Miscellaneous > Gigs - Live Talk

Getting your Sound

<< < (2/7) > >>

Kim:

--- Quote from: rabidgerry on February 26, 2017, 10:38:23 AM ---So you set your tone with hearing protection on then?

--- End quote ---

I initially did but now I don't.  But since my speakers are already placed up near my ear level, I don't need that much volume.  They are also lower-wattage rated speakers than the ones usually found in 4x12 cabs and only two of them per cab anyway so they're being worked without having to push them too hard.  And I actually stand slightly off axis of the speakers anyway, so any frequency that seems piercing or fatiguing at that point already got turned down.

Which brings another point.  If your cabs are down on the floor, move your ears to the back of your knees.  lol 

Again, all too easy to dial in a bad piercing tone when you aren't down there where the sound is actually coming from. Just moving my cabs up where they are now did wonders for my sound because I'm actually hearing it so much better than when they were down on the floor.  All my settings and overall volumes needed to be reset....and for the better. :thumb-up:
In one of my past bands, the other guitarist would always crank his half-stack with some real shit distortion pedal in the front way more than what was ever needed for our band..... and then he'd stand right directly in front of it.  Well, he couldn't hear anything else but his own playing and the back of his knees were certainly deaf.  :lol:  Did I mention it sounded like ass?

If you love it loud, if you need it loud, then be loud.  I understand DJC (and many others) plays very loud, but he's also experienced enough to know how to dial his tone in that kind of environment.  Anyone else fairly new to this just needs to make sure they're aware of what's actually going on with their settings.

--- Quote from: Iperfungus on February 26, 2017, 03:36:56 PM ---The more mids you give, the less gain you need!  :thumb-up:

--- End quote ---

More correctly: "The more mids you give, the less overall Volume you need."  I think that's what you really meant to say, right? So just clarifying this.  :) 

Iperfungus:

--- Quote from: Kim on February 26, 2017, 04:41:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Iperfungus on February 26, 2017, 03:36:56 PM ---The more mids you give, the less gain you need!  :thumb-up:

--- End quote ---

More correctly: "The more mids you give, the less overall Volume you need."  I think that's what you really meant to say, right? So just clarifying this.  :)

--- End quote ---

Well, more or less...  :lol:
Actually, what I mean is that if you use mids in the right way you don't need:

1) more gain to attempt to cut through the mix (epic fail)
2) more volume to let people hear you through the mix (killing the drummer)

I've learned and found that you've to use not more gain than you really need and to scoop mids not too much, if you want people to hear you!  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry:

--- End quote ---

Not sure I've ever noticed this.  I've always had lots of mids anyways.  Sometimes reducing them is needed, all depends really on speakers and cabs and the rest of your equipment.  I know I use a lot more mids than plenty of bands I encounter at gigs or on tour. 

I do know that more mids can be perceived as much, much louder.  i.e if you scoop them all out, you need to turn the master volume up a lot more to balance out.  If you use a lot of mids you do not need to turn the volume up as much to sound loud.

Iperfungus how do you sort out your sound for LOUD volumes?

Iperfungus:

--- Quote from: rabidgerry on February 27, 2017, 01:24:32 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Not sure I've ever noticed this.  I've always had lots of mids anyways.  Sometimes reducing them is needed, all depends really on speakers and cabs and the rest of your equipment.  I know I use a lot more mids than plenty of bands I encounter at gigs or on tour. 

I do know that more mids can be perceived as much, much louder.  i.e if you scoop them all out, you need to turn the master volume up a lot more to balance out.  If you use a lot of mids you do not need to turn the volume up as much to sound loud.

Iperfungus how do you sort out your sound for LOUD volumes?

--- End quote ---

Well, everything is always subjective, of course.

Even if it's being long time (sadly) that I don't play at LOUD volumes, generally speaking I was tuning my sound as I described above.
I played in different bands over the years: heavy metal, extreme metal, hard rock, classic rock and also a Kiss tribute band.
When I was younger, I loved metal more and I was used to scoop mids a lot and turn gain to max: at that point, you can set the volume at any level and you will NEVER cut through any mix (you will just kill people ears and do a mess).

Then I learned to set gain just a little higher than the amount I needed to play rhythm parts and the hardest solo, set mids to RIGHT level (not too low, not too high) depending on guitar pickups and speakers.
And that's it.
I never had any problem anymore and I never felt the needing of too high volume anymore.  :thumb-up:

PS. choosing a good booster for solos is a good trick as well!  :lol:

rabidgerry:
Well this is kind of going off the question a bit although appreciate your response.

As mentioned at the beginning I'm no novice so knowledge of gear boosters you name it, I'm good with all that thanks  :thumb-up:  Indeed I use a volume boost for solos even though my three piece band with only me on guitar some say I do not need one.  But to hell with them Im boost a few db anyways.

I just want to know how people go about setting their tones up for Live or Loud use.

As this is completely different from the aforementioned "Bedroom volume" levels that so many younger less experienced players are using regularly and then struggle with the change to BIG VOLUME!

So my own method is pretty random and not very defined so this is why I would like to hear others and how they go about it.  Hearing protection?  No hearing protection?  How do the know when there is enough treble?  etc.

Treble is the area I feel I adjust the most.  It harsh?  Is it Bright?  Is it fizzy?  And it's hard to tell at high volume as it's always going to be harsh when you are playing a a volume to beat your drummer.  So this is what makes it hard to tell for me.  I will try Kim's method for sure, I like the logic behind it.  But I'm curious to see how others go about doing this as more knowledge behind "loud" sound tone adjustment the better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version