Let's Get Technical > Power Amp Tech

My MT200 freaks out

(1/5) > >>

Kim:
Well, I have Microtube 200 problems now too and rather than hijack another thread I'll start my own....   ::)

I think I hurt it.    :'(   It only gets a fraction of loud as it used to, and it just "freaks out" if I try to get the kind of decent volume out of it that I think it should.  It does that Zap and Burp thing in between chords until eventually it'll go into some kind of a feedback shriek that won't stop until you hit Standby.  Swapping out the tubes made no difference.  You may remember a short time ago I thought I was having problems with "unintentionally overdriving the Loop on the MP-2" before with that Zap and Burp.  (Sounds like the name of a morning radio talk show...be the 9th caller to the Zap and Burp Show and win Metallica tickets!)  I'm pretty sure it was the MT200 acting out on me all along.  Is it possible that I was driving the Inputs too hard?  Or running the Volumes too high for too long?  Or both?  I don't play at "stupid loud" volume at band rehearsals, but the gradual decrease in its overall volume may have caused me to try to compensate by turning it up more.   :dunno:

I was hoping to still use it for the Mel9 section of my rig after acquiring the Peavey poweramp, but it doesn't work out there either; plugging into the Mono Input only resulted in a very weak signal coming from one side and not both like it should.

So, hopefully I can get in there and make this sing again.  MJMP, what should I look at inside there first?

rnolan:
Hey Kim, bummer. One thing you can try just to start (and see/hear what happens) is re-flow all the joins. Hey it can't hurt and it fixed my B200s  :thumb-up: and zap and burp is one way I could  :dunno: describe the B200s crackles I was getting.

Harley Hexxe:

--- Quote from: rnolan on February 24, 2017, 05:00:34 AM ---Hey Kim, bummer. One thing you can try just to start (and see/hear what happens) is re-flow all the joins. Hey it can't hurt and it fixed my B200s  :thumb-up: and zap and burp is one way I could  :dunno: describe the B200s crackles I was getting.

--- End quote ---

Don't you think Trullmon would have done that before sending it on to Kim?

rnolan:
Hey Harley, sorry, no idea  :dunno: , I've no knowledge of where Kim got it from. Solder joints get old, tired and vibrated, hence my suggestion...

MarshallJMP:
It happends on both channels?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version