts to fade out.

Ill just accept the fact i can only run 5.0 5.0 5.0 for gain and master.

Or maybe is it because when you increase od1 od2 overall volume increases so i need to reduce master volume down to 4.0 to be of equal vol to 5.0 5.0 5.0..

Ie od1 od2 master 7.5. 7.5 4.0

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

You need to set the master for your loudest patch (so your happy) and reference the other patches to that.  It takes a while to get the master right for all your patches.  There's a pretty good explanation in the manual.  And yes, as you said, turning up od1 & 2 increase the volume so you need to balance the master with them  :thumb-up:

gb

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

You need to set the master for your loudest patch (so your happy) and reference the other patches to that.  It takes a while to get the master right for all your patches.  There's a pretty good explanation in the manual.  And yes, as you said, turning up od1 & 2 increase the volume so you need to balance the master with them  :thumb-up:

Thanks mate. Startinf to make sense. I guess i assumed the factory patches would work at loud volumes. .but all good. Time to keep tweaking
Pages: [1]   Go Up